SCC (Z85C30) VSC or VSG for the Mega STe?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

SCC (Z85C30) VSC or VSG for the Mega STe?

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:56 am

I've bent an IC leg which is about to snap off, so for long-term reliability I'd better replace it.
It's the SCC chip (UA4) which the Mega STe schematic says is a Z85C30. The actual PLCC chip I see on the board is marked Z85C3010VSC.

The strange thing is that I find a "VSG" version at Arrow electronics which doesn't mention the "VSG" version at all in its datasheet (downloadable at the same page) but instead has a "VSC" version, while at Mouser they have the same "VSG" version for sale, but the downloadable datasheet there gives no mention of the "VSC" version, only the "VSG".

So does this seem like misreadings: "C" and "G" being mixed up, or are there indeed two different versions?
And if that's the case, are they interchangeable?
I've looked very close at the one in my Mega STe, and it's definitely a "C" (Z85C3010VSC).
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: SCC (Z85C30) VSC or VSG for the Mega STe?

Postby dhedberg » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:39 am

The Z85C3010VSC and Z85C3010VSG are interchangeable, VSG is just a lead free version.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 am

Aha! Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
And while I'm at it I'm going to order what I should have in the first place (instead of a screwdriver): a PLCC extractor tool!
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:08 am

Fujiyama wrote:Aha! Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
And while I'm at it I'm going to order what I should have in the first place (instead of a screwdriver): a PLCC extractor tool!

Yes! Good idea! :-)
Always use a proper tool! The PLCC sockets are fairly fragile.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”