pcb schematics for eiffel 3

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alienkidmj12
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

pcb schematics for eiffel 3

Postby alienkidmj12 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 pm

anyone have these available ?

alienkidmj12

Re: pcb schematics for eiffel 3

Postby alienkidmj12 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm

anyone know if the can to coldfire on eiffel 3 has any use ?

olivierg
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby olivierg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:48 am

Hi,

End of this page: http://didierm.pagesperso-orange.fr/eiffel.htm

Answer: Why do you need? ? for mouse or keyboard or booth ?
For mouse, is not good idea PS2 is end of life, other free project using USB mouse exist.

Thanks
Olivier
TT030 4/32 TOS 3.06, Mega ST4, Mega ST2, 1040 STE, 2 x 1040STFM, 2 x 1040STF, MegaFile 30, Lynx 1

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:37 am

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:12 am

Very promising, if they'd only add USB keyboard support too....
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:29 am

I think Mouse only ...

Great are Wireless USB Mouse.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Yes, it's mouse only, but in the comments section I asked about keyboard support and the author of the SmallyMouse2 project replied that it's mostly a matter of interfacing it to the computer:

The advantage of quadrature mice is that, although the connectors are not standard, the output to the retro computer is, therefore it’s possible to make a universal adapter such as SmallyMouse2.

Keyboards are another issue entirely. Whilst the USB hardware of SmallyMouse2 is quite capable of interfacing to a USB keyboard; the real issue is the interface to the retro computer. They all use different keyboard layouts and different interfaces. Furthermore, to support a ‘scanned matrix’ style of keyboard (common in many machines) you need something like a crosspoint switch IC to emulate the matrix.

That’s the long answer, the short one is ‘not really practical’

Obviously the author doesn't have the time to create an interface solution for every vintage computer there is out there, but maybe someone here could look into that part?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

olivierg
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby olivierg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm

I have tested the smallyMouse 2 and create PCB (30x18.7mm) with minimum component and directly output to ATARI.
The small size of PCB can be place under 260/520/1040 and MegaST keyboard.
I have tested with this mouse:
Logitech RX250 (Wired)
Logitech M100 (Wired)
Logitech B100 (Wired)
Logitech M105 (Wired)
Logitech M187 (Wireless)
Logitech M185 (Wireless)

The AVR MCU (AT90USB1287) as only one USB input, but maybe with IC USB Hub can add other USB port.
The MCU as 128K Flash and under 3K is used.
(I try my prototype with external usb hub to night).

I am not programmer in AVR Studio, but it's probably possible to add Keyboard option.

Olivier
TT030 4/32 TOS 3.06, Mega ST4, Mega ST2, 1040 STE, 2 x 1040STFM, 2 x 1040STF, MegaFile 30, Lynx 1

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Did you order a PCB out of the KiCAD files in the SmallyMouse2 package or modify it and make your own design?
Regardless, that's cool (especially considering you need to solder SMD components)!

About USB hubs the author wrote this further down in the comments section:

You (and anyone else) are more than welcome to use and build upon the project – that’s the beauty of open designs. I do intend to look into the issue of keyboard support myself (no fixed time line though at the moment).

I’m not sure about LUFA support for hubs (LUFA is the underlying USB library I’m using) – If I get some time I’ll set up a test and find out what happens. SmallyMouse2 supports serial debugging; so it’s a good platform for such experimentation.

olivierg
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby olivierg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm

I have create new design for reduce the size and fit in ST.
PCB Prototype:
IMG_20171013_211010.jpg

I waiting the final PCB with small correction, i replace the JTAG connector and the USB connector is retracted for correct placement in 260/520/1040 with wired mouse.

Thanks
Olivier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Very impressive!!!

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Something which might be of interest....
Although for the Amiga, this SUM USB-HID interface could perhaps be adapted for use with the Atari ST? Maybe the author can be asked.
Then there's the open source AmigaInputToUSB project which allows (among other things) Atari joysticks to be used as USB HID devices. Since the joystick connector is a part of the Atari ST keyboard this could be of interest when using a USB keyboard and mouse.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

For a USB Keyboard you need an Chip with USB and serial connections ...

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”