ST floppy drive issues

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

DaleWalters
Atarian
Atarian

ST floppy drive issues

Postby DaleWalters » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 am

I recently had a issue with an Atari 1040 I purchased. The floppy drive would boot then not work. I installed a used Samsung 1.44mb drive soldered on drive select 0 and plugged it in. It worked! But then the drive would not read disks again. This is a known good drive and I installed it properly. The problem is always the same. The head on the floppy drive will bounce back and forth in the same spot and will not attempt to read the disk. I had the same issue on the drive I replaced. For some reason it will work every so often.

Is there a software issue with the Atari not reading disks that I am not aware of? I have the cable plugged in backwards to the drive and everything works as it is supposed to. I am ONLY reading 720K disks, but when I attempt to read disks it either works or it does not. I have done a full restore on the computer and cleaned it up and down. Are there any suggestions I might try?

DaleWalters
Atarian
Atarian

Re: ST floppy drive issues

Postby DaleWalters » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 am

I recently had a issue with an Atari 1040 I purchased. The floppy drive would boot then not work. I installed a used Samsung 1.44mb drive soldered on drive select 0 and plugged it in. It worked! But then the drive would not read disks again. This is a known good drive and I installed it properly. The problem is always the same. The head on the floppy drive will bounce back and forth in the same spot and will not attempt to read the disk. I had the same issue on the drive I replaced. For some reason it will work every so often.

Is there a software issue with the Atari not reading disks that I am not aware of? I have the cable plugged in backwards to the drive and everything works as it is supposed to. I am ONLY reading 720K disks, but when I attempt to read disks it either works or it does not. I have done a full restore on the computer and cleaned it up and down. Are there any suggestions I might try?

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: ST floppy drive issues

Postby Gaiyan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:31 am

When you say that floppy drive would boot then not work, do you mean that the disk actually had an auto folder or accessories that it executed during boot? Or that the desktop appeared almost instantly because the disk was in the drive?

When you say that the 1.44MB drive worked, how do you mean it worked? Did it open a disk and show its contents or even executed a program from it?

If indeed both drives actually work for awhile and then stop working, I'd probably start by looking into the power supply and floppy disk controller.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”