Back from the dead

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

paulusd
Atarian
Atarian

Back from the dead

Postby paulusd » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:41 pm

After watching Videos like The 8 Bit Guy, I decided to try and resurrect my Atari ST. It worked last time it was being used full time for MIDI using Sequencer One and Breakthru. It was put away in my spare room in the house where it sat for probably over 10 years!! I've been very foolish...I've powered it up thinking it's going to work and I can just get straight back to where I left off..... Unfortunely the room was damp and all the floppy discs were very incorrectly stored in carrier bags - there's over 200!

In going through the bags, out of known working discs , none would boot the ST so I removed the top case to find the upper head in the floppy drive standing up straight and not reading the disc.... after following your guides and others , I fitted a new driver, doing a little cable mod to the floppy ribbon cable...

The Atari still doesn't read discs 100% but seems to occassionaly work.... I tried placing discs in our oven at work , and also swapping the actual inners of the floppies around ….
What would be your course of action???

Are all the floppies destroyed???

Do you guys think I should still strip it , clean the circuit , retrobright the case and continue??

Paul

Timnaber
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Back from the dead

Postby Timnaber » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:37 pm

If you get to the desktop, absolutely continue.

I have never been a fan of retro-brite because I have heard stories of it not turning out even.

With all of the stress the disks have gone through over the years, they may be bad. If you plan to test them all, be prepared to clean your floppy drive often as the media can shred. Check the floppy drive after every disk you try, because if it does shred your next disk will probably have problems and possibly ruin it. The fact that they occasionally work indicates that the drive is still good.
ST: TT030 10/32 MB; Falcon 030 14MB(2); Mega STe 4 MB; Mga 4 stock(2), 1040STf 4 MB; 1040STf Stock(2); Megafile 44 (2); Megafile 30(2)

8-Bit: 320XE w/Ultraspeed+/FIXXL; 320XE; 130XE w/Ultimate 1MB; 800XL w/Ultimate 1MB; 800XL w/Omnimon XL/Boss XL/Omniview XL; 800 w/Incognito; 48K 800; Black Box Enhanced (3); 1050 Super Archiver II; 1050 Happy (2); XF551 360K(2); XF551 720K; 8-bit Hard Drive Tower 480 MBs.

paulusd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paulusd » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Thank you for the advice, I've had this for a while - - early 2000's I upgraded the memory to 1mb by soldering in another set of memory chips from another ST ... But after so many years of improper storage it's bound to have problems. Yes it will boot to desktop and I've had it running the old ST Speech PRG and Fastcopy 3.

It confused me a little with floppy disk conversion..... the stickyin the forum tells you to cut wire 10 on the floppy drive ribbon cable and join the floppy header end to wire 12...... that did not work, the drive didn'tfunction at all .....Looking online a site recommended that for my Mitsumi drive I should cut wire 12 and solder the header end to wire 10......

If not Retro Brite, which would be hard finding 8=10 hours of sunshine in the UK right now, what would be effective for a yellow case????
Paul

paulusd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paulusd » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Got no idea what's happening to this this now....
the head in the floppy drive just bumps into the endstop then repeats about 3-4 seconds later … after 2 minutes or so the Atari boots and shows floppy icons but clicking on one leads to a repeat of the first situation....
I replaced the floppy cable after I somewhat butchered it , and internally modded a Sony MPF920...with the same result......HELP!!!!!!!
Paul

paulusd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paulusd » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:56 am

As i'm a complete newbie to the world of Atari repair, I do however work in electronics..... is anyone prepared to help me with this? over 400 views but only one reply???
paul

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:42 pm

Well... if some disks work and some do not then the cause is probably dirty disks... as you said they had been stored quite badly. And if the disks are dirty then changing the diskdrive would not matter, the dirt from one disk will get stuck in the drive and making all disks non-working. You then need to clean the drive with one of those special cleaning disks... see link:https://www.floppydisk.com/floppy-drive-cleaner

And of course you need to clean the actual disks... the following tool is helpful to do so: https://picclick.fr/35-Floppy-Disk-Cleaning-Tool-3D-Printed-202504829923.html

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:06 am

paulusd wrote:Got no idea what's happening to this this now....
the head in the floppy drive just bumps into the endstop then repeats about 3-4 seconds later … after 2 minutes or so the Atari boots and shows floppy icons but clicking on one leads to a repeat of the first situation....
I replaced the floppy cable after I somewhat butchered it , and internally modded a Sony MPF920...with the same result......HELP!!!!!!!
Paul

It's always a good idea to try to understand the mods before executing them.

In this case it is the difference in how PC adress the floppy and how Atari does it. The IBM world, to make it easy on themselves, always set floppy drive ID to 1, if you add a second drive, the famous twist in the middle of the ribbon cable on PC's switch the ID0 and ID1 signals... So all floppys you'll find that are not original ST floppys will be set to ID1.

But atari expects the drive to be assigned ID0... Some drives have jumper settings for that, but many do not.

There is a guide here: viewtopic.php?t=14049
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”