My 1040 STF works, but doesn't?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Atacarol
Atarian
Atarian

My 1040 STF works, but doesn't?

Postby Atacarol » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 am

Hello Atari Forum,

I've searched for a thread on this forum that might answer my questions, but couldn't really find any so I thought I could ask.
I bought an Atari 1040STF off of eBay recently, and because it didn't come with a monitor I bought This from Retrogamingcables, a site thet generally has a really good reputation for their RGB cables. They didn't have any SCART cables in stock, so I thought these composite cables would work fine on my old CRT TV - and the guy from RGC told me they would.

However, the computer does not really do anything when I turn it on. The only things indicating that it's turned on are the red power light, a very quiet high-pitched noise, and a black screen with faint horizontal stripes going across it. When I insert a disk, absolutely nothing happens, even when I turn the computer off and back on.

The seller told me that he tested the computer with an Atari monitor before shipping it, and he doesn't know why it wouldn't work.

But if the computer works, and I'm not getting a picture or sound because the cables I bought don't work with my ST, or because of my TV/monitors, or because it's set to a resolution that isn't compatible with my TV, wouldn't the disk drive at least do something? Am I missing something really obvious, or did something perhaps break during shipping? :shrug:

Does anyone know what might be the issue?

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: My 1040 STF works, but doesn't?

Postby Bama » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Atacarol,

1) search this forum for similar posts / troubles
2) can you hear your 1040 access the floppy drive at boot?

I will defer to the savvy tech’s on here for a better solution. That being said, I like to try simply things like ensuring that all of the chips in sockets did not get loose during shipping. (Especially the TOS chips)
- unplug the power and monitor
- remove the top cover
- use light to medium pressure to reseat all sockets do chips
- retest
- repeat if needed
:-)
BAMA

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 pm

gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gilles504 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm

some 520 and 1040STF (at least models for France) do not output PAL or NTSC but only a composite synchro + separate RGB. So maybe this cable does not fit your atari. Anyway the sound should work and you should hear key repeat if you keep a key pressed. (models that should work with this cable have the RF modulator and the "Antenna" output).

Try to find someone near you with a SCART cable or better, an atari monitor.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm

your STF does not have the M - meaning it doesn't have the TV output so doesn't have composite available from the monitor port, which is why the cable you bought doesn't work.

Atacarol
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atacarol » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I tried it a Bunch of times, there are no sounds when pressing the space bar (or any key for that matter), and the Disk drive doesn't seem to Do anything, whether there is a Disk inserted or not.

I'll just check the Chips then and hope that'll solve the Problem.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 pm

There is a strong probability that the ST power supply is almost dead as this think doesn’t age well. An old power supply, especially when not used for a long time could work once and then die suddenly after. When you open your ST, check the capacitors if they are not leaking and check the voltage at the output of the power supply. It should give you a clue.
Exxos sells a kit to replace the old capacitors.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 pm

As mentioned above. A composite cable will not work on an ST without the modulator. As you have an STF (no 'M'), that cable will do nothing for you. That's not to say this is your only problem, of course! But you can't move forward at all until you have an RGB cable.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Atacarol
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atacarol » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 am

Okay, so I took a look inside the machine, and to my surprise it seems as if the previous owner made some modifications to his ST. There's a hole cut out of the piece of metal between the keyboard and the motherboard, and in its place there's a small circuit board with a battery and a TOS chip attached to it, and it's connected to one of the sockets where the sixth TOS chip should normally be. There are also two cables which go from the curcuit board to two different APIAs (marked with arrows on the pictures). I'm guessing that's a timekeeper battery, right?

Here's some pictures:

There's nothing leaking from the capacitors, and the power supply on the whole looks pretty normal. All of the chips that aren't solded to the main board are in their sockets as they should be. Unfortunately, after putting it back together it still won't work, maybe it's because of the custom stuff, maybe something completely unrelated to that. :?

First step is of course getting the RGB cables - since I don't really have the eqipment to DIY one at home right now, I'd probably get one of these from eBay Do you think they're any good?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 am

It’s from Germany - it will work well.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Sturm
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 am

Deutsche Qualität :mrgreen:

Atacarol
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atacarol » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Well nevermind, by some miracle it works, after I disassembled it and put it back together a second time!

Can't wait for the SCART cable now...

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”