What screws go where

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

What screws go where

Postby fragedthewife » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:06 am

Both my Atari's have lost the screws which hold the case together.

I don't want to just go in there an put any old wood screws in I'd rather try to get the right ones and sizes.

What type of screws hold the the cases together are they threaded or machine type are are they all the same size?

Thank you.

Chris.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: What screws go where

Postby czietz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:54 am

The screws that hold the case together are self tapping screws. In the STE service manual they are designated "Screw self tap M3x10, 7 pcs.". I assume this applies to the STFs as well. A 520ST (without internal floppy) will have a different case though, and possibly different screws.

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fragedthewife » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:41 pm

super nice and easy to get a hold off, many thanks.
It will look better with its covers on rather than bits all over the place.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:16 pm

the ones at the 'front' are shorter than the ones at the 'back' only a few mm in it, but check to make sure you have them the right way round :)

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 pm

spiny wrote:the ones at the 'front' are shorter than the ones at the 'back' only a few mm in it, but check to make sure you have them the right way round :)

It took me a while but in the meantime I have opened a 1040STF which still has its original screws: All 7 screws were exactly the same length! That's also what is stated in STE service manual. I don't know about 520STs, though.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm

So I thought that weird as well. On the Falcon, it seems the front ones are shorter. On my 1040STe they are the same length. That one still had the warranty sticker uncut when I first got it, so most likely still had all the original screws in it. Though I did notice last time I took it apart that there are so many different lengths of screws holding the metal shielding together...
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”