Dual CF adapter on Falcon does not "see" slave cf

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Dual CF adapter on Falcon does not "see" slave cf

Postby dimfil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:15 am

Hello friends.

I had ordered and finally arrived a dual cf adapter like this one :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-44-pin-44p ... 2665555856

Reports from other users claim that it can be used on the Falcon.

My problem is that I can use only the cf that it is in the master slot as defined by the jumper. The card in the slave slot does not appear in hddrutil like it is not there at all. I use hddriver 10.10.

Do I miss something here regarding Falcon? Is there something that I forget or should I just believe that this adapter is not fully compatible and I can use only one slot of it?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Dual CF adapter on Falcon does not "see" slave cf

Postby joska » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 am

Have you enabled both IDE devices in HD-Driver's device setup? Does both cards work in the IDE Master slot?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 am

In devices setup all 0.x IDs are checked.
Master cf slot appears as 0.0 and nothing else appears in devices window.

Each card works OK by its own when used in master slot...

I tried also with hdx from the Language Disk and also there only id 0.0 is recognised...

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 am

IDE ID0 is MASTER
IDE ID1 is Slave
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am

Just can't make it work...
I tried a lot, hddriver and AHDI cannot find it and therefore cannot do anything with the slave slot. Master slot is OK and gives good speeds, around 2.5 MB/s.
At the moment I keep it like it is. It's just that I wanted to use a spare cf that I had and maybe use a cf-sd adapter to transfer files.

Maybe I should just get used to the idea that this adapter could be somehow incompatible with my Falcon.
I will try more if another idea comes to help.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:15 pm

In HD-Driver bus 2 is IDE. So 2.0 and 2.1 must be activated. Unless something has changed since HD-Driver 8.x.

However, I suspect the real problem is that Falcons and CF-cards just don't mix well. I guess you can find two cards that will work together, but apparently the two you have does not. Falcon IDE doesn't handle multiple devices well at all. Real devices seems to work fine, but I've had nothing but trouble with CF-cards and also some IDE->SD and IDE->SATA adapters.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 pm

I have a similar adapter, perhaps exactly the same. As in the picture in your eBay link, do make sure that the CF cards are inserted the opposite way to each other (i.e. both should not be face up, one should be face up, the other (slave if I recall) face down). I stupidly did this initially, and wondered why HDDriver could not see my slave card. Sure enough I had to order another IDE:CF card adapter because I bent the pins. Pretty stupid thing to do on my part, but then again, it wasn't immediately obvious. However, my adapter works and it looks exactly the same, using SanDisk Ultra cards.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Thank you both above friends for your answers.

Yes, I'm sure the cards are inserted correctly.

As far as hddriver is concerned, I can't remember right now what was selected. I think 2.1 was not, then I selected it and rescanned devices and still did not show up.
Not definitely sure though, I was in a hurry at the moment. I will check again when I return home and I will report back...

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Finally it worked! I cannot say exactly what was the "key point" but now it works...

First I removed the driver. Then did a restart (I know it was not essential but just in case)...
Booted from floppy and used Auto configuring in hddrutil to let the utility find the devices. Of course 2.0 and 2.1 where found. Then installed the driver and again a reboot, this time from hdd.
Still the slave was not appearing but then again did an Autoconfigure, installed the driver again in partition C and finally rebooted.

Then everything worked!

I hope I remembered the steps correctly.... But i believe it was all I described above...

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Glad you got it to work. I have the same dual CF adapter in two Falcons. I'm using HDDriver as well. Cannot remember having any problems getting HDDriver to find the slave, but I know I once had some troubles with HDDriver and a SCSI device. I had to boot from the original floppy disk in order for it to detect the device. It didn't matter what I did with the installed driver, it refused to find the SCSI device. Sounds like something similar to what you experienced.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”