FlashFloppy vs HxC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

FlashFloppy vs HxC

Postby catmando » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Interested to know if anyone is using both of these on a gotek drive, and a comparison of their experiences so far.

Cheers
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: FlashFloppy vs HxC

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:41 pm

I am using the FF and not having any issues - after I figured out how to wire up my cable proper for external use. I am going to also be installing an A<>B switch so that I can use the FF Gotek to boot and then as B drive.

There were no hardware mods required on the gotek like some of the forums would tell you - the FF firmware has taken care of media detect and HD selection. FF also can use the HxC utilities and loaders if you wish. For hobby on the Atari I see no reason why FF cant do the job. HxC is only 10euro so thats reasonable as well for as much work as has been put into it.

James

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:20 pm

FF firmware doesn't support PASTI/STX nor 11 Sector disk images. I have contacted its author and forwarded any info (mainly DrCoolZic's PDF) I had about these two problem, so it should be corrected. As I looked at the code the main problem was with sector gaps.

I also have Gotek/FF as an external disk drive in my Atari STE, with my non-invasive (no track-cutting, no pin-bending) A:/B: swap switch.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 pm

tzok wrote:FF firmware doesn't support PASTI/STX nor 11 Sector disk images. I have contacted its author and forwarded any info (mainly DrCoolZic's PDF) I had about these two problem, so it should be corrected. As I looked at the code the main problem was with sector gaps.

I also have Gotek/FF as an external disk drive in my Atari STE, with my non-invasive (no track-cutting, no pin-bending) A:/B: swap switch.

What has happened to DrCoolZic? He doesn't seem to have been active in AF for quite some time.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 am

tzok wrote:FF firmware doesn't support PASTI/STX nor 11 Sector disk images. I have contacted its author and forwarded any info (mainly DrCoolZic's PDF) I had about these two problem, so it should be corrected. As I looked at the code the main problem was with sector gaps.

Since this is a "VS" thread the HxC Firmware support 11 sectors per tracks images if you want to compare...
STX are supported with the HxC software and the HxC Floppy Emulator HFE(v3) file formats.
You should go for the original firmware ! :wink: :lol:

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am

I'd get a long time ago HxC if I could only pay via PalPal or PayU, without filling this form in French. 12€ is quite reasonable price (it'd be a nice dinner in a restaurant for one person in my country). I'd also like to know if I can flash Gotek with HxC, then go back to FlashFloppy or any other firmware, and then use again my HxC license on the sane Gotek unit (or will I have to buy a new license)?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:

Since this is a "VS" thread the HxC Firmware support 11 sectors per tracks images if you want to compare...
STX are supported with the HxC software and the HxC Floppy Emulator HFE(v3) file formats.
You should go for the original firmware ! :wink: :lol:

11 tracks..is this a generic limitation to .hfe files aswell? Or limited to direct .st images in case of the FlashFlopy firmware?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:11 tracks..is this a generic limitation to .hfe files aswell? Or limited to direct .st images in case of the FlashFlopy firmware?

First of all: 11 sectors per track. Note that Jeff did not write that 11 sectors was the limit. See my 18 sectors per track DD(sic!) HFE image on: https://www.chzsoft.de/site/hardware/us ... -atari-st/

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah, "sectors per track", my typing finger shortened the words compared to what was in my mind ;)

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 pm

FF has apparently wrong sector gaps for 11 sectors/track ST images.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm

If HFE is fine, it is not much of a problem.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:If HFE is fine, it is not much of a problem.

HFE works fine for the HxC firmware. I don't know if FF can handle HFE files with 11 spt, though.

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:35 pm

czietz wrote:

HFE works fine for the HxC firmware. I don't know if FF can handle HFE files with 11 spt, though.

I just created an 11 sector (902kb) HFE disk image using the HxC Emulator software and my FlashFloppy Gotek works fine with this disk image. I copied a folder onto the disk and it saved it fine. I ran SYSINFO.PRG and TeraDesk from the floppy image and both ran fine.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 am

tzok wrote:I'd get a long time ago HxC if I could only pay via PalPal or PayU, without filling this form in French. 12€ is quite reasonable price (it'd be a nice dinner in a restaurant for one person in my country). I'd also like to know if I can flash Gotek with HxC, then go back to FlashFloppy or any other firmware, and then use again my HxC license on the sane Gotek unit (or will I have to buy a new license)?

Back in 2015 & 2016 the payment was done exclusively via paypal without any form, just a simple email request (and the price was 10€ ;) ). And the current form let you to choose the paypal payment method.

Once you have the HxC bootloader, you can of course use the HxC UPD firmwares files or the Cortex or Flashfloppy UPD firmware files available into the HxC firmwares archive (folder "other"). All is done with a simple usb stick.
Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 am

czietz wrote:
simonsunnyboy wrote:11 tracks..is this a generic limitation to .hfe files aswell? Or limited to direct .st images in case of the FlashFlopy firmware?

