Atari Mega 1 + SH205: how to boot?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Zokratez
Atarian
Atarian

Atari Mega 1 + SH205: how to boot?

Postby Zokratez » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi all

I recently picked up a Atari Mega 1 (Mega ST) with a SH205 hard drive.
If I only power on the computer and not the hard drive, then it boots. I have some floppies with games like International Karate and I can start these. When I first power on the hard drive and then the Mega 1, then it boots from the hard drive, and the image below appears with "Multivec installed..."
Nothing happens after this. I have tried holding down Control and then turning on the drive and computer, it makes no difference.
When a floppy is placed in the computer and I turn on the hard drive and the computer, it will not boot from the floppy, the Multivec screen appears.

Any advice on what I can do to get the hard drive working properly? I do not own any boot floppies or something of that kind.
The Mega 1 has the 1.4 (1.04) ROM chips on the motherboard.

This is my very first Atari home computer, so any help is welcome!
Thanks in advance.

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari Mega 1 + SH205: how to boot?

Postby arf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Zokratez wrote:Any advice on what I can do to get the hard drive working properly? I do not own any boot floppies or something of that kind.
The Mega 1 has the 1.4 (1.04) ROM chips on the motherboard.

Connect the harddisk to the MegaST, but have it powered off. Boot the MegaST from ROM, insert a floppy with a hard disk utility (e.g. CBHD or ICDPro, both free). Switch on the harddisk. Now start the HD utility from floppy and run manually the driver (which typically is copied into the bootsector of the HD; but we want to skip that in this case).

The driver should show sth. like "C: D: registered" or so. After the software has quit, you’re in the desktop again. Go to the EXTRAS menu, click "register drive" or similar, and "mount" drive C:, D: … whatever.

Afterwards you can inspect what’s on the disk. If you want to permanently install the driver, run the HD utility itself and install the driver to the harddisk.

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Zokratez wrote:I recently picked up a Atari Mega 1 (Mega ST) with a SH205 hard drive.

One more thing: the harddisk in the SH205 is a very old MFM drive. It can’t park its heads automatically when switching off. These need to be parked manually with a special programme (attached, rename to SHIP.PRG). Close all open HD windows in the desktop (C:, D:). Run it from floppy. After the program ran, there must be no further HD access (like opening a C: window in the desktop), otherwise it is un-parked again. Now you can power off the harddisk safely.

Switching off without parking leads to head-crashes, which will destroy the HD surface and the HD itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zokratez
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Zokratez » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks for the replies arf!
First of all, I'll be getting a floppy drive so I can put those programs on there...

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”