ROM port Ethernet adapter

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Xerus

Re: ROM port Ethernet adapter

Postby Xerus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 pm

I preferred to test all the drivers but in the end, there is only one that works, the V9.
But at first I thought none worked!
For this last driver, I had to turn off the machine, a reset was not enough.
Nevertheless, I donit know if it should be validated, I have doubts about its reliability...
The ping work but doing a surf session with Netsurf, one moment the network card/driver no longer worked, forced to make a reset.
I don't know if Netsurf is responsible but from a quick look I didn't have this problem with the V5.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 pm

This is going to be the last one, if it doesn't work I'll commit the source changes are it were in version 5.
BTW do you have an ST with enough memory to run MiNT, I saw in the driver's sources that the ST version could be optimized, it would be only one test.

rtl8012ct60_10.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 am

I have no Hard Disk for my STs so I don't know if I can put all software on one floppy disk.
Maybe I could make a test withe hatari before to dust my ST(e) :mrgreen:

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:27 pm

I think if we use the AES in ROM it can be done with a floppy disk.
You'll need to edit the mint.cnf file and use "GEM=ROM" instead of "GEM=u:/c/mint/1-19-xxx/xaaes/xaloader.prg"
Both entries are there, so it's only a matter of uncomment one and comment the other.
The only issue could be some problems with the keyboard or the mouse (I don't remember), I think that Vincent reported some issues but I don't remember either if they were fixed and what configuartions were affected, maybe only FireBee with EmuTOS.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Sorry for this late response.
I had strange problems, the driver didn't activated at boot all the time.
At first I thought it was the latest version but testing the V5 I also had problems with random operation...
I understood that problem come from the network card, I have bad contacts!
I don't know if it's the cartridge port or flat cable, I'll have to inspect one of these days...
It's generated by deactivating/activating the BUS acceleration, forced to open the Falcon and thus move a little everything.

Well I think we can validate the V10, I tested several hours (surfing, ftp, ping, etc.) and I have no problems.
For the STE I would see next week, I need to do some cleaning to restore it :)

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Xerus wrote:Sorry for this late response.
I had strange problems, the driver didn't activated at boot all the time.
At first I thought it was the latest version but testing the V5 I also had problems with random operation...
I understood that problem come from the network card, I have bad contacts!
I don't know if it's the cartridge port or flat cable, I'll have to inspect one of these days...
It's generated by deactivating/activating the BUS acceleration, forced to open the Falcon and thus move a little everything.

Well I think we can validate the V10, I tested several hours (surfing, ftp, ping, etc.) and I have no problems.

OK! Then I'm going to commit the changes into the MiNT's repository.

Xerus wrote:For the STE I would see next week, I need to do some cleaning to restore it :)

Great! Thanks!

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I have just pushed the fixes for the driver to the FreeMiNT's Github repository:

https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... 6633b07cde
https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... 7f3f1b4f71
Last edited by Galvez on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:07 am

Hi,
I think I'm almost ready for new tests on a STE but it's been a real assault course :x
I first wanted to make a config on floppy disk that works well on my Falcon.
Several problems:
There is not enough space on a 720KB floppy disk, I had to use UPX to compress route.ttp and ifconfig.ttp :)
Then with the option GEM = ROM, I arrive on the desktop but the keyboard seems inoperative, tested with FreeMiNT 1.19 or 1.18.
Therefore, you can not enter an IP address with ping.ttp :oops:
That said even if the keyboard would work, I think it would not be enough because if I ping with my PC there is no answer;
it looks like MiNTNet is inoperative with the GEM in ROM.
So I change my strategy, I run the ping program during the boot (at the end) via an exec in MINT.CNF.
It works, so happy, I tell myself my floppy disk is ready, let's go to STE :D

I take the STE (with my office I had a hard time to connect all), run my floppy disk and it doesn't work...
It freezes after the recognition of the MAC Address.
I try with another version of FreeMiNT (1.18), same thing, same problem.
This is the official driver (1.10) supplied with the FreeMiNT distribution.
I go to the site of the original author to test his old version (1.3) in case and nice, the boot continues.
So I have the impression there is a problem with the latest driver version!
But my adventures are not over, ifconfig and route do not launch.
I go back to debug mode and I see a malloc error, ok it seems I have no enough memory :roll:
I take another floppy disk with Sysinfo, result: 1MB of memory :lol:

