Upgrade path

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

tsmvp
Atarian
Atarian

Upgrade path

Postby tsmvp » Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm

Gents,

Given all the hassle I am experiencing with the UltraSatan/HDDRIVER (not due to bad products at all - far from that) I guess it all gets down to the actual Atari ST hardware in hands.
It seems to be a 512Kb model, 520STFM with TOS 1.02. As I want to minimize the hassle regarding transferring files back and forth between the ST and a PC (Windows 10, if that matters) it seems the way to go, before trying to do anything with the UltraSatan, is as follows:
1. Upgrade the TOS. It is my understanding these are socketed ROMs that I can simply pull out and drop the new ones in. If that is the case, which version should I go for? Usually running the latest is the same no matter the OS, what means if you run Windows, stick with the N-1 release unless you are brave and want to face the issues that come with the latest and greatest.
2. Optional. Do a RAM upgrade as it seems 512Kb can barely run anything. As I intend at one stage to use the ST to drive my Roland Boutique modules, it seems 512Kb is simply a no-go. I know about the 4MB upgrade. Is that the way to go?

Thanks a lot. :cheers:

CR

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Upgrade path

Postby joska » Sat May 26, 2018 7:42 pm

TOS: Go for 1.04 for best compatibility with games. If games and (old) demos are not so important, 2.06 is a good choice but more expensive.
RAM: As much as you can :) Nowadays there is no reason to not go for 4Mb when you're upgrading.

Also, a Gotek or HxC floppy emulator is handy for exchanging data with your PC. Very easy to download all those floppy images and just put them on the Gotek/HxC USB-stick/SD-card. Or get yourself a USB floppydrive for your PC. More fun with real disks, but reliability can be questionable with 30 year old disks.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

qazuio
Atariator
Atariator

Postby qazuio » Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Would it not cost less and save hassle by buying a 1040ste off of Ebay?
One with socketed simms.

....or this one, already has 4mb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-520-ST ... SwH4hbAzPM

....be interesting to see what this one goes for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-workin ... 1438.l2649

Some nice upgrades and price not too high, at the moment :megaphone: :megaphone:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat May 26, 2018 8:08 pm

qazuio wrote:....be interesting to see what this one goes for?

Some nice upgrades and price not too high, at the moment :megaphone: :megaphone:

Another one with a molested case :( When will people learn not to destroy things that are not made anymore?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

tsmvp
Atarian
Atarian

Postby tsmvp » Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm

joska wrote:
qazuio wrote:....be interesting to see what this one goes for?

Another one with a molested case :( When will people learn not to destroy things that are not made anymore?

I am with you on that. All the stuff I have, have zero external modifications. When my floppy died I refused to get a PC drive and cut the case. Found an original Atari one and replaced it. Working perfectly.
I have to agree it may be a much better thing to just buy a 1040ST already upgraded and with a newer TOS than dealing with mine. I will probably do that and then sell mine that is in pretty mint shape. :cheers:

CR

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 am

joska wrote:TOS: Go for 1.04 for best compatibility with games. If games and (old) demos are not so important, 2.06 is a good choice but more expensive.
RAM: As much as you can :) Nowadays there is no reason to not go for 4Mb when you're upgrading.

If demos and floppy-only games (*) aren't important, one could also consider eprom and flashing EmuTOS. Its disk accesses and especially booting is much faster than with normal TOS, and you don't need the extra patch programs. EmuTOS text output is somewhat slower than with real Atari TOS, but that can be fixed with NVDI.

(*) I.e. things that assume that machine has just 1/2MB RAM, where there isn't enough memory unless program overwrites "random" memory ranges owned by TOS (with resulting fireworks when TOS version isn't one they've been tested with). On machines with >1/2MB RAM, everything would be fine if they would just ask TOS for memory, but those programs can't be bothered to check how much RAM machine actually has.

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Miguel » Sun May 27, 2018 10:52 am

Your primary limitation is the lack of RAM. Modern upgrades tend to be switchable for backward compatibility so you should be able to switch between 1MB and 4MB and the same will be true in regard to the operating system which should ideally be switchable between TOS 1.02 and 1.04 which I believe is the latest TOS version for the STFM and yeah there is some music software which will only run with the older TOS version....you can of course load different TOS versions from floppy disk to test things out but as you know your ST has quite a pitiful amount of RAM.

I prefer to retain the floppy in my ST because I still have a lot of gear that uses floppy disks, for example I can DOS format a 720kb floppy on my Yamaha RM1X put a MIDI file on it and then throw the floppy into the Atari ST.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”