External Ultrasatan "Identification unavailable" on Mega Ste

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

dimfil
Atariator
Atariator

External Ultrasatan "Identification unavailable" on Mega Ste

Postby dimfil » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:16 am

Dear friends, I need your help.

I connected an external Ultrasatan device on my Mega Ste. I changed the dip switches on the hdd controller so it's ID is 2 and now the IDs are: ultrasatan 0 and 1 and the internal hdd 2.
But, during boot I get the message "Identification unavailable" for the first two IDs and so the ultrasatan is unavailable to any driver or partition tool!
It is checked and working on a 1040 ste so it can't be a hardware problem on the ultrasatan side.

Has anyone experienced the same issue before? The help of those who already use an external Ultrasatan with their Mega Ste should be invaluable!

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: External Ultrasatan "Identification unavailable" on Mega Ste

Postby alexh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:06 am

Inside the MegaSTe are a row of headers where an internal SCSI card can go. Have a look to see if the card is fitted or there are lots of jumpers in place. IIRC if there is no card and no jumpers the external ACSI port doesn't work.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/MegaSTEACSI.html

[EDIT: Ah I see you do have an internal SCSI card so that is not the issue]

Could it be that the controller is ID 0?

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:13 am

Yes the internal SCSI card has a set of DIP switches to program up it's LUN. Perhaps investigate those?

dimfil
Atariator
Atariator

Postby dimfil » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you for your response!

I was quite sure that the IDs were OK. And they were. Beautifully assigned 0 and 1 for ultrasatan and 2 for the scsi controller. Three days of trying, asking and searching the net for possible solutions.

Problem solved! And it was no dip switches, no driver, no partition tool, nothing like this...

As a last point of defense I changed tha acsi cable for the ultrasatan (I have bought two like these from Lotharek) and my cable is this one: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=163
And... voila! Problem solved! I checked the first cable and I found some points of short circuits which are not present at the "good" cable after double checking.

Too many hours missed because of something like this...

Thank you all who may tried to think of something to help!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”