Mega STe internal jumpers

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Mega STe internal jumpers

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Does anyone know the function of the following jumpers inside the Mega STe:

W401
W402
J401 (I haven't been able to find this one in the schematics yet, but it's right next to the floppy drive cable and to the right of the internal ACSI-SCSI host adapter)

I'm asking because I've just received a new 1.44MB Sony MPF-920 floppy drive which I want to try out, but I seem to recall an internal jumper which would allow booting from a "drive 1" instead the more common "Drive 0", so by changing the jumper I could try it out before resoldering the drive 0/1 jumper inside the drive itself. I suspect one of first two jumpers (or a specific combination) will allow that, or are they just for selecting if the boot drive should be an internal or externally attached one?

megaste_jumpers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Mega STe internal jumpers

Postby joska » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am

W401 and W402 routes the disk select signals to the drives. So if you flip those two jumpers the internal drive will become B: and the external A: It's the same on the STE and I believe also the STF and STFM.

It will not help with the "PC floppydrive use ID 1"-problem. For that you will have to modify the drive itself.

I don't know what J401 is for.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:09 am

J401 is the connector for the battery for the RTC. See page 4 in http://dev-docs.exxoshost.co.uk/MegaSTE ... 5-1990.pdf

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 am

joska wrote:W401 and W402 routes the disk select signals to the drives. So if you flip those two jumpers the internal drive will become B: and the external A: It's the same on the STE and I believe also the STF and STFM.

It will not help with the "PC floppydrive use ID 1"-problem. For that you will have to modify the drive itself.

I don't know what J401 is for.

Oh, I see.
Yes, a little different from what I was looking for. I'll get out my soldering iron then :wink:
Thanks for clearing this up.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:41 am

czietz wrote:J401 is the connector for the battery for the RTC. See page 4 in http://dev-docs.exxoshost.co.uk/MegaSTE ... 5-1990.pdf

Aha! No wonder I didn't find it in the schematics as I was looking for jumpers.
I should have known this as I removed the original battery a while back from that very jumper.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”