STE - hard drive

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

JG53_Jaguar
Atari User
Atari User

STE - hard drive

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi All,

I have a Atari STE 1024 upgraded to TOS2.06 + 4MB of RAM. I can't remember last time I played with it but it's been ages. This morning I tried to set it all up and it turns out my ATARI SH204 20Mb hard drive doesn't turn on. Not sure what;s wrong with it but anyway I don't really care right now it's too old anyway. I think it's time to replace the hard drive with something more up to date. So I know I have a good DMA chip [C398739-001A (Atari-1990)-31]. So I'm thinking about getting Ultrasatan SD drive. Can I still buy it ? Is it a good choice ?

thank you for your help!

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: STE - hard drive

Postby alexh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Yes you can still buy it.

http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=94

The CosmosEx or MicroCosmosEx is the successor but seems to be sold out.
Last edited by alexh on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JG53_Jaguar
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:59 pm

thanks Alexh for your feedback, I have ordered the ultrasatan. Don't know what CosmosEx or MicroCosmos is...will need to look into it. Now I still have the original floppy drive working on the STE but do you know of any usb stick drive interface that can replace the floppy drive ?

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 pm

goetek still available for floppy usb replacments?
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 pm

ps im interested in your old floppy frive if you choose to chuk it.
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

JG53_Jaguar
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Ok so if I understand it correctly, MicroCosmos is the way to go for the floppy replacement but it's out of stock. Next production will be around MicroCosmos of this year? November is around the corner so not a big deal. Charles, I will keep you in mind if I want to get rid off my old floppy.

grobda
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby grobda » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:45 pm

gotek now has open source firmware;

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

with an OLED display its a nice bit of kit

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:56 pm

As the owner of a Lotharek-built Ultrasatan and STe I can say that they work well together, but my STe has (and has always had) the '001' DMA like JG53_Jaguar's does. I can recall at least one thread where someone with an UltraSatan, STe and non- '001' DMA tried every reasonable thing before fixing his card corruption problems by fitting a '001' DMA. However, opinion seems divided on whether the cause and cure are really so consistent or simple. Luckily the OP already has the 001 DMA fitted.

When my original conventional HDD failed it was down to failure of the SCSI to ACSI host adaptor in the drive unit, not the drive itself.

I bought a SCSI adaptor card to put in a PC running Linux, connected the SCSI drive from the Atari HDD unit directly to it and used the Linux 'DD' command image to read a sector-by-sector copy of the original hard disc contents into a file on the PC - at 60MB or so the file was insignificantly small by modern standards. I then found that I could use this image as a HDD image in Hatari (ST Emulator) so that was a great way to check that the HDD image was good before spending more money.

Having established that the image was good I ordered the UltraSatan and used the same Linux DD command to copy the HDD image onto an SD card sufficiently large to contain it - I used an old 128MB card which had previously been used with a digital camera, put it in the UltraSatan slot B and was able to read everything off it onto the main card.

JG53_Jaguar
Atari User
Atari User

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I just want to say that Ultasatan is working great with my 1040 STE (4MB ram, TOS 2.06), I bought the HDDRIVER and the Ultrasatan is configured to boot from the SD Card rather using floppy drive. The SD Card is 16GB so it took me about 7 hours to format it!!! So overall I'm very impressed with Ultrasatan :) Now I have decided to get SD HxC Floppy Emulator, the internal revision C with Blue LCD, just for the game images.

dimfil
Atariator
Atariator

Postby dimfil » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

JG53_Jaguar wrote:I just want to say that Ultasatan is working great with my 1040 STE (4MB ram, TOS 2.06), I bought the HDDRIVER and the Ultrasatan is configured to boot from the SD Card rather using floppy drive. The SD Card is 16GB so it took me about 7 hours to format it!!! So overall I'm very impressed with Ultrasatan :) Now I have decided to get SD HxC Floppy Emulator, the internal revision C with Blue LCD, just for the game images.

Seven hours to format the sd card with hddriver?
No, no, something else must have happened... May be you did not skipped the check with the ESC key. It is not necessary and in fact I was advised to skip it because it causes a large amount of completely unnecessary reads/writes to the card.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”