Atari optical mouse

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Atari optical mouse

Postby catmando » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:08 am

Saw this pop up on Facebook

IMG_0762.JPG

Coming summer 2017, pre order at info@lavago.de
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Atari optical mouse

Postby joska » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:09 am

Got a reply yesterday, price is €43 + shipping. A bit steep maybe, but then the ST mouse is a lot more stylish than the generic PS/2 or USB mouse.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:55 pm

joska wrote:Got a reply yesterday, price is €43 + shipping. A bit steep maybe, but then the ST mouse is a lot more stylish than the generic PS/2 or USB mouse.

Does that include the body of the mouse or just the board that goes inside?

Might be cheaper to hack an optical mouse and plant it inside.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:51 pm

catmando wrote:Does that include the body of the mouse or just the board that goes inside?

Just the board.

catmando wrote:Might be cheaper to hack an optical mouse and plant it inside.

Probably, unless you count the hours spent :) I did exactly that around six years ago, I believe I posted some pictures here as well. Works very well, but doesn't look nearly as nice as the board mentioned above. Also, the modification I did can not be reversed.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

tuxie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tuxie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Some technical specs
Resolution upto 8500 DPI
. upto 12.000 FPS.
. Lasertechnic
. Auto sleep and wakeup

Its a replacement of the internal PCB, it fits to all ST/F030/TT030 because it is pluged into the original Mouse port.

Kubik
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kubik » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Problem with hacking optical mouse into ST mouse is that you still end up with USB or PS/2 mouse, just in ST mouse housing :) There are some optical sensors that are sort of compatible with ST and can be tweaked, but you need to find the right optical mouse and then hack it. It might be cheaper, but takes time, and is difficult to reproduce.
I personally use optical PS/2 mouse with tavva adapter hacked into the mouse connector - it's still the cheapest solution I am aware of, and a bit more ergonomic... but yeah, doesn't look stylish :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Kubik wrote:Problem with hacking optical mouse into ST mouse is that you still end up with USB or PS/2 mouse, just in ST mouse housing :)

You must of course use a microcontroller as well.

Kubik wrote:...and a bit more ergonomic...

The ST mouse is just as ergonomic as the vast majority of PS2/USB mice.
Jo Even

Kubik

Postby Kubik » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I had similar discussion regarding the same mouse guts for Amiga, and people were complaining the delay caused by the microcontroller is too high. I am finding it silly, but some people obviously do see the difference.
I disagree - if the ST mouse was ergonomic, modern mices would use similar form :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Kubik wrote:I disagree - if the ST mouse was ergonomic, modern mices would use similar form :)

What makes you think that modern PC mice are ergonomic? ;) I have been through my share of mice the last decade, in search of something that does not make my forearms and wrists ache. The ST mouse is not any worse than the majority of "modern" mice.
Jo Even

ICS

Postby ICS » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:51 pm

The ST mouse is horrible imho.
Back when I was a youngster I had no problem with it, but once I got to know other mice I started disliking it.
Nowadays when I spent time with the ST mouse, my hand falls asleep pretty quickly while I can spend hours
with my "ergonomic" optical PC mouse (currently from Zalman). So I personally am not interested to "upgrade" my
ST mouse to optical guts, but would rather go the adapter + PC mouse route.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:01 pm

my current solution;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-USB-Mouse-J ... rmvSB=true

and;
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Recharg ... itech+t650

Works awesomely on my Falcon. What would be nice for this one though is if it also came with replacement microswitches for the buttons. I know back in the day I replaced one of mine because of Populous 2 killing it.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

papa_november
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby papa_november » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Yeah, if you're going to do a replacement pcb, you should at least include the option of installing the miniature microswitches that are standard on modern mice. The old dot switches are horrendous and wear out at the drop of a hat.

it might be necessary to file down the mouse button actuator posts to get the new switches to fit, but it would be more than worth it.

I'd jump right away at that board even at that asking price (which may go down with a larger print run) if the new switches were an option. It's possible to have holes for both kinds of switches in the same place on the pcb, so they could just be left unsoldered for the end user to choose at installation.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 pm

joska wrote:What makes you think that modern PC mice are ergonomic? ;) I have been through my share of mice the last decade, in search of something that does not make my forearms and wrists ache. The ST mouse is not any worse than the majority of "modern" mice.

Have you used wrist rest? I've found that mandatory for me when using mouse.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 am

joska wrote:
Kubik wrote:I disagree - if the ST mouse was ergonomic, modern mices would use similar form :)

What makes you think that modern PC mice are ergonomic? ;) I have been through my share of mice the last decade, in search of something that does not make my forearms and wrists ache. The ST mouse is not any worse than the majority of "modern" mice.

Oddly enough, I'll agree with Jo here. When I'm coding on my BBS, I've still got the original Atari ST mouse hooked up
to it and it doesn't impede me or tire me out any more than the Logitech cordless mouse on my 'Nix laptop. In fact, I find
myself missing the "clunk" from the key presses. :lol:

PS Have to admit, I really, really do like the Best Replacement mouse. I have one on my STacy and it's pretty
darned awesome. At nearly $40 though, it's too expensive.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”