[FIXED] 1040STE - LO TOS ROM inserted wrong way

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

[FIXED] 1040STE - LO TOS ROM inserted wrong way

Postby kodak80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 am

I wasn't paying attention when swapping my TOS ROMs in my STE and inserted the 32 pin LO ROM chip the wrong way round. When I turned the computer on, the ROM flashed where the UV panel was and now my STE won't boot. :(

I have swapped back the TOS ROMS (which are the correct way round) and also swapped the CPU with a spare but it still doesn't boot. The power light is lit on the keyboard and the monitor connected to the video port is detecting that the computer has been turned on. Screen is black. No floppy read attempt.

My electronics skills are not good and so I am looking for pointers on what I may have damaged on the motherboard?
Last edited by kodak80 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: 1040STE - LO TOS ROM inserted wrong way

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:38 am

That's worst what can happen. EPROM burned heavily, and everything what is connected to it can be destroyed too. And that's a lot, since EPROM goes on data bus, where is almost everything connected. Start with glue replacement, and don't put back original ICs until it start to work - and maybe even not after that.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: 1040STE - LO TOS ROM inserted wrong way

Postby kodak80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you. I swapped the C300588-001 (shifter chip) and my STE is booting again. :D I must have been really lucky that this chip and the EPROM were the only ones damaged.
I will run some tests on it now it boots to make sure nothing else was damaged.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”