First of all: 11 sectors per track. Note that Jeff did not write that 11 sectors was the limit. See my 18 sectors per track DD(sic!) HFE image on: https://www.chzsoft.de/site/hardware/us ... -atari-st/

Yes. an alien format with 27 sectors per track is available into the HxC software. :lol:

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 am

kodak80 wrote:
czietz wrote:

I just created an 11 sector (902kb) HFE disk image using the HxC Emulator software and my FlashFloppy Gotek works fine with this disk image. I copied a folder onto the disk and it saved it fine. I ran SYSINFO.PRG and TeraDesk from the floppy image and both ran fine.

Yes, all of this only works thanks to the HxC Floppy Emulator HFE file format. The firmware is just pushing the data without even "understanding them"...

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm

I've just spent 12€ on HxC and I must say I'm disappointed. My OLED display isn't working, and after connecting 2x16 display I can chose only .HFE disk images, while I have most images in .ST format. Autoboot crashes with 2 bombs on 1040STE with 4MB RAM and TOS 1.06. On TOS 2.06 it doesn't start at all (funny that it was working on FlashFloppy). Write speed is much slower than on real FDD. I can flash some old FlashFloppy from HxC distribution file, but not the official FlashFloppy build. To do so I have to flash FlashFloppy bootloader and ultimately loose my 12€.

So for now, on Gotek unit, there is no comparison - FlashFloppy is MUCH better.
Last edited by tzok on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Check you have the latest version:

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

The latest firmware is located in the Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools folder.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 pm

I had v3.1.1.2a, tried also the stable version v3.0.8.2a.

Now my license is lost... maybe I'll go back to this after some time, but I have to buy another Gotek unit, as paying 12€ for license just to see if it works is too much for me.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Tried 5s and 2s OLED delay... no luck. I have to mention that display worked one after upgrading/downgrading the firmware - ie. when I turned on Gotek with both buttons pressed, the OLED display was working after unit rebooted. But if I turned it off and again on - it was blank. Put another UPD on USB, update it - OLED is on again, but only to next power cycle. With FlashFloppy it works without problems, so any pull-ups or wrong wiring is not an option. As I said - for now I've got back to FlashFloppy, so I've lost my HxC STM32 license :(

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 pm

My Gotek with HxC firmware works fine in my STE with TOS 1.62. Found that TOS 2.06 caused most game images to not load so switched back to TOS 1.62.

I also cannot load .ST disk images with the HxC firmware. I can only load .HFE floppy images.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 pm

tzok wrote:I've just spent 12€ on HxC and I must say I'm disappointed. My OLED display isn't working, and after connecting 2x16 display I can chose only .HFE disk images, while I have most images in .ST format. Autoboot crasher with 2 bombs on 1040STE with 4MB RAM and TOS 1.06. On TOS 2.06 it doesn't start at all (funny that it was working on FlashFloppy). Write speed is much slower than on real FDD. I can flash some old FlashFloppy from HxC distribution file, but not the official FlashFloppy build. To do so I have to flash FlashFloppy bootloader and ultimately loose my 12€.

So for now, on Gotek unit, there is no comparison - FlashFloppy is MUCH better.

Yes MUCHHH better ! :lol:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/32 (No no, flashfloppy doesn't corrupt adf ! :D )

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/26 (Reliable HD operations !)
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/35

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/44 (oooohhh very fast read/write performance, unbelievable ! 7 minutes ! unbeatable ! )

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/40 (High ST compatibility !)

But how many time are you fighting with it ? weeks ? months ?
I found interesting that you didn't even try to contact me before deleting the hxc firmware in less than some hours. :roll:

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:29 pm

I've got an Atari ST, not Amiga, so I don't care about ADF support. ST image support now works well in FF and 99% of my disk images is ST. FF is free, so I may be a beta-tester and I'm willing to help to improve it. Your firmware is paid, so I was expecting it will be a complete and working product. I may do some beta tests for you, but I have to wait until my another Gotek will arrive from China. I'm not willing to pay 12€ each time I want to check if it is usable for me or not. Because, at current state, your firmware was not usable for me at all, I've decide to remove it. I've got angry, that you're selling a product that is not finished. Sorry to say but I feel disappointed.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:47 pm

I have answered your email 1 hour after having received it but since it appears you haven't received my email here was my answer :

On 01/26/2018 11:42 PM, Jean-François DEL NERO (HxC2001) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the diymore.cc oled this is an known issue with these screens :
>
> -> As workaround you can set the internal oled power up delay into the firmware embedded menu.
>
> OR
>
> -> Really fix the screen - i recommend this solution.
>
> Here is the fix :
> http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 196#p17196
>
> These screens have a very bad RC reset circuit which make them very unreliable at power-up (>3 seconds delay !)...
>
> For the ST files, i have just checked, and yes you are right, the ST files was hidden by a silly mistake in the last version in normal mode (a missing space in the code!).
> But they still usable in autoboot mode. Thanks for reporting this, i will fix this asap !
>
> Thanks again for the feedback !
>
> Best Regards,
> Jean-François DEL NERO
Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”