Atari mouse STM1 with laser.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Atari mouse STM1 with laser.

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Hello guys;
I bought the LAVAGO device that transforms the Atari STM1 mouse mechanism into a laser.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/49nhklf374ef5 ... d.pdf?dl=0

To choose a suitable mouse to the design of the Lavago plate, I have checked 15 Atari mice. This is the information obtained (if someone has a different information, please indicate it):

- Serial number "A": compatible with Lavago.
- Serial number "P": compatible with Lavago.
- Serial number "X": all have the internal composition "not compatible" with Lavago and also the cables are soldered on the board (without connector).

I chose a mouse from the "A" series that had no yellow color: it was brown! from the cable to the housing, everything. One hour of retrobright session in the Andalusian sun transformed the mouse into something that can be contemplated without vomiting.

The shipment has a correct packaging and this is the content:

Laser - 02.jpg

The switches of the mouse buttons are lower than the original ones, therefore you have to supplement the length of the columns of the housing that press on those switches. I prefer a plastic material and I will not use the aluminum bars that are included in the Lavago kit. For this, I use two small plugs of the "Bic" pens.

Laser - 04.jpg

You have to cut them until you get the right height.

Laser - 05.jpg

The plugs enter very tight in the columns of the buttons, is not necessary the glue.

Laser - 06.jpg

The plastic cylinders that come in the Lavago kit are a bit short to hold the plate correctly (at least in the "A" series of the STM1), so I have supplemented the length by adding two plastic washers (used for the friction of hinges). It is also convenient to use a small metal washer for each screw, so the head distributes the pressure better.

Laser - 07.jpg

Now the plate is perfectly fixed to the housing and firmly holds the transparent cover of the laser lens (the glue is not necessary). The original cover of the ball must be assembled in the housing before installing the plate with the lens, it is not necessary to use the covers manufactured with 3D printer.
The cable connector is inserted in the column on the left, the first of the three columns of pins (as seen in the photo).

Laser - 08.jpg

Laser - 09.jpg

Obviousities that I will list (anti-clumsy indications):
- If the plastic cylinders of the Lavago kit are short and you continue to tighten the screws: you will break the thread of the casing.
- If you have the idea of ​​using a bit longer screws: you will go through the mouse.

Finally, I have the Atari mouse with the appearance of the XX century and the comfort of the XXI.
The Cubase editors appreciate the resolution and smoothness of the modernized mouse, and I suppose the cartoonists will appreciate it too.

Laser - 10.jpg

My personal assessment:
Functionality: 100%.
Plug and Play installation: 90%.

"That's all, folks !!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Atari mouse STM1 with laser.

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 pm

wow !!!

Did n't know such existed.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:13 pm

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Very impressive! I hate mice with balls, this is a serious improvement.

Now I wonder how to retrofit a scroll wheel to an Atari mouse without ruining the look. Could use the tiny scroll ball from Apple mighty mouse, might still look strange. A side mounted wheel? Another idea is to put a touch sensor below the mouse keys so you can do two finger drag scrolling. Is the plastic too thick for a touch sensor?

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Foxie wrote:Very impressive! I hate mice with balls, this is a serious improvement.

Now I wonder how to retrofit a scroll wheel to an Atari mouse without ruining the look. Could use the tiny scroll ball from Apple mighty mouse, might still look strange. A side mounted wheel? Another idea is to put a touch sensor below the mouse keys so you can do two finger drag scrolling. Is the plastic too thick for a touch sensor?

Is necessary a good technical knowledge to answer your questions, I can only comment as a user and according to my preferences: I accept a modernization of my Atari machines without altering their external appearance and obviously conserving Atari components (I do not want a PC inside a housing Atari), that's why I enjoy the Lavago device instead of connecting a PC mouse in my CosmosEx or other devices that allow it. The retro look for a retro user is important, in my opinion.
Thanks to all the "gurus" who contribute with their knowledge, creating extensions and reinforcements that give new life to our machines.
Greetings.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”