Mega ST 4 and Satandisk - not all partitions visible.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

joacim
Atarian
Atarian

Mega ST 4 and Satandisk - not all partitions visible.

Postby joacim » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:55 pm

I've finally managed to get Satandisk to boot on my Mega ST 4 with HDDriver by making the C:-partition 16MB. I haven't figured out what version of TOS this Mega ST 4 is running but my guess is 1.02. Anyway, I made two additional partitions (D: end E:) and initialized them with HDDRUtil (edit partitons and then I clicked "init" on D: and E:). I then rebooted the Mega 4 and the partitions does not appear on the desktop.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here but after hours of Googling and trying things I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Mega ST 4 and Satandisk - not all partitions visible.

Postby czietz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:45 pm

You just have to manually install the icons for these partitions via the Desktop menu. (Don't forget to save your settings to a DESKTOP.INF afterwards.) TOS by itself will only add C: to the desktop, not any other partitions.

joacim
Atarian
Atarian

Postby joacim » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:56 pm

czietz wrote:You just have to manually install the icons for these partitions via the Desktop menu. (Don't forget to save your settings to a DESKTOP.INF afterwards.) TOS by itself will only add C: to the desktop, not any other partitions.

Troed kindly hinted this very fact and now my Drives have appeared on the desktop. Yay! How do I save it to DESKTOP.INF?

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Drop down menu Options, save desktop. Anytime you make any changes (new icons, moving and
rearranging icons, etc), save it so that it will be there the next time you boot up.

HTHs.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

joacim
Atarian
Atarian

Postby joacim » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:13 pm

DarkLord wrote:Drop down menu Options, save desktop. Anytime you make any changes (new icons, moving and
rearranging icons, etc), save it so that it will be there the next time you boot up.

HTHs.

It helped. Sort of.

The problem: The boot partition (C:) cannot be larger than 16MB. Any larger and I cannot install the hddriver on it and thus not boot from it. This however would be fine if I could create and use other partitions on the same SD-card.

I can create partitions and make them appear on the desktop but I cannot write to them, format them or use them for anything. I have tried one big partiton (450MB), smaller partitions (200,100,75MB) and just now 50MB with the same result.

When booting, the hddriver clearly shows that I have a number of partitions and in hddrutil I can see the same partitions. I have tried to initialize the partitions in hddrutil by clicking "Init" next to the partition (this is also interesting because if I make a partition too big, hddrutil does not seem to provide any preset block size which I think is because it cannot read and use the partition but I'm probably wrong?).

I don't know if I need to upgrade TOS to something more modern and/or if I'm just doing something wrong here.

Thanks again in advance for any help anyone can offer me.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Try this image: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
You need to write it on card with special SW, as image. http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
Then check it on Atari. Third partition will probably not work well, because your TOS is most likely 1.02 and it can max 256 MB large partitions.
Try to copy some files, directories between 2 partitions C and D.
I say it because what you described indicates possible write problems. The reason may be weak power supply of Satandisk, or SD card what is not compatible with it .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

joacim
Atarian
Atarian

Postby joacim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Try this image: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
You need to write it on card with special SW, as image. http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
Then check it on Atari. Third partition will probably not work well, because your TOS is most likely 1.02 and it can max 256 MB large partitions.
Try to copy some files, directories between 2 partitions C and D.
I say it because what you described indicates possible write problems. The reason may be weak power supply of Satandisk, or SD card what is not compatible with it .

I have confirmed that I have TOS 1.02 and have ordered an upgrade to 1.04. Thanks for your help!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 pm

joacim wrote:...
I have confirmed that I have TOS 1.02 and have ordered an upgrade to 1.04. Thanks for your help!

That's OK and will be useful. But I don't think that it will solve problem. Can you give here what is exact brand, type, capacity of card you using .
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

joacim
Atarian
Atarian

Postby joacim » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:31 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
joacim wrote:...

That's OK and will be useful. But I don't think that it will solve problem. Can you give here what is exact brand, type, capacity of card you using .

It's a TekQ card ("Beyond Your Imagination" no less) with 512MB storage space. The official spec says "TekQ SecureDigital 512MB (80x)" and it's supposed to do 12 Mb/sec writes.

I found another card, a Sandisk Ultra card with 16GB space here at home. The Satandisk didn't even want to deal with it.

joacim
Atarian
Atarian

Postby joacim » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Ok, I got a new SD card that is working fine with Satandisk. For two hours. I turned off the Mega ST 4 and then turned it back on and all the partitions was gone. I had to wipe the entire SD card with Diskpart in Windows and then re-create them to get them back. The only problem is, of course, that I cannot trust this for any kind of valuable files.

I have seen the Youtube video describing the problem but I am yet to find a solution for this problem. Is there one?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:35 pm

I do not have a Satandisk and my experience was with a CF not SD, that had this behavior.
On my Falcon, it worked once or twice and then the partitions are gone.
I re partition on my Falcon, and it works again for 1-2 times.

However, if I partition it on my Windoze and use it on my Windoze, it is always working... IDK why.

I do not use that CF any more. It was a cheap MIC CF anyway.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”