Inventronik Gigafile in Mega STe

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

dimfil
Atariator
Atariator

Inventronik Gigafile in Mega STe

Postby dimfil » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 am

I was thinking of replacing the internal hdd of my mega ste with an Inventronik Gigafile pcb version. It seems to me as an ideal item for this job. I already own a cased ultrasatan but it needs to be moved around other STs too, so it cannot serve as a permanent hdd replacement on that machine.

My first thought is that I can use this scsi connector to just remove the old hdd and connect the gigafile. Has anyone done it? Is this the correct way?

Another solution could be to use this acsi internal connector but in that case I don't know what is going to happen with the external acsi port, which I need to remain usable. Any thoughts or experiences on that?

Thank you all in advance for your precious help!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Inventronik Gigafile in Mega STe

Postby joska » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Don't use the internal SCSI if you can avoid it, it can't access disks larger than 1Gb.

You can use the internal ACSI without problems - the internal SCSI interface already does that. Remove the SCSI-interface and connect the Gigafile, using the adapter you linked to.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

dimfil
Atariator
Atariator

Postby dimfil » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 pm

joska wrote:Don't use the internal SCSI if you can avoid it, it can't access disks larger than 1Gb.

You can use the internal ACSI without problems - the internal SCSI interface already does that. Remove the SCSI-interface and connect the Gigafile, using the adapter you linked to.

Thank you for your answer!

My concern using the internal acsi adapter is if the external port will remain operational as I need to connect the ultrasatan from times to times. I have read in many threads that if you remove the scsi interface to use directly the internal acsi then some kind of "link" to the external port is missing and so it becomes useless.
Any help on that?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm

The SCSI interface will be replaced by the Inventronic adapter, which will take care of connecting the external ACSI port to the ACSI bus.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

dimfil
Atariator
Atariator

Postby dimfil » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 pm

joska wrote:The SCSI interface will be replaced by the Inventronic adapter, which will take care of connecting the external ACSI port to the ACSI bus.

Once more, thank you for your precious help!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”