Falcon CF Card Partitions Gem & PC /w HDDriverr

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Falcon CF Card Partitions Gem & PC /w HDDriverr

Postby KLund1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:55 am

Well, I got my Falcon to work!
Now I need some help with partitioning using HDDriver 9.x
I have a 4GB CF card. I got HDDriver to get a C: installed. But I would like to get additional partitions that are windows compatible. The CF card is removable (with the case closed up!), so it would very easy to move files from PC to Falcon. But I do not know how to use HDDriver for particular partitions. Or adding new partitions once others are made. The c: is empty except for HDDriver.sys
Any suggestions or links?
Thanks everyone!!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Falcon CF Card Partitions Gem & PC /w HDDriverr

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:33 am

Since there is nothing on your C, you don't need to care about it. It is not possible that you have C as GEMDOS (TOS) type, and others to be Windows (better is to say DOS) compatible. Whole card must be one type: TOS or DOS or TOS/DOS compatible. Since you want to access it on Windows you need TOS/DOS compatibility - it may be named different in Hddiver, like GEMDOS-WIndows type. And because it is CF, so IDE port, you need byte swap - on PC byte order is reversed. So, just create all new partitions. And there will be one problem - it will not autoboot, because Hddriver can not autoboot when there is byte swap. So, will need floppy for it, or in better case autoboot from other, TOS (GEMDOS) type CF card - if you can attach 2 cards at once.

Now, there is other driver, what can autoboot from swapped CF card. But no advertising here. Your post gave me actually idea for what is worth to do in further improving of partitioning and driver SW for Ataris.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Glad I was able to give you a new idea. Good luck. But until then I use your, and another person that posted elsewhere, idea to add a second CF card. One will be permanent, the other swappable!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am

On my Falcon, I have 3-way ide cable with one end a 44pin-CF adapter and then a CF-SD adapter. I format SD to Fat32 and do all files transfer in Mint.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 am

wongck wrote:On my Falcon, I have 3-way ide cable with one end a 44pin-CF adapter and then a CF-SD adapter. I format SD to Fat32 and do all files transfer in Mint.

That would be Master+Slave on IDE. I guess that autoboot is with card which is TOS (GEMDOS) type .
Bad side of whole thing is lower speed in DOS/Windows compatibility mode (needed byte swap with FAT32). Unless I miss here something. So please little more details if possible: I guess you not using Windows, but Linux. And some Ubuntu versions support TOS (AHDI, GEMDOS) partitioning.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 am

It is indeed a Master-slave setup. Nothing magical here.
The autoboot is always from my TOS format C drive, to boot up Mint.
The card that moves from Atari to PC and back is the SD card. I am using a CF adapter for SD card.
I am not sure who is doing byte swapping, but I think it must be HDDriver as Windoze knows nothing about Atari.
I may have format the SD when it was in Windoze XP, as I have been using this configuration for many years now.
It is in FAT32, so long filename etc are on this "swap" drive. it helps to organised my stuff.
Today i am using Windoze 10, and i can still use this SD to copy stuff between the 2 computers.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

The reason i say my HDD configuration on my Falcon is because of this sentence.
KLund1 wrote: idea to add a second CF card. One will be permanent, the other swappable!

if you add a 2nd CF card.... use it as the one for file transfer between PC and Atari. if you set format to FAT32, it seems that you do not need to make a format to TOS/DOS compatible. It looks like HDDriver will auto swap the bytes for you.... sure it is slower than without byte swapping, but you only use it when transferring stuff, not normal use like booting, running program.
Booting and running program from it can be on your C: drive not your swap drive.

Actually I have a HDD on the other end of the 44pin cable, and have 3 partition - one which is FAT32 where my stuff are and they are mostly with LFN. So having a swap drive with LFN is needed for me most of the time.

Just my 2 cents.
On how I transfer my stuff with needing a TOS/DOS compatible partition.
Downside is that you cannot access in a pure TOS desktop environment.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanx Wongck.
And, as usual, I feel that need to correct something: :D
"On how I transfer my stuff with needing a TOS/DOS compatible partition.
Downside is that you cannot access in a pure TOS desktop environment."
TOS/DOS compatible may be only FAT16 - since TOS can only it (+ FAT12, but that's for floppies) .
FAT32 is handled by better hard disk drivers, so Hddriver too. They do simpler part: mounting such partition and accessing it on low level + byte swap. The harder part is done by Mint (but can with MagiC too) .
What we call here TOS/DOS compatible, (and I'm one of people who designed such partitioning + SW for) is FAT16 with special parameters, so same partition can be accessed under popular new OS-es as Windows, Linux - it is seen as DOS type. TOS sees it as AHDI (TOS, GEMDOS) type - where logical sector size is different than in DOS type.
So, it is done specially for pure TOS (desktop) environment. To add that there is LFN possible in FAT16 too - of course, there was no FAT32 in 1995, when Windows 95 was launched. However, because LFN can make problem in TOS, it is blatantly filtered out with my drivers :lol:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:41 pm

I should have better said
"Downside is that I cannot access in a pure TOS desktop environment as my transfer format is FAT32.""

I am sure your newly designed driver will be able to do much more now.
Again like in other thread, I do not dispute your superior knowledge in Atari hardware and software else we continuously see the cool stuff you contributed.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”