Question on using Atari St in Modern age

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

ikilby
Atarian
Atarian

Question on using Atari St in Modern age

Postby ikilby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 am

All,

I have pulled my Atari ST out of the loft along with what seems like hundreds of boxed games.
My St's floppy still works and can load these games, but they take up such a huge amount of room with the boxes etc.

What is the best way to play these games in the modern age?
Is it back them up to an SD card and play that way i.e Gotek replacing Floppy, assuming the disks can be copied?
Is there a better way as i am well behind on the latest tech for Atari St's

If i get these games onto modern media - is there much of a market for the originals or shall i just trash them?

Regards

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Question on using Atari St in Modern age

Postby stormy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 am

You'll be able to find all the originals as online downloads due to their age, then transfer to an sd card if you buy an ultra satan or a hxc floppy emulator. The box sets, if you're not that attached to them, I would put on eBay or sell directly in this forum as I am sure there are Atari game collectors out there. Definitely don't dispose of them :)

You can buy either the ultrasatan or hxc floppy emulator here: https://lotharek.pl/
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

sety
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Question on using Atari St in Modern age

Postby sety » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 pm

I love the way your floppy drive still works, and mostly your disks still work!

The best way is to use floppies. :) There is something nice about having a clean disk and drive and listening to the stepper move one track at a time until the game loads.
ATARI FALCON/CT60 @99/25Mhz 512MB - ATARI FALCON/CT60e @101.5/16Mhz 256MB - 520STF 1MB TF68020 - 520ST unmodified (my very first computer) - A couple of useless XE's - and a really cool Atari desktop calculator :)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”