Beginning of very long journey

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Beginning of very long journey

Postby Rustynutt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm

joska wrote:IDE is an integral part of the Falcon custom chipset, so replacing it does not make sense.

Once again I reported a post, not posted as a comment. Sorry about that.

For a couple bucks users can purchase a small iDE to SATA adapter.

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 pm

joska wrote:
mikro wrote:
mpattonm wrote:Switching DSP to 56301 will be a little setback, but hey - its a fun project and thats where the fun is. So back to the schematics.

Awesome. Just want to mention it - in this case some minor changes to the TOS are going to be needed.

If TOS needs to be changed to work with the 56301, how would compatibility with games and demos be?

When reading through the MOT docs, it states the 56301 is object code compatible

Is it the additional DSP memory and possible address difference your concern?

I have a 56301 PCI development card I was thinking of trying to use under Hatari, of course with change to access the PCI over the emulator, if possible. At a minimum, some of dml's bench test. Purchased it with the possibility of using it on the CTPCI. On a standard Falcon, if some how the DSP was replaced, think address changes in the GAL could redirect location.
Not sure if the CT60 uses the GAL's to interrupt.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm

mikro wrote:Your gut feeling was right, it can not work like that. I even guessed it, Videl is indeed using VID32 to sync with the Combel (for ST-RAM access). So *that* is the reason why they put 32.08... for compatibility on the external pin when master clock was changed. You are free to modify 25.175 or external clock (they work independently from the system bus) but not VID32, must be the same as master clock.

So you can rewire it a bit - instead of switching between 32.08.../custom clock on VID32 you keep the line from the master clock on VID32 and put the exact same switch on the external clock pin.

Not sure if I understand correctly, do you mean something like.... this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm

mpattonm wrote:Not sure if I understand correctly, do you mean something like.... this?

Uhm, stop listening to me. Your v2.1 is totally fine, I don't know what I was thinking (it seems that I'd overlooked that the masterclock *is* shared with both the Videl and the Combel input).

If you like, you can add a similar switch (32.08/custom clock) to EXTCLK - similarly as on the CT2. So:

- if input to Combel == 32.08 MHz then EXTCLK would be wired from external source (video connector)
- if input to Combel == custom then EXTCLK = 32.08 MHz (for backward RGB compatibility)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:14 pm

I have remembered about one suggestion seen in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=33093#p340349

Maybe, when routing the PCB, you could somehow take this idea into account? So the next-gen expansion card wouldn't expand only CPU (and possibly TT RAM) but also ST RAM in one go. All that is needed is to somehow place the ST RAM headers close to the expansion slot headers so one PCB can be placed on all four headers at once.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”