WIFI for all ataris over serial!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: WIFI for all ataris over serial!

Postby troed » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 pm

I like to buy stuff.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:06 pm

I am going to build one of these and try it on my TT here.

It looks like a great solution for basic networking- thank you so much for this.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 pm

TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Yes, for the version currently on my website, i.e. the one with configurable bit rate but without flow control, those three components are all that's needed.

For the version with RTS/CTS flow control I still have to figure out which components best to use. (The prototype on my breadboard was mostly done with stuff I already had.) Depending on how much effort I can put into it, the version with flow control still might take some time before it gets published, though.

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 am

Hi all,
I'm interrested in this wifi atari card.
Did you manage to make the version with RTS/CTS flow control working ?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Laurent, I didn't have time to take the variant with flow control further than breadboard level.

However, adding flow control doesn't bring the huge benefit one might imagine. One thing the ESP8266 WiFi microcontroller has very little of is RAM. We're talking about some kilobytes(!) available to the user. When the Atari -- using RTS/CTS flow control -- tells the module to stop sending but packets still arrive from the network, they have to be buffered inside the ESP8266. As the memory rapidly overflows, packets will be lost either way. Hence, I found it's better to configure the Atari in such a way that it doesn't have to use flow control most of the time.

Nevertheless, I might draw the schematic and post the firmware for the version with flow control the coming weekend. As for PCBs, there hasn't been much interest right now, so I didn't feel the necessity to design some.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 pm

OK, as requested, here is the schematic for the version with RTS/CTS flow control, in case you want to start building it. As it turns out, the ESP12S module that I chose already includes the required pull-up/pull-down resistors and miscellaneous circuitry, so the schematic is quite simple.

I will post the required firmware here (or on my web site) shortly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kamilion
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kamilion » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

I'm interested in having a go at this with the newer ESP32 modules... I don't expect SLIP to work without a little tweaking, but there's a stock AT firmware for the ESP32s, I'll play around when my 520STM shows up next week. At the very least, I expect to be able to reach the MicroPython serial console I've already got on my ESP32.

Incidentally, one of the espressif guys just presented at hackaday superconference, youtu.be/V-PiNVPp5h0 emulating a mac plus with four meg of ram at just around 7.5Mhz. I'll probably be goofing around with that once Sprite_TM publishes it, and my WROVER module with the 4MByte of PSRAM shows up.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Attached is the firmware for the circuit with RTS & CTS, see above for the schematic. I won't have time to update my web site. But the procedure to program the firmware is the same. As is the setup of the Atari, mostly. You just have to enable RTS/CTS flow control in the serial port settings on the Atari now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”