Value of a 2U Rackmount case for an ST = ?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Value of a 2U Rackmount case for an ST = ?

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:04 am

This is just something that really hit me for 6 recently, but I am on the lookout for a case to home my falcon in.

I am hoping to buy a Tower from one of the guys here, but what I do have, is a 2U Rackmount case. 2 pieces in 1mm steel. That I dont know why, but I have still got it in my shed.

Now, its been in an old manky box for a few years, we moved here earlier on this year and when I saw it, I was inches from simply throwing it in the skip, however, I still have an STFM and so i thought Id use that and knock it up into a Rack mounted ST, and I just never bothered.

Yesterday, I went and had a look at it. its rusty as heck, the paint is clinging on for dear life, but its structurally perfect. All it needs is for me to give it a bit of a sanding down, and to throw some spray or hell, even hammerite the thing for a thick coat, and it will be spot on.

Its in 2 parts and to be hones,t there is no bits to join the two, and so a few right angle pieces and some nuts and bolts are needed to sort that out.

But I have asked in Best Electronics ( and some other places ) and they do have these, but, in odre for me to buy one, they are asking $495 for the case, and $295 to post it to the UK.

Thats almost $600 to get one of these to the UK.

I dont like the way some people seem to ask extortionate prices, but money talks and so I was wondering what this would be worth if I was to

(A) - Leave it be as is.
(B) - Clean it up
(C) - Get it profesionally treated, and powder coated, or sprayed.

Just a silly wonder...
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Value of a 2U Rackmount case for an ST = ?

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Are you saying you've got a 2U rack case specifically made for the ST (with all cutouts made for the connectors, floppy disk drive etc) or is this a standard 19" rack case with a blank (undrilled) front panel which you intend to recase your ST in?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Fujiyama wrote:Are you saying you've got a 2U rack case specifically made for the ST (with all cutouts made for the connectors, floppy disk drive etc) or is this a standard 19" rack case with a blank (undrilled) front panel which you intend to recase your ST in?

Its a 2U case that YES, has the holes ready for an ST, plus 2 placas for a 5.25" drive to be mounted, so one CD or DVD and the other a Floppy drive perhaps or a 3.5" with an adapter, so a ZIP maybe?

The only things that are missing, are :-

1 - Mounts for the ST Motherboard to be fixed down onto it.
2 - some brackets or hindges to stick the two parts together.

Its 2-piece case, with a top and a bottom, that was started but never fully finished. It has been dumped in the shed, and so its rusty and needsa bloody good clean, but its solid and the rust is only surface rust. 15 minutes of sanding will sort that out, and a further 10 minutes with a spray can or paintbrush... Im just recovering from an accident and Im either too lazy, or in too much pain to bother with it.

I will bung up some piccies if you wish?

I honestly dont know why I dont through the ST into it and have it fully setup ready to play, but my old ST is an FM with only 1MB RAM and you cant do a thing with that... Plus I dont have any Mono screens to test it on anyway.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

Sorry to hear about your accident.

The 19" rack case sounds cool!
I say go for it! You can probably upgrade your STFM's memory using one of Exxos' kits, or someone else here knows of a better solution (I don't know much about upgrading the STFM as I've never owned one).
As for mono displays you can use a VGA monitor (provided it handles the 72Hz (as far as I remember) sync rate). A suitable cable can easily be made if you can do some basic soldering, or you can buy a pre-assembled one from a variety of source. A quick search resulted in this one on eBay popping up for instance. Personally I have a 14" Atari SM-144 mono monitor, but I recently got myself a second hand 19" NEC Multisync LCD1990sxi which I'm trying out with a Mega STe that I've just repaired. I haven't used it extensively and it's got loads of features and adjustments I haven't fully tried out but so far I say it's very good but not quite as sharp as the Atari mono monitor (I've also had an SM-124 which was even sharper than the SM-144), but then again everything's bigger due to the 19" screen so it compensates a bit for that. From what I've been told the NEC LCD1990sxi is the ultimate non-Atari flatscreen monitor you can get for the ST, mainly due to its customizable resolution settings. Read more about it in this thread.

I've been working on a similar project such as yours and if it weren't for the fact that I will be adding several non-standard MIDI and other features to the STe (meaning additional holes and mounts to be made for the front and rear panels I'd be interested in that 19" rack case of yours. There's a lot you can do with an ST these days to improve on it. I've just upgraded a Mega STe with a MonSTer board (6MB ALT-RAM, two IDE buses where I'm using one with a couple of super fast and silent CF memory cards as a hard drive replacement, Flash-ROM so I can install and use any TOS (or other OS) I like without re-burning the EPROMs and a battery-backed clock option), added USB storage with a USB Unicorn (attaches to the external ACSI hard drive port and adds an ACSI "through" connector so I can use USB flash/pen drives for transferring files between it and Macs or PCs) and couple of other thing. The Mega STe won't fit in a 19" rack enclosure, so I hope to add a similar MonSTer board to my STe, move the USB Unicorn over and find a solution for attaching a USB mouse and keyboard (there are a couple of solutions available for this, I just haven't decided on anything yet). So these computers definitely have more life in them!

