SF314 PSU dead - repair or replace?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Thordarson
Atariator
Atariator

SF314 PSU dead - repair or replace?

Postby Thordarson » Sat May 05, 2018 7:14 am

I have a SF314 but the PSU does not give any current (tested with multimeter).

I can't figure out how to open the PSU - and have no idea if there is a fuse or something in there. Would it be a good idea to try to open it or just go for a replacement? Is it possible to buy a replacement somewhere?
Thordarson

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: SF314 PSU dead - repair or replace?

Postby czietz » Sat May 05, 2018 7:42 am

The (SF354) PSU that I have is glued or welded shut, so it can only be opened destructively. I'd rather replace it if it was defective. Depending on which floppy drive there is in the unit, you might even not need the +12V. But if you do, there are a lot of +5V/+12V power supplies available (e.g. Meanwell GP25A series). You'll have to replace the connector, though.

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: SF314 PSU dead - repair or replace?

Postby tzok » Sat May 05, 2018 7:44 pm

I wouldn't throw out the PSU as they are pretty rare now. It is definitely repairable, only challenge is to open the case without much damage. Of course you can use any 5/12 volt DC adapter eg. from 3,5" USB HDD case. I'd also buy a new DIN plug instead of cutting and re-using original one (to preserve the original PSU in one piece).

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”