USB DVD writer

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

USB DVD writer

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:04 pm

This is a question for those who tried a USB DVD writer with NetUSBee, Unicorn or Lightning VME.

I see the DVD writer in usb.acc, as "USB2.0 External Mass Storage Device". When I do the scan in ExtenDOS 4.10, it scans the USB bus but doesn't find the DVD writer. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm using NetUSBee, it accesses the usb thumb drives normally, so it is working.

I'm using an externally powered hub. Will using a USB y-cable make a difference (I'm using a normal USB cable) ?

Thanks.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: USB DVD writer

Postby czietz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Well, I only can say that it works with the Lightning VME and its version of the storage driver. :) Reading CDs/DVDs, that is; I haven't tried writing because I lack suitable software.

Two things to note:
1. The stock FreeMiNT storage driver does not expose SFF-8020 devices (such as CD/DVD drives) through the SCSIDRV interface for whatever reason. That's most likely the reason that your drive isn't even found by ExtenDOS.
2. Indeed the supply current can be an issue. For example my CD/DVD drives draws up to 1.3 A, far more than the 500 mA allowed by the USB standard therefore tripping the overcurrent protection of the Lightning VME. The user either needs to use an externally powered hub -- like you -- with a suitable current delivery capability or he needs to disable -- at his own risk! -- the Lightning VME's overcurrent protection. When I power my drive (with OCP off) directly from the VME bus via the Lightning VME, I can see the screen of my TT dimming e.g. when the drive spins up. Probably not the best idea to draw so much current from the TT's PSU.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm

czietz wrote:Well, I only can say that it works with the Lightning VME and its version of the storage driver. :) Reading CDs/DVDs, that is; I haven't tried writing because I lack suitable software.

Two things to note:
1. The stock FreeMiNT storage driver does not expose SFF-8020 devices (such as CD/DVD drives) through the SCSIDRV interface for whatever reason. That's most likely the reason that your drive isn't even found by ExtenDOS.
2. Indeed the supply current can be an issue. For example my CD/DVD drives draws up to 1.3 A, far more than the 500 mA allowed by the USB standard therefore tripping the overcurrent protection of the Lightning VME. The user either needs to use an externally powered hub -- like you -- with a suitable current delivery capability or he needs to disable -- at his own risk! -- the Lightning VME's overcurrent protection. When I power my drive (with OCP off) directly from the VME bus via the Lightning VME, I can see the screen of my TT dimming e.g. when the drive spins up. Probably not the best idea to draw so much current from the TT's PSU.

Thank you very much.
1. I remember seeing that change in the lightning source. I'll try it in my revised storage driver and report here.
2. I, too wouldn't want to power from the PSU (a Pico in Falcon 060). The specs for my hub is 5V, 500 mA/port output, so that may not be enough, I will need a y-cable to get 1.0 amp.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:50 am

Update: czietz was right on. After doing the changes to storage.prg, the dvd writer is recognized by ExtenDOS, and I can read CDs, copy files, etc. There are still two problems:

1. Media change is not recognized, eg. if I eject a CD, and insert another one, it shows the files of the first one.

2. It is not seen as a writer in CD Writer Suite, so it cannot be used as such. Perhaps writers are in another class of devices?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:51 am

Wow... great to see so much exciting activity and stuff going on for the TT.
It is a nice change to see TT not being neglected for new hardware.... USB networking, USB storage and USB DVD writer.
Not to mention the Thunder Storm as well. :D
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 am

Perdrix24 wrote:2. It is not seen as a writer in CD Writer Suite, so it cannot be used as such. Perhaps writers are in another class of devices?

Assuming that CD Writer Suite uses the SCSIDRV interface. usb_scsidrv.c and usb_storage.c are a bit selective which SCSI commands they will (sucessfully) transmit to a device. You could use SCSIMON to see which commands CD Writer Suite tries to send to your USB DVD writer and add support for them to the USB storage driver.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 am

czietz wrote:Well, I only can say that it works with the Lightning VME and its version of the storage driver. :) Reading CDs/DVDs, that is; I haven't tried writing because I lack suitable software.

It would be nice to see those improvements in the storage driver in FreeMiNT's sources as patches or pull requests :D

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”