Plastic Dyes for turning an ST keyboard into a Falcon?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Plastic Dyes for turning an ST keyboard into a Falcon?

Postby leech » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:20 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to get my Falcon's keyboard to be a US one (or at least a UK one that doesn't have a weirdly slanted Y) and then was looking into paint, but of course that'd cover up the lettering. Then I found this;

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rit-Dye-Keyboard-Mod/

Anyone try something similar with an ST's keys? I'm not sure what the exact grey is on the Falcon's keyboard, but it'd be awesome to be able to create new keyboards for them, since STs seem to be everywhere, but the Falcons are a far more rare beast.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Kubik
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Plastic Dyes for turning an ST keyboard into a Falcon?

Postby Kubik » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:38 am

I recall Alison tried that with her ST mouse and ended up with a pile of plastic, as the Atari plastic was much more sensitive to heat and the mouse melted down. I'd try it with just a few keys you don't care about...
EDIT: just found it: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14047&p=119817&hilit=alison+dye#p119817

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 am

Crap! Well so much for that idea. Still might end up just hero b a 3d printer. I did just order the last wizztronics rack case from Best, so am not sure if I will just switch to my Mega STe keyboard or stick with the Falcon one.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 am

Don't do it :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoplastic

Btw if everybody continues treating ST's as disposable items, ST's will soon not be "everywhere". In fact, ST's in good, clean, original condition can now be a bit hard to find. So take good care of them, even though they're not Falcons.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Ha, for sure. I think it was Exxos that had suggested I not bother fixing the old 1040STf that I have, because it is cheap enough to get a new one. I ended up finding an STe and getting his excellent TOS switcher installed for compatibility.

Oddly the only ST family I am missing is from the original ST line (no Mega ST or 520/1040) the keyboard I have in that ST will probably eventually be moved to the Falcon once I de-yellow it or figure out how to get Falcon colored keys.

Kubik

Postby Kubik » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Then there was Robson and his awesome color mod - I recall he just spray painted the keycaps and then used some sort of foil for letters:
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com/index.php?p=1_7
I have asked him for details, and I hope he doesn't mind if I just quote his words: "I bought white matte A4 self adhesive sheets and printed the keyboard layout on it with black background using a photo printer. Of course the graphics is something I had to make previously. Then I cut the individual keys out and put them on the keys."
I'm not sure how durable that would be, but you can replace the stickers again and again :)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”