Beginning of very long journey

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

rmahlert
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Beginning of very long journey

Postby rmahlert » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:01 pm

From Best Electronics website
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/addendum.htm

40 pin 520ST / 1040ST / STE / Mega / MegaSTE / TT / Stacy / Falcon right angle ST Cartridge connector. CB101494 $9.95

40 pin 520ST / 1040ST / STE / Mega / MegaSTE / TT / Stacy / Falcon right angle ST Cartridge connector tested "Solder Pull". CB101494P $4.95

Best electronics IC page has the
( http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm )
Videl for $45
68882 FPU $60
68LC030 CPU $25
68901FN $15
No clue how many of each.

Rob

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:41 am

Cyprian wrote:
mpattonm wrote:
PeterS wrote:Could an alternative connector be used allowing cartridges to be modified ?

Whats the point? All current cartridges would be useless anyway.

it the worst case, an user can reuse a connector from dead ST

Right, but I really do not want to put an effort for "the worst case". I mean few people could move them from donor boards, right. But unless there is a source for new replacements on open market, I am not going to include Atari ROM port in F030NG.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:28 pm

mpattonm wrote:
Cyprian wrote:
mpattonm wrote:Whats the point? All current cartridges would be useless anyway.

it the worst case, an user can reuse a connector from dead ST

Right, but I really do not want to put an effort for "the worst case". I mean few people could move them from donor boards, right. But unless there is a source for new replacements on open market, I am not going to include Atari ROM port in F030NG.

I don't understand the statement. You won't even put the ROM port footprint on the board so we can move over a donor?

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Perhaps a custom header connection could be put on the motherboard, something that uses the same amount of data lines. Then if people want to, they could make their own cables to connect from the motherboard to the back of their 'case' or whatever they end up using. Please forgive my ignorance if this would require a lot of re-routing to the motherboard pcb.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:34 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
mpattonm wrote:
Cyprian wrote:it the worst case, an user can reuse a connector from dead ST

I don't understand the statement. You won't even put the ROM port footprint on the board so we can move over a donor?

Exactly. I do not want to sound harsch, really, but unless someone finds same/compatible connector on open market, I will not include it. I am not willing to spend time on re-routing the board to support such a marginal case.
If you insist on a feature F030NG will not provide, get a Falcon. Or build one. Or design something that fully suits your needs, there is even Eagle library with most parts available on my GitHub for download, this is a very good head start for you.

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:40 pm

stormy wrote:Perhaps a custom header connection could be put on the motherboard, something that uses the same amount of data lines. Then if people want to, they could make their own cables to connect from the motherboard to the back of their 'case' or whatever they end up using. Please forgive my ignorance if this would require a lot of re-routing to the motherboard pcb.

Internal CPU port is already extended with ROM3 and ROM4 signals, so this is perfectly doable.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:46 pm

mpattonm wrote:
stormy wrote:Perhaps a custom header connection could be put on the motherboard, something that uses the same amount of data lines. Then if people want to, they could make their own cables to connect from the motherboard to the back of their 'case' or whatever they end up using. Please forgive my ignorance if this would require a lot of re-routing to the motherboard pcb.

Internal CPU port is already extended with ROM3 and ROM4 signals, so this is perfectly doable.

Cool, I think that would be enough for anyone needing it to add in the functionality.

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:05 pm

I will take a look at https://www.samtec.com/products/mec2-20-01-l-dv-np if this could somehow be adapted as right-angle plugin module.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”