Mega Ste partial read of hard disk then 4 bombs

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

Mega Ste partial read of hard disk then 4 bombs

Postby alyre » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Hello,

I have decided to try and get my Mega Ste up and running. No floppy or hard disk so I grabbed both from my working TT. It get the memory check, then HD Driver 7 pops up on the screen, then the message "No partitions found", followed by "Allotted memory 46 bytes", followed by a crash with 4 bombs. I have swapped in a new HD cable, no change. Also changed the RAM, no change. Would seem to be at least reading part of the hard drive. It has Tos 2.06, a white sticker on the lower right of the mother board that says M031716. The controller is numbered C103561-001 Rev. V.3, all switches on. I assume the file system of the TT would be readable on the Mega Ste, maybe that is the problem ? Any guidance at this stage would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alyre

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Mega Ste partial read of hard disk then 4 bombs

Postby AtariZoll » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 am

Atari TT has full SCSI hard disk controller, where it works with regular SCSI commands. Mega STE has ACSI port and limited ACSI-SCSI adapter, where ACSI commands are used. So, it will load MBR of attached SCSI disk, but after that it tries with SCSI commands, what fails on Mega STE. Additionally, internal Mega STE adapter works only with disks where parity can be disabled.
You should look for some old SCSI drive suitable for Mega STE. So under 1GB, parity disable option. That should cost just few bucks.
I have mod for Mega STE internal adapter: http://atari.8bitchip.info/modmste1.html
And actually have modded adapter for sale too.
I'm here to discuss. To say what I think, share my experiences. That means not that I will not complain when someone claims that Moon is square. Will complain when someone jumps in without reading carefully what is written. Ah, and don't ask from me something you can self do easily - like search :D

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alyre » Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks, explains what I am seeing. I have gotten a Seagate ST5660N. From the web this is a SCSI2, does it have to be SCSI1 ? Also should termination be on, I assume yes because it is the last drive. If I was to add my external Link 2 to the chain, I assume termination on the internal drive would have to be off and the drive on the link II terminated. These is also a jumpered power option, should power from the drive option be selected ? 50 pin SCSI drives are not available in my home city. Going to Montreal, Canada in a couple of weeks so I really want to be sure about the SCSI 1 or 2. I understand they can be more than 1G but only 1G can be accessed ? This has become my retirement project, maybe an attempt to capture an earlier time. At least the controller appears to be working. Also looking into SD card scsi emulation as a possible option.

Thanks

Alyre

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed May 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Read my hdd quick faq, link to thread in my sig. If that doesn't help figuring it out, come back.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”