ATARI STE 1MEG NOT WORKING!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

jazzy1892
Atarian
Atarian

ATARI STE 1MEG NOT WORKING!

Postby jazzy1892 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Hey guys, last year I finally managed to get my hands on a STE 1meg, I have wanted one ever since I had an old 520 STFM in my childhood! However, I can never seem to get hold of a working one! This time however, I got it, supposedly working and guess what didn't! I managed to get it "sorted" with new capacitors, when my sisters Boyfriend, knew of a guy who recapped, it was working when I got it back and so decided to purchase a ULTRASATAN. When I connected everything, the STE didn't function at all, no output on the TV, no lights on the STE, no greens, no orange, nothing!

What could of happened, it has been defiantly recapped, as I have the old caps in a box, it was working, then as I said after connecting the ultra satan, nothing works!! Obviously very frustrated as I seem to be going arounf in circles, spending more and more money and little if anything back!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: ATARI STE 1MEG NOT WORKING!

Postby joska » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Did it work before recapping?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:21 pm

I take it you are saying it's dead WITHOUT the Ultrasatan connected now?

One possibility is that if any of the parts of the system (STE, Ultrasatan, Monitor) were already powered at the moment you connected them together you may unfortunately have damaged something - there is an unwritten rule that all parts of the system must be switched OFF before you interconnect them, connecting one or more components together when one or more of the parts are already switched on always carries a risk of causing damage.

What do you have in the way of diagnostic skills and equipment?

Do you have a multimeter? If so would you feel confident about taking the top cover off and checking the output voltages on the power supply unit? Have you checked the fuse in the AC power lead, either with a meter, by putting another fuse in the plug or by trying another AC lead? (You don't say which country you are in).

jazzy1892
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jazzy1892 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:06 pm

hey thanks for the responses, it didnt work before being recapped, but did work after, I did make sure that I didnt power it all on at once, but basically was WORKING before the ULTRASATAN, no dead lol!

I am from the UK, its a basic plug, I have tried several other kettle leads, but to no avail. I havent got any diagnosis skills so hard to say!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 pm

jazzy1892 wrote:it didnt work before being recapped, but did work after,

In what way didn't it work before recapping? Completely dead, like now?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fragedthewife » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:37 am

Hi :)
I have a good technical background in electronics,

Just recently I have been back playing around with my Atari, I plugged in the kettle type power connection while the Atari switch was in the on position.
The fitment was quite tight and I wiggled the connection around so much that It actually took out the fuse on the internal power supply.

It was a simple fix, remove the top cover, then remove the shield covering the power supply, from memory it was a 240v 1amp fuse
simple change and all was well again, I hope this is the same for you.

If you feel unsure of the above then I'd suggest that the person who replaced the capacitors take a look at this for you. As id expect if they are competent enough to replace the capacitors then a simple fuse change would be easy enough.

You didn't say whether it was a power supply re-cap or main board recap?

Keep us posted this may help others in the future.

jazzy1892
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jazzy1892 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 pm

hey guys, the capacitors were recapped, nothing else. Before it was recapped it was dead, thats how it was bought, there may be a fuse issue, seeing as this happened before. I still dont understand how it was recapped, worked, then when I connected the ULTRASATAN, it died!

jazzy1892
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jazzy1892 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:03 pm

the main board was recapped

Silly_Pony
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Silly_Pony » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I wouldn't have bothered recapping the main board without also doing the power supply, to be honest.

Not many engineers on here anymore best try exxos forum
1040STe, 1040STf

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”