16MHz STe accelerator compatible with MegaSTe?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

16MHz STe accelerator compatible with MegaSTe?

Postby Fujiyama » Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 pm

Apart from the other differences between an STe and a MegaSTe, are there any STe 16MHz accelerators which work in the same way and are compatible with the 16MHz mode in the MegaSTe?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: 16MHz STe accelerator compatible with MegaSTe?

Postby Greenious » Sat May 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Fujiyama wrote:Apart from the other differences between an STe and a MegaSTe, are there any STe 16MHz accelerators which work in the same way and are compatible with the 16MHz mode in the MegaSTe?

Not sure if I understand your question fully, but strictly speaking, it would be no.
Noone that I am aware of is using the same controlregisters the Mega STE isusing to control the CPU (8/16 MHz and cache).

If you refer to using cache, there are several.
ICD AdSpeed STE is basically identical hardwarewise, and also adds an FPU if you want to. There are others aswell. Some is manually set on/off with a switch, others use a software register, or both.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Sun May 14, 2017 8:51 pm

You understood correctly :D
My MegaSTe has started to act strangely, and as it also won't fit that well in a 19" rack enclosure I'm again reconsidering my STe for that recasing project.
With several add-ons and modifications it's (for all practical purposes IMHO) basically the same as the MegaSTe with the exception of the 16MHz mode. With Notator SL I can leave it on 16MHz and it'll automatically switch to 8MHz, then back again when exiting, so I was hoping for a "compatible" accelerator to do the same.

16MHz is nice for general use, but then again it might just be a hassle to switch on/off all the time (when using timing-dependant MIDI software) and with NVDI and the Blitter it might not be a huge disadvantage to not have it....

Those ICD accelerators are quite hard (and expensive) to come across these days, aren't they?
I also noticed Exxos sells a 32MHz accelerator for the STe. That might be an option, but I suppose only the 16MHz mode of the MegaSTe is recognized by Notator to be automatically switched on/off.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon May 15, 2017 2:04 am

Yes, these old accelerators with cache are almost like a holy grail... They were like $100+ 10 years ago, and have likely not diminished in value since...

Exxos accelerator lacks cache but uses fast eproms for TOS, which does speed up the desktop significantly. I haven't seen it in action, so I can't really say how it stands up to a Mega STE in practical use, using applications, but the benchmark numbers look very good. I suspect it even makes NVDI reduntant (since NVDI runs in ST-ram, it cannot utilize the CPU-speed like TOS), atleast on some parameters.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”