Phantom accelerator (by Phanatic).

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Phantom accelerator (by Phanatic).

Postby Atarieterno » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:33 pm

I am organizing old documents and have found these instructions to install a "Phantom", presumably in a Falcon.
The web of its creator seems inactive; Is someone currently building this device? Is there an accelerator for the ST range?
I do not have the device, just this brief installation manual:

Phantom (by Phanatic).pdf

Phantom (picture 1).jpg

Phantom (dispositivo y manual).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Phantom accelerator (by Phanatic).

Postby ctirad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm

It's a Falcon accelerator designed by me about 20 years ago. I initially "borrowed" the clock-patch and on-off switch via ACIA pin from the Nemesis accelerator. Much later I also designed a new clock patch based on two chips instead of the one that is more suitable for use with the the CT6x acclerators. There was also an SMD version available produced by P.B.S. under my permission.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:19 pm

ctirad wrote:It's a Falcon accelerator designed by me about 20 years ago. I initially "borrowed" the clock-patch and on-off switch via ACIA pin from the Nemesis accelerator. Much later I also designed a new clock patch based on two chips instead of the one that is more suitable for use with the the CT6x acclerators. There was also an SMD version available produced by P.B.S. under my permission.

It is an honor to meet the creator of that device, we belong to a time in common.
It seems an effective and low cost device: why is nobody currently producing it? I think CT60 is hard to come by, it needs expensive components and they are not modern (like SuperVidel), instead Phantom looks like a simple and functional patch.
Greetings.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:53 am

Atarieterno wrote:Phantom looks like a simple and functional patch.

Hoho, carefully. :) While Phantom is certainly way cheaper and simpler to build, it's far more difficult to install. You have to cut/scratch/solder a couple of very tiny pins (take a look at the DSP and you will get the idea). Something like CENTurbo II installation, just without the CT2 card. ;)

Having said that, I have a few units which I plan to install plus I know that Edu from Spain is slowly progressing in this area, too (last time I heard from him that he needs a Falcon to test it).

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 am

As micro said. The device is extremely simple. One 50Mhz crystal oscillator, 74F00 for 50/32Mhz switching and one 74F04 as a clock output buffre and 32Mhz to 500Hz clock divider on the main device and 74F04 + SN7404N on the clock patch. However, the installation required some skills. Unfortunately, it is imposiblle to do overclocking

On the other side, the result is excellent, as it speeds evererything by a factor of 156% (including BUS a DSP) and thanks to higher Videl pixel clock, one can make very high VGA resolutions and refresh rates.

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 am

Send a message to Tuxie, he is making these. But he is not making the clock patch, so I made that myself using the schematics provided by mikro. It is sensational :)
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks for all for your answers.
The device sounds very interesting, but my small welding skills are equivalent to my qualities for classical dancer.
Greetings.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:05 pm

ctirad wrote:As micro said. The device is extremely simple. One 50Mhz crystal oscillator, 74F00 for 50/32Mhz switching and one 74F04 as a clock output buffre and 32Mhz to 500Hz clock divider on the main device and 74F04 + SN7404N on the clock patch.

Are the schematics available? The circuit sounds very simple, from your description it sounds like the stability is taken care of by the clock patch and not the Phantom itself.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:46 pm

joska wrote:Are the schematics available? The circuit sounds very simple, from your description it sounds like the stability is taken care of by the clock patch and not the Phantom itself.

Not exactly standard one but mzry has succeeded to build one by this: https://mikrosk.github.io/clockpatch/Clockpatch-2.2.svg

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 pm

This looks like a proper schematics of my updated clock-patch.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”