Entering the Atari scene after 20+ year Hiatus PLZ Help :)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

rattyjunk
Atarian
Atarian

Entering the Atari scene after 20+ year Hiatus PLZ Help :)

Postby rattyjunk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 am

I purchased a Atari 520STE with 4mb of ram and TOS 2.06 (PAL UK) in 2010 and a scart cable from this guy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-ST-Hig ... 0978089310

I played around for a couple of day and then didn’t touch it until now. It still works which is great but the crt I had at the time is gone, however my old 2008 Sony Bravia TV KDL - W4000 will display the Atari Signal it seem without issue. The picture obviously is as clear as a PC display but I guess that’s understandable.

The only issue that I have is there seem to be a bit of feed back over the speaker or maybe it’s best described as a hum. It’s rather annoying and I wondered if this was an issue with the cable or my system and whether or not it can be fixed.

I see that people use upscalers and all sorts of things to get a perfect or some what perfect picture, will this sort of device help me?

I know the is a long list of old monitors and how they function with the ST but I was wondering if you kind people could give me a short list of specific items, with links if possible that I can source on eBay or other sites that will give me a nice upscale picture with improved video quality connected over rgb scart and vga. Will be gaming mostly so no need for high res but my TV does support it.

So with all the waffle out the way it’s basically

1) How to stop the noise/feedback over scart rgb
2) Will upscalers or something like OSSC https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/ Help with the noise and improve image quality.
3) Just a short list of items that work for you guys that have your ST’s connected to a modern TV and if not the best monitor setup that I should aim for

I would appreciate the help and if a massive crt I’d the best option then so be it :)

Cheers and I hope I haven’t ask for to much all in one go :).

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Entering the Atari scene after 20+ year Hiatus PLZ Help :)

Postby mzry » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Hum noise from the sound output can be caused by many things, usually bad power supply caps. I recommend buying these from Exxos, the STE DAC noise fix solved my noisy sound output. I also did a psu recap.

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/
STE DAC NOISE FIX
UBE VIDEO ADAPTER (for VGA output if you want it)
PSU re-cap kit for your particular model PSU
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

Istasha
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Istasha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I did some testing with my STFM on several TVs (the first of which blew the Atari's fuse and caused me a fair it of grief) and in my experience a noticeable hum was present on all the televisions I connected to. In addition the sound was slightly distorted. The solution proved to be as simple as turning down the volume on the TV which completely removed the hum. Interestingly there was not a significant drop in volume - my suspicion is that the ST's audio signal is too hot though I have not been able to verify it yet.

Not sure if this is the same issue as you are experiencing, but it is always worth an attempt. Hope you get it working soon!

Edit: I should mention that I did these tests with the same SCART cable as you and that all the televisions were modern flat screen TVs.

rattyjunk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rattyjunk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Thank you guys for the info. Soldering scares me to death.

Does anyone know of anyone in the Somerset area or perhaps in the UK that could fit the STE DAC chip and service the ST.

I’d update the PSU but there out of stock

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”