Two Rys MK2 or two Tom Rev2 problem

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

wolfies97
Atarian
Atarian

Two Rys MK2 or two Tom Rev2 problem

Postby wolfies97 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 am

Hello
I have a problem with my Atari STe
If I plug two Rys MK2 (https://retro.7-bit.pl/?lang=en&go=proj ... e=rys_mkii) or two Tom Rev2(https://www.ebay.de/itm/TOM-Rev2-Best-a ... rmvSB=true) with on port 0 usb mouse and on port 1 usb pad, the button fire of pad don't works
if I unplug the Rys on port 0 (mouse), the fire button of pad works
If I plug a Atari joystick on port 1, he works always
If I plug a Atari mouse or a mouse USB/PS2 with this adapter USB https://www.ebay.ie/itm/atari-st-usb-mo ... 210898b35d , the fire button of pad works

I have problem only with button, the direction works always

I don't understand
Nobody use two adapter USB ?

I am sorry for my bad english

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Two Rys MK2 or two Tom Rev2 problem

Postby czietz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:22 am

You don't have a problem with your STe but probably with poorly designed adapters. On the Atari ST/STe, the right mouse button on the mouse/joystick port 0 and the joystick fire button on port 1 share the same electrical signal. So if the adapter for the mouse actively drives this line high (=right button not-pressed) while the adapter for the joystick drives this line low (=fire button pressed) whoever has the stronger driver wins. E.g. the Atari joystick has a mechanical switch to ground (=strong driver) and wins.

To solve this issue, a proper mouse/joystick (or adapter) needs to have open-collector outputs for the buttons. You have to discuss this with the makers of the adapter; most likely it can be fixed with a FW upgrade.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Two Rys MK2 or two Tom Rev2 problem

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am

On the subject of the Rys Mk II USB adapter -does this really take USB keyboards as the product info page says it will? It's a little confusing because other sites and reviews only mention mice, joysticks and other game controllers while the manufacturer's own products page clearly says "support for both USB HID and USB-PS/2 keyboards"

I would like to add both a USB keyboard and mouse to my STe.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”