Floppy Drive SF314 7pin DIN power connector

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

bombjack
Atarian
Atarian

Floppy Drive SF314 7pin DIN power connector

Postby bombjack » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi,
I've got Atari 520STM with SF314 floppy drive. 520 works fine. Also got power adapter for SF314. What is interesting is that SF314 has female power connector and my power adapter fro SF314 also has female power connector (?!) ... Also my SF314 power connector is DIN 7 pin (270deg).By looking at service manual I see that DIN 5 pin (180deg) male power connector is standard. I can not find single official document on internet that describes female DIN 7pin power supply connector and correct voltages on this type of connector for SF314 drive. Does anyone has any information regarding DIN 7pin (270deg) SF314 power supply connector? Here are images of my SF314, front and back:

tzok
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Floppy Drive SF314 7pin DIN power connector

Postby tzok » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Have you opened it and verified if this is an original connector? Pinout should be the same, and 2 border pins should be n.c.

bombjack
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bombjack » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi, thanks for reply. I did not opened it yet as it still has original warranty stickers (guess like 30 years old?). Had read somewhere that only the earliest models had DIN7 power connector, but could not find any official documentation to confirm this.
In the SF314 service manual there is only schematic of DIN 5pin power connector.

mouse_master
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mouse_master » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:48 am

Just tossing in my $0.02, I would not think this is an early drive, because it does not have the large eject button as seen here -> http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... isk-Drive/

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:18 am

The 7 pin din female powersupply you have got is NOT for any diskdrive. It's the powersupply for the 520ST (the one without internal diskdrive). (if you look closer the psu label should say it provides +5v, +12v and -12v)

I believe that the 5 pin din power connector is for earlier drives, since it also provides 12v, which modern floppys don't need.

according to best catalog, the pinout for the 7 din sf314 power connector is:

1 - +5vdc
2 - nc
3 - gnd
4 - +5vdc
5 - gnd
6 - +5vdc
7 - ¨gnd
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

bombjack
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bombjack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.
So my SF314 drive uses only +5V?
How about numbering of the pins? Are pins ordered clockwise? Hopefully I will not burn it before even used it. :?

Regarding female connector on SF314 I had found another one on the Internet:

https://iamarenaissancegeek.wordpress.c ... ppy-drive/

Look at picture number 5 from top.

Also had found on one of the blogs following excerpt:

"...As for power requirements, the older style casing requires a power supply that provides 5 and 12VDC and has a female connector. Later drives are 5VDC only and has a male connector. However a power supply from a 600XL, 800XL, 65XE, 130XE or an XE Game System will work with these perfectly fine."

So I can try to find and use power supply from Atari 8bit machine on my SF314?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 am

These drives draw very little current, and you can safely power it from a USB phone charger or similar small 5V PSU. Or make a splitter cable for the STM powersupply and power both the STM and the drive from it. I did that for years with my own STM and old-style (large button) SF314.

Of course, you would have to make your own cables in both cases.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Some third party external drives even drew power from the joystick port...

Anyway, I had hoped to avoid this, since my cellphone camera is broken, this is the best pic I could take from the best catalog page.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cz868v3h0hcl ... 0.jpg?dl=0

but it shows the pinout... it's follows some kind of logic, just not one that is easy to explain in text...

bombjack wrote:
So I can try to find and use power supply from Atari 8bit machine on my SF314?

Yes, according to the best catalog they got the same pinout. It's somewhat readable in my pic above...
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

bombjack
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bombjack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Cool, thanks for confirming my thoughts. ;)
Will going to make USB cable, so I need to order currently missing DIN 7 pin male plug.
Already got one charger that is rated 5V 3A, that should be enough...
Then we will finally see if drive works at all. :D

bombjack
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bombjack » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:21 am

Had made a supply cable and floppy is now powered up fine. :) I had not burned it ! :D
Here are the images of the cable made from DIN connector that is powered with any standard USB charger.

Image Image Image

Thanks all for help. :)

If you were wondering about drive - it does powers up, Atari ST does detects it, I can list some of the directories, it does reads some of the data on disk ... but it still has issues :? ...

Alert box says: "Floppy A: does not answer. Please check and insert a disk."

So it does not work properly. Has another SF314 disk drive which works fine, also Cumana drive that works fine, so this SF314 is faulty...

But this is another issue and will post it to new topic ...

tzok
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tzok » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:37 pm

USB charger may have not enough power to run a 5V only FDD, and if not the power adapter itself, also the tiny wire in the USB cable doesn't help.

This is definitely not the oldest drive, as it has STe style eject button, even the ones with large STf-like were not the oldest. Oldest ones, had PC-like, small rectangular eject button.

520ST had DIN-7 power connector, but male at the computer, so opposite than your FDD. Despite minor pinout differences DIN-7 PSU from 520ST could be used to power SF314 floppy drive. Older units, required both 5V and 12V.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”