cosmos question

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Bikerbob
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

cosmos question

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello,

I have worked through a bunch of hardware items, now I have a hardware/driver question?

I have MegaSTE - with microcosmos - the microcosmos is booting from the SD card using PP driver.

I also use usb drives from the PC - where I download a lot of the programs I want to put on the Atari - and I want to transfer them.

Lets say I have something that has at least 2 layers of files, aka at least 1 subdirectory.

When I copy from the USB to the SD card ( SO this is all on the microcosmos) it will copy the main dir, 1 file in it, and a subdirectory.. then end.. not error, just end the operation, like it was completed successfully?

So, could this be a driver issue? is this a USB drive issue with the cosmos? (so on Jookies end) Should I change the HDD driver?

I could take the same SD card and just put an ICD boot on it? or an HDD boot on it? I have made new drives, but not tried to change the driver.

I dont get corruption or anything.. and I have to just go into the folders and copy them over after.. but if I copy the root it should copy over all subdirectory and contents.. this does work if I copy to say a floppy drive.

Ideas?

If you feel I should have posted this in the COSMOS area I am sorry, I am thinking this is more a driver question??

James

Bikerbob

Re: cosmos question

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Was reading in another thread.

Re: CosmosEX v2 SCSI MegaSTE HELP!

Postby joska » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:05 am

I think ppera likes to write heavily optimized software, as his driver is both small in size and very fast. Maybe his driver is too optimized for CosmosEx' SCSI implementation?
Jo Even

Re: CosmosEX v2 SCSI MegaSTE HELP!

Postby Estrayk » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm
Petari told me that I test it with another SD. Seems Kingston suxx. All works perfeclty with Sandisk.

-----------------------------------------------

Now I have generic small 2gb SD cards.. I am not worried about class or speed, but maybe this is the issue? maybe the driver does not like to work with my cards?

SO.. lets assume thats the case.. To change a driver on a SD card.. is it just a matter of me loading the appropriate boot utility and copying over the PP loader? or do I need to make a new drive.. and copy over the files etc..

James

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm

There is lot of fake cards on 'market' .
Other thing may be that 2GB cards are not HC, just bare SD cards, and that is not so reliable with CE. But all it affects not driver or versus.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm

AtariZoll wrote:There is lot of fake cards on 'market' .
Other thing may be that 2GB cards are not HC, just bare SD cards, and that is not so reliable with CE. But all it affects not driver or versus.

So Im sorry, not quite getting what your saying. - You mean most likely its the cards itself, not the driver? that I would have the same issues no matter what driver because its a card<>cosmos thing? not a driver<>cosmos thing?

James

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Driver sees not what type of card is inserted. Because it affects nothing in way how driver works. And as said, driver does not the transfers - but CE-DMA handshaking, on HW level.
I suggest to you that buy min 4GB Kingston in some decent shop, and then say that Kingston works not well with CE and mine driver. (I mean after test) .
That's really not much money now.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Ok will give it a shot, I have a 16gb class 10 Kingston - that I use for a MFD on my boat, but not in use at the moment, I could try that. It was considered minimum use for that as its map and chart storage. But I will also pickup a good 4gb. SO your point about the HC is Jookie said it NEEDS HC and that older non HC are not compatible? I missed that then.

James

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Ok, I did buy a 16gb Ultra Sandisk microsd card.. and so far, with any driver, I am not having any issues with transfers.

So, I will now try the same things with the other cards, using different drivers, I have ICD and HDD demo so see if they work on the other cards. that will make my descision for me.

But seems like Sandisk is the brand, I would not have thought for older retro stuff that would have made a difference, but it sure does. (My 8-bit stuff I use all Sandisk cf cards)

James

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”