Attic find STFM FDD boot problems

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

DavidMReynolds
Atarian
Atarian

Attic find STFM FDD boot problems

Postby DavidMReynolds » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Hey folks - I've been reading here for a few weeks, this is my first time posting:

I have come into possession of a gorgeous old 520STFM from a family member's attic - I'm planning to channel some of its retro energy to write an 80's novel on it. It's turning in to quite the procrastination time-sink...

First off - TV-out was snapped, so I re-soldered.
    Then I'm getting a black screen with white border. After extensive googling and testing I realised it was bad memory, and ordered the 4MB upgrade kit on ebay, along with a SM124 monitor.
    Fitted the upgrade - finally the STFM boots into GEM!
    Now I try loading a disk, only to get the 'drive A: not responding' error. I replaced the caps on the drive (epson 380) with no success - so it went in the bin and I ordered a new drive.
    New drive arrives, and now I can finally see the drive in GEM and browse files on disks!
    BUT - whenever I try to actually boot into any software / games, I get stuck in a white screen / disk access / restart loop, and never manage to boot anything.

I can't see anything wrong with the PSU, and drive access seems fine in GEM. Anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks in advance folks!

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Attic find STFM FDD boot problems

Postby Greenious » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Generally, with an Atari that's been sitting around for a while, reseating all chips/cable connections usually fix a lot of problems.

The 2" drop is the lazy mans approch to this. (Lift your atari a few inches above the table and let it drop)
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Greenious wrote:Lift your atari a few inches above the table and let it drop
...but don't do this with an STe as it will break into pieces. For some reason their cases became much more fragile after years, than STf cases.

ranix
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ranix » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:00 pm

don't do it with any Atari, only an idiot would do that

open it up and inspect the board for problems like leaking caps and press on the seated chips to seat them firmly in their chip carriers. Consider replacing the capacitors on the board

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”