If it's not too much trouble please do post a few pictures of it. Maybe you can get some pointers on how to mount the motherboard, or let any interested buyers see if it fits their needs in case you decide to sell. Regarding the asking price I suggest you look around on eBay for something similar, or hope someone who's familiar with these cases chimes in here.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Ok, I will chuck some piccies up when I can.
The VGA Monitor thing is the way I had with the MegaSTE, and it worked a treat for sure. Yes, I could knock up another adapter, but, for the last few ... ( insert timeline here )... My priorities have been mostly towards getting my Falcon setup into the perfect machine. I have just spent a few hundred quidses on gettign it fully sorted out and its now running sweet as honey, so my next option is casing thet up and Im kind of in talks right now, but Im not sure the seller actualy wants to sell at all, so maybe not?
But yeah, I recon with a RAM boost, and a HD, the STFM would make a great Midi setup.

As for extra MidiPorts, on the Falcon / TT I use the parallel port with the 8 Midi Out thingy ( Dont know its name now, but it dont mtter ) and for a short while, when I had the MegaST doing my Midi stuff, I used s single Midi and then a 3-port midi dongle thingy, and what I did, was pull the 3 port one apart, and solder the connections all together into the port of the MegaST, and then mounted new Midi ports into the case ( It was housed in a PC Desktop Case - not its own ) and so the Mega then had 4 Midi Outs and one Midi-in and they worked fairly well too!

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

sounds like a 'keychange' case. I bough the last one they had about eight years ago, I paid £25 I think :)

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:28 pm

spiny wrote:sounds like a 'keychange' case. I bough the last one they had about eight years ago, I paid £25 I think :)

Shhh... pretend you paid a lot more at least! LOL - Seriously though, is that it?

Typical... Best Electronics want $499 for one and £295 to post it to the UK, and you got and tell me its worth about £25?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm

This is the one I have, pics are from when I bought it, which was March 2010 it seems.

rear view.JPG

lid 2.JPG

base internal.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 pm

FatRakoon wrote:Ok, I will chuck some piccies up when I can.
But yeah, I recon with a RAM boost, and a HD, the STFM would make a great Midi setup.

I agree. And probably a lot more stable if you assemble any hardware add-ons (dongle expander, extra MIDI outputs etc.) because it won't be so sensitive to being moved around.

As for extra MidiPorts, on the Falcon / TT I use the parallel port with the 8 Midi Out thingy ( Dont know its name now, but it dont mtter ) and for a short while, when I had the MegaST doing my Midi stuff, I used s single Midi and then a 3-port midi dongle thingy, and what I did, was pull the 3 port one apart, and solder the connections all together into the port of the MegaST, and then mounted new Midi ports into the case ( It was housed in a PC Desktop Case - not its own ) and so the Mega then had 4 Midi Outs and one Midi-in and they worked fairly well too!

Sounds similar to how I expect to do it. Neat and tidy :D

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 am

spiny wrote:This is the one I have, pics are from when I bought it, which was March 2010 it seems.

Now you are a swine.
Yes, that looks very much like what I have.
The bars though.. I dont have those... I just have the very basic outer case top and bottom piece. It does have bits coming down for the external 5.25"drive bays, but nowt else.

Although, I can clearly see that it used the base of the ST case and so thats cleared that up.

Again, I iwll upload pics for mine, nowever, as you may or may not know or even care about, but I am disabled now and the case is in my outside shed, and while that in itself is NOT a proper issue as such, Idid make a huge moronic decision a short while ago and bought a server case, only for a massive huge rack mount server case to arrive on a trailer, and thats kind of in my way now, and stopping me getting through to the back of the shed.

Its a concrete shed, more of an outhouse actually and its big enough to have 2 cars and a trike in, but it only has a tiny single door... Totally stupid if you ask me, so thats a future project.

Fujiyama wrote:I agree. And probably a lot more stable if you assemble any hardware add-ons (dongle expander, extra MIDI outputs etc.) because it won't be so sensitive to being moved around.

Sounds similar to how I expect to do it. Neat and tidy :D[/quote]

The Moving about is not too much of an issue, but good solid connections defintiely are.
I hte it when you get it right and then a gfew days later, a wire somewhere is not quite right, and you try to fix it only to end up moving other wires and you end up with an earth loop you cannot cure, and in the end you decide to just riup the lot all down andstart over and then realise that the earth loop was right in front of you after all tat and you didnt need to spend several hours fixing a problem that didnt exist in the first place.

Dont laugh, you know you have done it yourself.