I will look for another STE (!), it has 2 MB of memory and again, it's not enough...
I say I'm going to take the 1MB of the other STE, I open the cover and I laugh, he has 4 RAM Modules of 256KB.
I know I have an old bag with lots of RAM modules (from old PC), after 1 hour of excavation I find the bag 8)
I think it's going to be hell to test all, no idea of ​​their capacity, compatibilty, they are all different (number chips, single-sided / double-sided, pcb) and there I turn over one and on the PCB I see the name Atari!
The luck seems to turn in my favor, I insert them in the STE, run Sysinfo and I see that I have 4MB of memory, it was 2 modules of 1MB :)
I restart the STE with my special floppy FreeMiNT, ifconfig and route load well, oh joy.
But when start the ping, bang, nothing happens :(
I'm doing a control-c to stop the process and he tells me no packet has been sent...
It's strange because I ping very well with my PC, the card responds, I see the LED blinking and no lost package.
I wonder if it is the ping.ttp that is a problem or not on ST, I took it from an old version of EasyMiNT installed on my Falcon.
In the official package, is there a tool to do a PING and test the network?

In short I have not resolved everything but I can test from my PC, I don't know if it's ok for you?
In addition I don't know if you have to rely on the driver provided with the distribution to do your tests because it doesn't seem to work correctly at home.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 am

Xerus wrote:GEM=ROM

Your main problem is that with GEM=ROM, the ROM AES (that is not designed for preemptive multitasking) will run solely in supervisor mode and since MiNT doesn't do task switching in supervisor mode, you basically degraded MiNT into a single user OS with the AES and Desktop eating up all the CPU time in their idle loop.

This is where nohog2.acc comes into play. When this accessory (to be found in the mint/sysroot/1-19-xxx/GEM directory of a MiNT snapshot) is loaded, it will give back CPU control to MiNT.

This will at least make your keyboard respond again. It might fix networking problems as well as MiNT "regains power".

Other than that, GEM=ROM is just a quirk - as said, ROM AES is not designed to support preemptive multitasking and you will likely run into other problems later on.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:44 am

mfro wrote:
Xerus wrote:GEM=ROM

Your main problem is that with GEM=ROM, the ROM AES (that is not designed for preemptive multitasking) will run solely in supervisor mode and since MiNT doesn't do task switching in supervisor mode, you basically degraded MiNT into a single user OS with the AES and Desktop eating up all the CPU time in their idle loop.

This is where nohog2.acc comes into play. When this accessory (to be found in the mint/sysroot/1-19-xxx/GEM directory of a MiNT snapshot) is loaded, it will give back CPU control to MiNT.

This will at least make your keyboard respond again. It might fix networking problems as well as MiNT "regains power".

Other than that, GEM=ROM is just a quirk - as said, ROM AES is not designed to support preemptive multitasking and you will likely run into other problems later on.

Thanks Markus! I totally forgot about nohog2.acc

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am

Wow...what a challenge...

Xerus wrote:Hi,
I think I'm almost ready for new tests on a STE but it's been a real assault course :x
I first wanted to make a config on floppy disk that works well on my Falcon.
Several problems:
There is not enough space on a 720KB floppy disk, I had to use UPX to compress route.ttp and ifconfig.ttp :)
Then with the option GEM = ROM, I arrive on the desktop but the keyboard seems inoperative, tested with FreeMiNT 1.19 or 1.18.
Therefore, you can not enter an IP address with ping.ttp :oops:
That said even if the keyboard would work, I think it would not be enough because if I ping with my PC there is no answer;
it looks like MiNTNet is inoperative with the GEM in ROM.
So I change my strategy, I run the ping program during the boot (at the end) via an exec in MINT.CNF.
It works, so happy, I tell myself my floppy disk is ready, let's go to STE :D

You could try the nohog2.acc as Markus has pointed, or I have another alternative if you feel comfortable using a shell.
If you comment the lines INIT and GEM in mint.cnf you'll end in a built-in shell with some basic built-in commands. There you can type "help" to see what commands are available and "xcmd on" to enable some extra commands.
Xerus wrote:I take the STE (with my office I had a hard time to connect all), run my floppy disk and it doesn't work...
It freezes after the recognition of the MAC Address.
I try with another version of FreeMiNT (1.18), same thing, same problem.
This is the official driver (1.10) supplied with the FreeMiNT distribution.
I go to the site of the original author to test his old version (1.3) in case and nice, the boot continues.
So I have the impression there is a problem with the latest driver version!

