Stacy internal CosmosEX

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Stacy internal CosmosEX

Postby acsi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am

So I fired up my old Stacy4 only to find the internal hard drives failed.

I know these things have the dodgy SCSI controller inside so I was wondering about mounting my CosmosEX (ACSI version) in place the hard drive?
What adapter would I need?

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Stacy internal CosmosEX

Postby Bama » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 am

acsi wrote:So I fired up my old Stacy4 only to find the internal hard drives failed.

I know these things have the dodgy SCSI controller inside so I was wondering about mounting my CosmosEX (ACSI version) in place the hard drive?
What adapter would I need?

To use the ACSI version of the CosmosEx you want to make or purchase an internal ACSI cable.
I purchased an internal ACSI cable from Alanh for this same purpose. I changed course and used a SCSI2SD instead. Much more simple but lacks all the features of the cosmos ex.
:-)
BAMA

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks.

Also whilst I'm doing the swap is it possible to make the internal floppy drive's ID B? - edit : Just noticed the cable has 2 connectors so "yes"

I also note that with the internal acsi adapter the external port will not work. Is there a workaround for this at all?

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 pm

acsi wrote:Thanks.

Also whilst I'm doing the swap is it possible to make the internal floppy drive's ID B? - edit : Just noticed the cable has 2 connectors so "yes"

IIRC, the Stacy's floppy cable does NOT have a "twist", so it should just be a matter of moving the drive's jumper from "Drive 0" to "Drive 1".
I also note that with the internal acsi adapter the external port will not work. Is there a workaround for this at all?

I would ask Alanh or Lothrek about the specifics of their internal ACSI cables. I think that they have a work around. Also, I think that there are some FAQ's around that talk about how to configure the cable your self to maintain external ACSI function. (MegaSTE and STacy share the same internal ACSI connection and SCSI adapter board.)

Finally, ask Darklord to share his opinion. He added an UltraSatan2 to his SuperSTacy 030.
:-)
BAMA

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Bama wrote:
Finally, ask Darklord to share his opinion. He added an UltraSatan2 to his SuperSTacy 030.

I did. It's been rock solid since the installation. I used Alan's internal adapter and cable to put mine
where the old hard drive was. No problems, but I've never had a reason to use any anything external,
ACSI wise, so I don't know what would happen there.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:19 pm

OK So I've got the adapter from Lotharek and it's installed with the floppy change to drive B. I had to replace the internal floppy cable and modify a standard one to match the twist from the original cable but it's working great.

However when I try to run HDDRUTIL.PRG (version 9.x) I get an illegal AES call error so think I need to go with ICDPro or could something else be amiss? Note the CosmosEX is recognized by HDDRIVER.PRG.

Hazzardus
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Hazzardus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Bama wrote:MegaSTE and STacy share the same internal ACSI connection and SCSI adapter board.

Noted. That helps me out too...

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:31 am

OK So I've formatted the drive with ICD with the initial partition on the 2GB SD being 15MB then the rest are 250MB with the last around 191MB.

However Now that it is booting off C drive I cannot get it to mount the USB drive as drive M? Drive O (CE Drivers) works fine.
If I boot with the SD removed then the USB drive works fine.

Any ideas?

EDIT:- Never mind it started working after leaving it powered down for a few minutes :shrug:

pavt
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pavt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 am

Hi!

May I ask you, how did you connected the CosmosEx to Stacy? I am solving similar problem with connection of Ultrasatan from Lotharek, I have his adapter and cable, but the Harddisk board is connected to the mainboard using 30 pins connector, but the ACSI adapter has only 24 pins, I am new in such tasks so if you can let me know I would be glad...
Second - did you removed the battery from the Stacy? I have very bad experience with batteries in old computers, but this type is maybe not so problematic...

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 am

Hi,

After removing the SCSI controller I plugged in the adapter I got from Lotharek and used the ACSI cable ribbon cable to go between this and the CosmosEX.

The adapter should plug directly onto the 30pin header on the mainboard and has a 24pin header which the ACSI lead plugs onto.

Re the battery no I have not yet removed it but it is on my list. The CR button batteries tend to be better and so far I have only seen them leak in an Archimedes 3xxx I got hold of once (what a mess that was).

Hope that helps

pavt
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pavt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:27 am

Hi,

This sounds interesting - I have asked Lotharek to buy simillar adapter and he replied: "Honestly, never seen stacy and never connected
Ask this guy which one he used ? I do not have any 30 —> 20 pin reduction for this purpose... ". So please, which adapter had you used? I have bought one for Mega ST, but this has 24pins->24pins, as I have verified on the motherboard, on Mega ST the internal DMA connection really has 24 pins. I have checked the photos of Mega STE mainboard and there seems to be ACSI driver board with 30 pins connector and looks similar to one in Stacy (only it is rev.3, in Stacy rev.2) - did you used this one (adapter for Mega STE)?

Regarding the battery - I have same experience with Archimedes A3020, where battery damaged the board but I managed to repair. Also my Amiga A4000 has been damaged by battery leakage (but different battery type), so now I am removing batteries from all my computers...

Thanks!

pavt
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pavt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:13 am

Once again Hi,

As I have verified, really it seems that necesary adapter is the one for Mega STE, but as Lotharek writes on his pages and also as is mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=29667 , there is problem, that once you remove the hard disk board and use just the adapter, the external ACSI plug is nonfunctional. Did you checked this? This is for my purpose not the best result for transfering of the data, maybe the SCSI2SD is then better...

And what about display - did you upgraded it? Mine had 0 backlight, I used the method with new luminiscence foil as described here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188656 ... storation/
Result is really not bad. For mine 2nd Stacy I ordered new display and I am interested, whether the result will not be even better...

Thanks!

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am

On the subject of batteries and cells. All PCB mounting NiCad types used for memory backup or for RTC chips should be renewed every FIVE years. This is recommended by the battery manufacturers.

Non-rechargeable Lithium 3V 'coin' cells (used for memory backup) normally have a life of around ten years. But it is rare for these to leak if they are left longer.

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am

Hi

Yep it was the Mega STE one. The Stacy and the Mega STE share the same controller.

And yes the external ACSI port is disabled as it is no longer connected. But with the CosmosEX I no longer really need it. Although it would have been nice to use the supercharger with it. :lol:

Re the backlight yes I replaced the LCD with an Epson one I got off eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XEpson+P300031800+EG.8007B-HS-1.TRS0&_nkw=Epson+P300031800+EG.8007B-HS-1&_sacat=0

Instructions can be found here http://www.falconproductions.us/blog/new-stacy-display.html

pavt
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pavt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Many thanks, this really helped!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”