Pulling printer port lines low

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Pulling printer port lines low

Postby Foxie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 pm

The datasheet for the Yamaha sound chip is extremely sketchy. I assume since it says it's NMOS it should be safe to pull the lines low externally when set to outputs? It looks like it can't source any real current - but that's no guarantee that it won't get damaged when grounded. If it's really NMOS I can't see how it could get damaged. But the MFP has totem-pole outputs so who's to say the Yamaha chip doesn't? I know it's possible to set the pins as inputs. I'm wondering about what happens if you don't.

I know there are joystick to printer port adaptors, which surely wouldn't be safe if shorting the outputs wasn't allowed.

I know many other systems use open collector outputs on their printer ports. The Amiga for example, and earlier IBMs. Then, later IBM clones started using totem pole outputs for EPP/ECP stuff which made it dangerous to pull the lines low.

It also looks like the maximum sink current is 1.6mA, so I'd need to use 3.3k pull-ups at minimum. I've heard of some printers overheating the sound chip - probably because they used lower value pull-ups?

I wonder if the Firebee has the same electrical specs for its printer port?

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 16.47.09.png

Update: it looks like it should be safe to pull the lines low. The SMP24 driver for Cubase does a write cycle, sets the port as an input and then does a read. It finally acknowledges the read by pulsing strobe. So there is a moment in time where the SMP24 is driving PORTB with it set to outputs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Pulling printer port lines low

Postby krupkaj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 pm

What I remember when using old PARCP, Petr recommended to set the parallel port to input. There is PAR_IN.prg in the PARCP package.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”