Did you try the st version of the driver in the snapshot package?
Xerus wrote:I restart the STE with my special floppy FreeMiNT, ifconfig and route load well, oh joy.
But when start the ping, bang, nothing happens :(
I'm doing a control-c to stop the process and he tells me no packet has been sent...
It's strange because I ping very well with my PC, the card responds, I see the LED blinking and no lost package.
I wonder if it is the ping.ttp that is a problem or not on ST, I took it from an old version of EasyMiNT installed on my Falcon.
In the official package, is there a tool to do a PING and test the network?

Vincent has a ping compiled for the 68000 in his web site, just add the extension".ttp" to the binary name, not necessary if you use in internal shell.
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68 ... 15.tar.bz2
Xerus wrote:In short I have not resolved everything but I can test from my PC, I don't know if it's ok for you?
In addition I don't know if you have to rely on the driver provided with the distribution to do your tests because it doesn't seem to work correctly at home.

Just to be sure. Did you use the binaries compiled for the 68000 in MiNT's snapshot package?
https://bintray.com/freemint/freemint/d ... 19-000.zip
I think testing from PC it could be OK if we're not able to run MiNT reliable on the ST.

I've attached a driver version for the ST with the modifications I wanted to test (it removes all delays routines)
rtl8012st.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Galvez wrote:
mfro wrote:Your main problem is that with GEM=ROM, the ROM AES (that is not designed for preemptive multitasking) will run solely in supervisor mode and since MiNT doesn't do task switching in supervisor mode, you basically degraded MiNT into a single user OS with the AES and Desktop eating up all the CPU time in their idle loop.

Thanks Markus! I totally forgot about nohog2.acc

Same here, I had completely forgotten this story, it dates from the time of MultiTOS for me :lol:

With nohog2.acc, the keyboard works again as well as MiNTNet, thank you Markus.
That said the ping.ttp still doesn't want to work.
I still have the solution to ping from the PC.

or I have another alternative if you feel comfortable using a shell.
If you comment the lines INIT and GEM in mint.cnf you'll end in a built-in shell with some basic built-in commands. There you can type "help" to see what commands are available and "xcmd on" to enable some extra commands.

In fact it was a summary what I said, I also tried this solution but it didn't work, "system halted".
Maybe a file was missing but I am limited in place on the floppy disk so I didn't really search for why the built-in shell didn't want to work...

Did you try the st version of the driver in the snapshot package?

Yes, the other version needs a 68020.

Vincent has a ping compiled for the 68000 in his web site, just add the extension".ttp" to the binary name, not necessary if you use in internal shell.
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68 ... 15.tar.bz2

Problem always here with this version.
Really strange this story because the floppy works well on Falcon.

Just to be sure. Did you use the binaries compiled for the 68000 in MiNT's snapshot package?

Yes and also FreeMiNT 1.18.

I've attached a driver version for the ST with the modifications I wanted to test (it removes all delays routines)

Same issue as 1.10 version of package, "freeze" after displayed: interface: en0 (0:0:0:E8:E5:B6:C2)
I tried Control-C but the boot seems stoped.
I am surprised by the difference in size between version 1.3 to 1.10, we go from 9ko to 47ko, change of compiler?

NB: To make sure that network card works well, I also made a TOS + STING configuration on another floppy disk, so the problem is software.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Xerus wrote:I am surprised by the difference in size between version 1.3 to 1.10, we go from 9ko to 47ko, change of compiler?

That's because I don't "strip" the binaries before I post them here, so symbols are kept in them.

Right now I have no idea what the problem can be, I need to think about it.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:22 pm

How many versions have there been between 1.3 and 1.10?
It would be necessary to find what was the last functional version.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:11 am

Xerus wrote:How many versions have there been between 1.3 and 1.10?

From what can I see there was 1.10 imported into the freemint cvs. So hard to say. The author's website mentions its source code already as in "mint cvs" therefore there aren't any even for 1.3 version.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 am

Thank you for investigating.
I'm going to look on an old hard drive if I do not have another version somewhere.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 am

mikro wrote:
Xerus wrote:How many versions have there been between 1.3 and 1.10?

