Dead St?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

rookesta
Atarian
Atarian

Dead St?

Postby rookesta » Sun May 30, 2004 3:05 pm

Hi

I'm new to this postroom, i just wondered if ne1 could provide me with a solution. I have an old atari st which i was formatting a disk on yesterday. All of a sudden, when i looked up at the tv, it was fuzz. The atari had turned it self off, and no matter what i did could get it back. No lights, nothing.
There is still power getting to the switch cos when you hold the switch half way between on and off, you can hear it click. Is it really dead or is there something i can do to fix it (without buying another on ebay?)
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
Many thanks

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Sun May 30, 2004 7:02 pm

Which ST do you have? It's important, because the 520ST has an external poer supply and the 1040ST an internal.
In both cases, try to find out, if the board gets power to locate the error. If you can't see any light, the click of the switch doesn't mean anything.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Mon May 31, 2004 6:18 am

Maybe it's the power supply? I think I remember them going bust every now and then -I know I had to replace mine in my old 1040STFM back then. I don't think there's much you can do to fix that (although I'm no Simbo here), but use a PC PSU? (:

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

simbo

Postby simbo » Mon May 31, 2004 9:21 am

ye gryzor & keili are both right
its the psu that is faulty

what usualy happens is that you have "dry joints" in the psu connections on the solder side of its board

carefully take your st appart
and follow the faq on psu restore
youll prob only need a solder iron and a steady hand
in the psu it is quite chunky joints so a 25watt iron is ok

following the method's there will make it work well again

these faq's are in a sticky at the top on this hardware section

its very simple to solder all these up there is instructions on what to change if needed in the faq
but the majority of faults are just bad connections thru use and the harshness of time

rookesta
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rookesta » Mon May 31, 2004 3:23 pm

Thanks for all your replys. I have an STFM520. You can hear a buzzing sound (i guess meaning power) is getting through when i hold the switch half way between on and off. Youre right tho, there are no lights at all, it's just dead.

I'll give the psu fix a go and see what i can do, not too good with a soldering iron myself so could be interesting!!
many thanks for your assistance

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”