Fujiyama wrote:Sounds similar to how I expect to do it. Neat and tidy :D

If all goes well, the Falcon will end up, having the FDI, SoundPool, and also the Digital to analog adapter, all in one unit. Be it inside a tower case ( Doubtful if I am honest ) but certainly an ABS Box to give them a sort of "ALL IN ONE" kind of effort, because I only need a slightly longer cable for the FDI, I have already made a simple mixer so the Digital from the FDI and the Stereo output from the Falcon are mixed into a Stereo Analog output anyway... ( I used to use a Creative card wit ha live drive as that allowed me to have both DIGITAL and ANALOG inputs going into it, and I simply selected it to record WOT-U-HEAR and this gave it a basic but very effective DIGITAL and ANALOG mixer... Now I have a D to A box that takes care iof that plus mixes the Atari and the FDI into one, thus allowing me to get away with only needing the one input for AUDI, and this then goes into my smapler and that then mixes it again with its own audio... Stupid and long winded but it works... Only thing is, that I need to power up the Sampler just to play any audio from the Falcon. ( not a worry - I have not done any games but now my falcon is working 100% at long last, I may change that )

hell, I am waffling a load arent I?

What else?

Yeah, the ST in the 2U rack case... with only 1MB, Id rather not bother.
To sort out a HD for it, I need to get hold of an ACSI-SCSI device and yes, there are thankfully still options, but also to get the FM to 4MB would be costly... I might be better simply searching for an STE cos I have plenty of RAM that works great in an STE... Either way, even if I luck out, I could still be looking at £100-£200 easily.... I need to ask myself... is it worth it? - I may get lucky and find one in a jumble sale of course, or a mate might have one and will trade it for a few pints, but I doubt it.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am

the 'bars' on mine are just a bit of U shaped metal, spot welded to the case. I don't use that functionality on mine, I fitted blanking plates on the two 5.25 bays and set switches and the Eiffel display on them. I cut a separate hole in the side of the case for the floppy, where is normally is on a stock ST, as at the time, I didn't know how to extend the floppy cable.

I'll dig it out later and take some newer pics, I don't use it that often as I have a bunch of 'normal' ST/STes instead.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm

FatRakoon wrote:The Moving about is not too much of an issue, but good solid connections defintiely are.
I hte it when you get it right and then a gfew days later, a wire somewhere is not quite right, and you try to fix it only to end up moving other wires and you end up with an earth loop you cannot cure, and in the end you decide to just riup the lot all down andstart over and then realise that the earth loop was right in front of you after all tat and you didnt need to spend several hours fixing a problem that didnt exist in the first place.

Dont laugh, you know you have done it yourself.

Actually I'm in that space right now, so I'm definitely not laughing... well, it is a little funny that I keep running into those kind of problems again and again with the Mega STe I've spent so much time fixing and finally got working, only to break down again :lol:
Ok, I'm laughing now :wink:

Fujiyama wrote:Sounds similar to how I expect to do it. Neat and tidy :D

If all goes well, the Falcon will end up, having the FDI, SoundPool, and also the Digital to analog adapter, all in one unit. Be it inside a tower case ( Doubtful if I am honest ) but certainly an ABS Box to give them a sort of "ALL IN ONE" kind of effort

Yeah, a plastic box of some sort will be easier if you need to make additional cutouts, and if you don't need it to be 19" rack mounted you can save yourself a lot of work with most of the rear connectors by using something made for a PC, already having those openings. I know there are 19" server enclosures around, but they cost half a (sometimes even a full) fortune. Probably because they're not sold in the millions to consumers but rather something made for the industry so they can charge whatever they like :x

hell, I am waffling a load arent I?

Yes, and just what I like in these forums :D

What else?

Yeah, the ST in the 2U rack case... with only 1MB, Id rather not bother.
To sort out a HD for it, I need to get hold of an ACSI-SCSI device and yes, there are thankfully still options, but also to get the FM to 4MB would be costly... I might be better simply searching for an STE cos I have plenty of RAM that works great in an STE... Either way, even if I luck out, I could still be looking at £100-£200 easily.... I need to ask myself... is it worth it? - I may get lucky and find one in a jumble sale of course, or a mate might have one and will trade it for a few pints, but I doubt it.

Well, you never know :wink:
If your software (what are you using anyway?) runs on the Falcon you probably don't need an additional Atari with all that hassle. Jumble sale.... I was at one yesterday, hoping to find some Atari bits and pieces, but you guessed it.... nothing. But I have more or less what I need anyway (emphasis on "more" meaning I'll eventually try to sell off some gear when I get everything sorted out.

Well, this thread has inspired me to look into that 19" rack casing idea of mine again. The idea has been put away for a while, but now that I'm slowly getting my Mega STe up and running again, and the STe is already working (but needs a few additional bits and pieces) I think I need to get this project a reality soon!

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Fujiyama wrote:Yes, and just what I like in these forums :D

I often get moaned at for waffling.

But lets be honest here, what would you rather see? Posts that look like this :-

Q - Does it?
A - Yes
Thread closed

Or posts with more interraction and chatting?

I know what Id rather see. LOL.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”