SCSI2SD V5.06b and MegaSte instability - blocks and sectors

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

SCSI2SD V5.06b and MegaSte instability - blocks and sectors

Postby alyre » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 am

Hello,

Just when it seems I have it all set up with HD Driver 10, and auto booting, partition C eventually become corrupt. I am using a 1G card. I am wondering if I need to change the number of sectors to something other than the default or if there are any particular parameters specific to the Mega Ste that are needed for stability. The drive is not terminated, as recommended for the Mega Ste. I pulled both resistors. Have tried other cards, corruption eventually occurs when trying to install additional software, so it seems corruption occurs during a write event. I have seen some reference to number of blocks but I see nothing in the software other than sectors. Would the number of blocks be equal to the number of sectors in this case? The device defaults automatically to a 1G card even if the capacity is larger.

Thanks

Alyre

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: SCSI2SD V5.06b and MegaSte instability - blocks and sectors

Postby Greenious » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 am

I assume it is the Atari Mega STE SCSI controller you are using.

Many SCSI interfaces for Atari are somewhat limited. All of Atari's own controllers, aswell as many others cannot adress more than 1 gb.
However, the internal SCSI interface of the Mega STE can be modded to handle larger sizes, I do not think it is supported by HD Driver but you can read more about it here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astams.php

Anyway, to find the problem, I suggest you try with different drivers. AHDI (Atari's own), ICD Pro are two alternatives that should work with SCSI2SD even though they are old and lack some of HD Drivers abilities.

You can find them here:
https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/hdd-tools
http://www.atarimuseum.de/downloads/tre ... di6061.zip

Lastly, HD Driver homepage and their forum is likely a better place for help, since this might be a bug in HD Driver.
http://hddriver.seimet.de/
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 am

This is not driver problem for sure. Actually, in case of ACSI - and Mega STE's internal ACSI-SCSI adapter is that, driver self has minimal influence on reliability. Because all is done with DMA chip. I would try termination for case. But more likely it is just some kind of HW incompatibility between Mega STE internal adapter and SCSI2SD adapter.
Now, the whole idea is not good. You just should get UltraSatan or CosmosCE - they use same SD cards, and connect directly on ACSI port. So, internal adapter is bypassed. It is proven - myself use UltraSatan on Mega STE over years. And no more 1 GB limit. Actually, today is even not so easy to find 4GB cards anymore. With TOS 2.06 you can have 14x512MB partitions, so 8GB card seems as ideal choice at moment.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:16 am

AtariZoll wrote:But more likely it is just some kind of HW incompatibility between Mega STE internal adapter and SCSI2SD adapter.

I'm using a SCSI2SD with such an adapter myself, and it is very reliable. My SCSI2SD is not terminated. However, there are several revisions of both the hardware and firmware, I also have a v5 but I don't know which firmware revision.

The MSTE/Stacy SCSI adapter does not like long SCSI-cables though, you need to use a really short one.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use AHDI 6.06, not HD-Driver.

AtariZoll wrote:Now, the whole idea is not good.

Yes, I agree that UltraSatan is a better solution but SCSI2SD is not bad either. It is cheaper than UltraSatan and has proven to be very reliable with the MSTE SCSI adapter in my Mega. 1Gb is not really a limit with these machines, you'd struggle to fill up 1Gb on an ST... The only real downside is slow writing, around 600kb/s IIRC.
Last edited by joska on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 am

joska wrote:... 1Gb is not really a limit with these machines, you'd struggle to fill up 1Gb on an ST... The only real downside is slow writing, around 600kb/s IIRC.

1GB is nothing today. Sorry, but you don't live in year 2017. And yes, only that slowness is good enough reason to not use it.
Why 1 adapter for task, when we can have 2 in row, with 1GB limit and slower work ? :shrug:
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 am

I have a SCSI2SD for my TT, the best driver is HD DRIVER 9.10. Mine would get file corruption on any newer version. 9.10 is also confirmed as working on their wiki.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 am

AtariZoll wrote:1GB is nothing today. Sorry, but you don't live in year 2017.

1Gb is nothing on a PC, or even a Falcon. But on an ST? Yes, if you use your ST to stream videos from SD-cards then 1Gb is too little. However, I believe there's only one person in the world who does that. You can probably put two or three thousand HD-adapted games on a 1Gb card. How many HD-adapted games are out there?

I have SD-cards in all my Ataris, usually 8Gb or 16Gb cards since they are now the cheapest and smallest available in local stores. I only use a small fraction of the space. Even the 32Mb (yes, Mb) card in my STE is only half full once I've put all HD-adapted games I actually like on it.

AtariZoll wrote:And yes, only that slowness is good enough reason to not use it.

Reading a lot faster, so depending on your use write speed may or may not be an issue.

AtariZoll wrote:Why 1 adapter for task, when we can have 2 in row, with 1GB limit and slower work ? :shrug:

Yes, no doubt that UltraSatan is a much better solution, but if you already have a SCSI2SD...

Personally I bought mine to use it as a removable disk on my Falcon, but could never get it to work reliably.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

I don't keep all my hard disk adaptations on 1 SD card. 1080 of it would probably take some 600-800 MB. But there are statesaves, and 1 of it takes half or 1 MB. So, it may be that only one game, what some plays little more may take 20 MB. And we are over 1GB already.
Streaming videos ? It's not streaming, just very simple playback, more like some demonstration of what old dog can do. That really can take a lot of space, but at moment none of it is on any SD cards. I watch videos, movies normally in full HD now.
However, development, testings can take lot of space. I do it on PC, with Steem Debugger, but then copy all files on Atari SD, CF cards because may need some during tests, + then I solved backup too. And as you self told, larger capacity cards are now cheaper.
"Personally I bought mine to use it as a removable disk on my Falcon, but could never get it to work reliably." - well this actually may be the explanation of problem - adapter is too picky.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm

mzry wrote:I have a SCSI2SD for my TT, the best driver is HD DRIVER 9.10. Mine would get file corruption on any newer version. 9.10 is also confirmed as working on their wiki.

Wow, this sounds like something that should be reported to the author for sure.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 am

mikro wrote:
mzry wrote:I have a SCSI2SD for my TT, the best driver is HD DRIVER 9.10. Mine would get file corruption on any newer version. 9.10 is also confirmed as working on their wiki.

Wow, this sounds like something that should be reported to the author for sure.

I did and spent a lot of time testing for him.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 pm

AtariZoll wrote:well this actually may be the explanation of problem - adapter is too picky.

In my case I'm afraid the problem is my Falcon :(
Jo Even

gemtwo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gemtwo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi , I did buy PP:s drivers for ACSI (internal scsi card on Mega STE) and have mounted the SCSI2SD Rev 5 latst FW card , i noticed that i had problems before i removed the termination resistor packs
I hanged sometimes before that.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”