Help getting my ST out of the attic and hooked up to a modern LCD monitor

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

bfollowell
Atarian
Atarian

Help getting my ST out of the attic and hooked up to a modern LCD monitor

Postby bfollowell » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm

OK, it's taken me almost 25 years, but I'm officially fed up with having my ST in the attic.

I was always an 8-bit guy. The STs came out when I was in college and, as much as I drooled over them, I just couldn't afford one. I bought a used 1040STFM setup in about '94, but I've never really had a place to put it. These days, if I need my 8-bit or 16-bit Atari fix, I typically play around through emulation. Still, it's killing me knowing I have this classic old machine sitting in a storage bin in the attic. My gaming desktop has a slide out keyboard tray, so there's room on the desk for my 1040. I just don't have room for an extra old CRT monitor.

This leads into the reason for my post. What is the current, best way to hook an ST up to an LCD monitor? I won't be buying a new monitor, so I'm planning to use an extra HDMI input on my current monitor. Naturally, since my monitor is only about three years old, it doesn't recognize the old 15kHz horizontal signal from the ST.

I looked around through the forums, but most of what I'm seeing is 8-10 years old. I've seen several videos and posts about a GBS8220 card to convert the ST signal to VGA. I've also read some about a similar converter, the Ambery AV-1M. From there, it would be easy enough to convert the VGA signal to HDMI. That's a lot of adapting and converting though. I'm wondering if there's a better way to do what I want. I'm only willing to spend about $100 or so to accomplish this, and I realize the results aren't going to be perfect. I'll settle for usable. I'd mostly be using this for gaming, rather than any serious computing or productivity work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Help getting my ST out of the attic and hooked up to a modern LCD monitor

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 pm

We all want solutions that are good, beautiful and cheap; but finding them is usually not easy.

You say that your main interest is for games, so it is obvious that you need a solution for color.
SCART adapter cables are cheap, but perhaps your monitor does not have that connector or you live in a country where it is not frequent. This is an example of the SCART cable:

http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php? ... &id_lang=1

Another solution is to buy a multisync monitor that supports 15 Khz, but you say you do not want to buy a monitor.

So maybe you're interested in this device that your monitor could take advantage of, but its price far exceeds the budget that you have limited;

https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

bfollowell
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bfollowell » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Yes, I forget that Atari computers were sometimes more popular in Europe than they were here at home in the U.S. I should've mentioned that's where I'm from, so SCART is pretty rare.

Yes, I just can't justify spending $200 or more for something like this and I'm definitely not looking to clutter up my desk with another monitor when I already have two.

Silly_Pony
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Silly_Pony » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 pm

What you're looking for is a SCART cable from the ST and a good SCART-HDMI converter box. I don't know whats good one of those, maybe forums of TV nerds can tell you.
1040STe, 1040STf

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 am

My reaearch have found me 5 things;
Gbs board, converts rgb to vga: pro: 50fps conversion, cheap, con: some small quality artefacts, very slight delay

Scart to hdmi converter; pro: excellent quality, cheap, con: 25 fps conversion rate, slight delay

Retrotink: composite to vga conversion, pro: 50 fps conversion rate, excellent quality, no delay con: more expensive, quality limitrd to composite output

Ossc: rgb to hdmi, pro: 50 fps conversion, no delay, excdllent quality, con: expensive

Framemeister: rgb to hmdi pro: 50 fps conversion, image post processing, excellent quality, cons: most expensive, requires cable adapters

Ofc the pro and cons are not exhaustively described, but it gives you an idea of your options.

Trixster
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Trixster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 am

I think the gbs only pushes out 60hz unless the firmware is altered, or you stick it into bypass mode and hook an Arduino up to it. Complicated.
Atari Falcon + CT60e | Atari 2600 | Atari Jaguar | A1200 + 80mhz B1260 + Indi AGA2 + Ide-fix Express | SNES
A4000/060 CS Mk2 + Indi AGA + Voodoo3 + G3 800Mhz PPC + Deneb | A3000/060 + CV64 + Deneb + 486SLC2 | PS1
Acorn A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B | Atom | Master Turbo | A500 | C64 | 3DO | Saturn | PS2 | CPC6128

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”