1040 STe not working, only displays a white screen

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

1040 STe not working, only displays a white screen

Postby Jondi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1040 STe machine and i´m having some troubles with it.
The computer powers on (green light) but nothing more happens, only a white screen appears or sometimes a white screen with some dots.
It runs silent and does not go to the desktop.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or if it could be fixed ?

Thanks,
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: 1040 STe not working, only displays a white screen

Postby czietz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:34 pm

The usual suspects are:
- RAM (try with known good SIMMs or at least swap the existing ones),
- every IC that is socketed (gently pull them out and reinsert),
- power supply (measure voltage rails).

The service manual (on https://www.dev-docs.org/) also has a section on troubleshooting.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Can your monitor display whether the input signal is 60Hz or 50Hz? If 60, and it's a PAL machine, then your TOS chips might be bad.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Jondi, tell us:

-How you have the machine connected to your display. Are you using an RF lead from the modulator out to the TV tuner input on the TV, or are you using a composite or RGB video lead from the 13-pin monitor socket to the input connector (SCART?) on your TV? Or something else?

-Which country are you in, or which TV system is your STe likely to be using (PAL as in Europe, or NTSC as in the Americas)?

-When you turn the machine on, does the floppy drive light come on? If it does, does it go off after a while? (Several tens of seconds, typically).

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jondi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:40 pm

siriushardware wrote:Jondi, tell us:

-How you have the machine connected to your display. Are you using an RF lead from the modulator out to the TV tuner input on the TV, or are you using a composite or RGB video lead from the 13-pin monitor socket to the input connector (SCART?) on your TV? Or something else?

-Which country are you in, or which TV system is your STe likely to be using (PAL as in Europe, or NTSC as in the Americas)?

-When you turn the machine on, does the floppy drive light come on? If it does, does it go off after a while? (Several tens of seconds, typically).

The computer is connected to a TV with an RF lead, i have used this tv before with my older Atari ST without any problems.
I´m located in Iceland and the computer i bought is a Pal machine from the UK, so that should not be an issue.
The the guy who sold me the computer told me he thought the floppy drive needed a bit of cleaning since it did not work all the time, i just replaced the drive with another one i had today which i know is working and the computer still does not work, BUT.
I did get as far as the computer displaying this image, it seems to respond and then just stops.
The yellow floppy light stays on all the time and does not go off after a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jondi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:43 pm

troed wrote:Can your monitor display whether the input signal is 60Hz or 50Hz? If 60, and it's a PAL machine, then your TOS chips might be bad.

I don´t think the monitor can display weather the input signal is 60Hz or 50Hz, i honestly don´t think the case of the machine has ever been opened, so probably original TOS in it.

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jondi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:48 pm

czietz wrote:The usual suspects are:
- RAM (try with known good SIMMs or at least swap the existing ones),
- every IC that is socketed (gently pull them out and reinsert),
- power supply (measure voltage rails).

The service manual (on https://www.dev-docs.org/) also has a section on troubleshooting.

I´m not really good with measuring the power supply, i would have to find someone that knows his stuff with this.
I have another STe so i could change the SIMMS, but i´m not so sure that´s the problem.
Since the computer does respond, allthough not for more 1-2 seconds and then stops, is it likely the problem is the memory chips ?

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jondi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:48 pm

Now i connected the computer again to the TV, it does not turn on the floppy light and displays nothing on tv, no matter how often i turn it off and on again.
It seems this computer might not be rescued after all :(
Ps. Is this normal (see picture below), is there something leaking or what ?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Jondi wrote:I have another STe so i could change the SIMMS, but i´m not so sure that´s the problem.
Since the computer does respond, allthough not for more 1-2 seconds and then stops, is it likely the problem is the memory chips ?

It's worth a try, especially given that you have working SIMMs at hand. Memory errors can cause all sorts of failures.

Jondi wrote:It seems this computer might not be rescued after all :(

Don't give up yet and write off the machine. Most likely it'll be something that is fixable. Maybe you can find someone near to you who has the measurement equipment to search for the fault.

Jondi wrote:Ps. Is this normal (see picture below), is there something leaking or what ?

This is just glue to hold the caps in place.

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jondi » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 pm

czietz wrote:
Jondi wrote:I have another STe so i could change the SIMMS, but i´m not so sure that´s the problem.

It's worth a try, especially given that you have working SIMMs at hand. Memory errors can cause all sorts of failures.

Jondi wrote:It seems this computer might not be rescued after all :(

Don't give up yet and write off the machine. Most likely it'll be something that is fixable. Maybe you can find someone near to you who has the measurement equipment to search for the fault.

Jondi wrote:Ps. Is this normal (see picture below), is there something leaking or what ?

This is just glue to hold the caps in place.

I have tried swapping the SIMMS but no change, in fact the computer is not responding now at all, i only get the green power light but the floppy light doesn´t turn on.
Now i don´t get any signal on the tv, the white screen does not appear any more.
Thanks everyone for your help, i´ll keep this machine in storage until later, maybe someone will show up that can fix it otherwise it will be useful for parts :)

susher
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby susher » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:33 pm

It sounds more and more like a dying power supply unit.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:20 pm

yes, smells like the Caps have to be changed
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Jondi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Jondi » Tue May 01, 2018 1:03 am

Ok, do you guys know where i can buy another power supply and caps ?

DoG
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DoG » Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 am

Jondi wrote:Ok, do you guys know where i can buy another power supply and caps ?

Check Exxos site for that.

peido
Atarian
Atarian

Postby peido » Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 am

Hi,

I bought my first ST a few days ago (it's a 1040 STFM). When I turned my computer on for the first time, I only had a white screen and the computer wouldn't boot (only the power led would turn on and nothing else, none of the other lights would turn on and the drive wouldn't move). I would wait more than 10 minutes, and still the computer wouldn't boot.
It took me several hours to discover that the problem was on the reset button, the reset button was a little bit pressed down and wouldn't let my computer to boot.

I don't know if you have the same problem as I had, but maybe my experience can help somebody else in the future.
Hope you can fix your computer.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”