Upgrades

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

banedon
Retro freak
Retro freak

Upgrades

Postby banedon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi guys

A few years ago I purchased an Atari ST 520FM from ebay as I had one when I was pre-teen and have fond memories.

I was wondering what I can do to upgrade it. Primarily I'd like to upgrade the RAM as much as possible (I think it's 4MB total is the max?), but other suggestions would be welcome. Any links would be welcome too.

In case it helps: The mobo serial number/revision reads as C070789-001 REV D1

Any help/advice gratefully received.

P.s. I don't want make any permanent changes with regards the case etc.

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Upgrades

Postby KLund1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 am

UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

banedon
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby banedon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:22 pm

KLund1 wrote:Any/All of these will work.
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/
http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=90

The Sky is the limit.
Enjoy!!

Hi KLundi

Thanks very much for the link - is exactly what I'm after :).

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am

Yes, Exxos has a lot of nice add-ons!
And while you're at it, with such an old computer you should really recap (replace the old capacitors) the power supply. Exxos sells recapping kits for the various Atari power supplies. Of course this means you (or someone you know) needs to have basic soldering/desoldering skills and know what you're doing (in the case of the power supply, to avoid electrocution among other things). Depending on the other upgrades you may/may not need to do a little soldering.

Another suggestion is to get yourself a MonSTer board!
This multi-function expansion board adds two IDE ports so you can attach an IDE to Compact Flash adapter (cheaply bought on eBay) which means you can use a Compact Flash memory card as a silent and fast hard drive replacement! And all within the computer. There's a looong discussion thread about it here with more detailed info.

It also allows for changing the TOS (Atari's operating system) in software and if I'm not mistaken you can change between two different types of operating systems if you like, or just upgrade to a newer TOS without reprogramming the EPROM chips, which of course is more convenient.
The Monster also allows you to attach a realtime battery-backed clock board (also available on the cheap through eBay) which is sadly missing originally on the Atari ST.

Finally there's an additional 8MB of RAM, but this ALT-RAM, so I suppose you'd still need to upgrade your normal ST-RAM as suggested earlier in the thread. ALT-RAM can be used for a lot of software, but not all (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), and you have to tell the software to use this memory beforehand.

I suppose you'll be downloading software from the different Atari websites/FTP sites to try out on your STFM, in which case transferring them via a floppy disk is the usual method to move the files from a PC/Mac over to the Atari. Another method is to use a USB memory stick with the help of a Unicorn which is a small box which plugs into the hard disk connector on the back of the Atari.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”