Where to find replacement cartridge connectors?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Where to find replacement cartridge connectors?

Postby joska » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm

I have an STE with missing ROM-port, and a Falcon with a damaged one. Where can I find replacements/substitutes at reasonable prices?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Where to find replacement cartridge connectors?

Postby mpattonm » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 pm

I would try to contact https://www.in2connect.uk.com Otherwise no bigger distributor (rs-components, mouser, digikey, tme) has them.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks, I will try that.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Arne
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Arne » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am

joska wrote:Thanks, I will try that.

You've been able to source these?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 am

I'm afraid not :(
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Happy new year Joska, and everybody else!
I bought several of those a while back and I'm pretty sure I ordered them from Best Electronics.
I'm also pretty sure I had posted about it earlier in this forum, but the search function doesn't come up with anything so it might have been somewhere else.

I'm almost certain it was from Best electronics, or it could be that other North American Atari dealer (B & C computervision? It's name slipped my mind).
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Who knows what Best is selling, their website is totally incomprehensible :) I will send a mail, thanks for the tip.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm

I agree :wink: It's best to contact them by email and ask. I've never been able to find anything from the website.

I knew I had the details somewhere so I searched through all my email and finally found it!
It turns out I actually bought them from B & C computervision, back in January 2014. They cost US$ 4 each plus postage at US$ 15 (I ordered 5 connectors) for a total of US$ 35. They were the ones with right-angles (the connection pins for soldering to the PCB) -I needed ones with straight pins, but it's just a matter of bending them with pliers before soldering to the PCB).

If I'm not completely mistaken I confused having bought them from Best electronics as they also had them, but at a far higher cost, but don't quote me on that . In any case that's the info I have and hopefully they'll still have some of those connectors left. As far as I remember they're custom made for Atari and not a standard connector you can buy from just anywhere (the same thing goes for the PLCC socket for the STe/Mega STe CPU by the way, which I also had to order from them (or was it Best electronics?) just in case someone reading is looking for them.

Please tell us how it goes.

UPDATE: yup, found it on their pricelist (hopefully up to date) where it says:
PRS017 PCB ST 40PIN CARTRIDGE 4.00
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Fujiyama wrote:UPDATE: yup, found it on their pricelist (hopefully up to date) where it says:
PRS017 PCB ST 40PIN CARTRIDGE 4.00

Thanks, I've sent them a mail. Hopefully they have atleast two in stock...
Jo Even

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Please keep us posted. :)

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Did you get hold of the connectors Jo Even, and how much did they cost?

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 pm

I did not get a reply from Best. Got a reply from B&C (iirc) but the price was ridiculous.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Sorry to hear that.
I would try to contact Best electronics again. Maybe he/they forgot to reply or something.

Are you a good person?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”