From what can I see there was 1.10 imported into the freemint cvs. So hard to say. The author's website mentions its source code already as in "mint cvs" therefore there aren't any even for 1.3 version.

I think driver's versions (author's web site and MiNT's repo) diverged since v1.10, from the readme.txt in the v1.3 package:
There is a CVS version in the MiNT pages. I believe this version
(1.3) is a bit faster under MiNTNet, especially in reading.

This version seems to be release on June 2001. I see some functional changes from November 2000 in the source code (MiNT's repo) after the initial import, no idea if the original author took those changes for his version 1.3. The only way to know now is to disassemble and compare or contact the author.

Xerus, with version 1.3 after you arrive to the desktop how much memory is left before you're trying to ping?

I've attached one stripped version of the driver, I'm not sure if debug symbols are loaded into memory so I don't know if it will make any difference with previous version.

Also I've attached a debug version (it's stripped too), I'm afraid I'll need a log so I can have some hints where the driver is failing. :?

rtl8012st_strip.zip

rtl8012st_dbg.zip
Last edited by Galvez on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 pm

After launched Sysinfo I have 2.7MB free, so it's not a memory lack.
Here the boot of your debug version: http://falcon060.free.fr/video/driver-rtl8012-STE.3gp

alienkidmj12
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alienkidmj12 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 pm

a magic fs module would be great too, eventually :)

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 am

alienkidmj12 wrote:a magic fs module would be great too, eventually :)

What do you mean by a "fs module"? I've never tested it but I read that MagiCnet can use MiNTnet drivers

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:16 am

Hi Xerus, this is what I've figured out:
Version 1.3 was not compiled with gcc but with Pure C or some compiler alike, and version 1.3 doesn't use the VBL to poll the interface but it uses the BUSY interrupt from the parallel port. The reason MiNT's driver is failing on a 68000 I think it's because the driver tries to do so much inside the VBL handler and the 68000 is not fast enough, the driver doesn't use the VBL queue to install his handler but use the XBRA protocol installing the handler on top of the handler's chain, when a big packet arrives the handler takes all the VBL time for himself and it doesn't leave time for the OS's handler and this mess es up the system, this is why I think the system just hangs (not crashes). The driver's VBL interrupt handler should be split and the packet's process should be done out of it. But before I think we should try to use the BUSY interrupt because is more efficient. I've attached three drivers that use that interrupt, let's see if any of them work.

EDIT: I've seen something wrong in the code for the interrupt so the drivers attached probably won't work, I need to add something, please wait for the new versions (I don't know how to remove the old attachments. Is it possible?!?!).

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:48 am

I have changed my mind :D. I'm complicating things. I've split the VBL handler, this should be the easiest fix.
I've attached a driver for you to try. Thanks!
rtl8012st_split.zip

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi,
thank you for your explanation, it's interresting.

I tested your new version but the problem is still present, sorry.
In case I also tested the other 3 versions and I still have the same problem.

Courage, I'm sure you'll find out how to fix that :wink:

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:53 am

Xerus wrote:Hi,
thank you for your explanation, it's interresting.

I tested your new version but the problem is still present, sorry.
In case I also tested the other 3 versions and I still have the same problem.

Courage, I'm sure you'll find out how to fix that :wink:

The driver seems to load perfectly fine, after loaded the next time the driver is entered before the boot hangs is through the interrupt.
I've attached a version of the driver to confirm that the problem is in the interrupt handler, this handler's version just returns, so at least the boot process should continue and not stop after the " interface: en0 (0:0:0:E8:E5:B6:C2)" message is shown.

Also I've attached another driver with extra debug messages in the interrupt handler (although I don't trust too much in debugging with screen messages in this situations).

And finally there is a version using the parallel port interrupt, but if the other ones didn't work this shouldn't either, but just in case :D
rtl8012st_vbl_int_return.zip

rtl8012st_vbl_extradbg.zip

rtl8012st_busy2.zip

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Sorry, nothing works, always the same problem :oops:

New video debug: http://falcon060.free.fr/video/driver-r ... STEv2d.3gp

The fight goes on :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”