STE time and date fixing

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Cooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

STE time and date fixing

Postby Cooper » Mon May 17, 2004 12:34 pm

Is there an easy hack to resolve the STE's classical problem, as the computer doesn't save time and date, and all is reset when switching STE off..

Any idea is welcome !
Cooper/Paradize
STe / STf / Lynx

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon May 17, 2004 1:37 pm

I used to have the clock by someone or other in a cartridge .. but that was for my old ST.

Wasn't there a auto\.prg file that saved the time?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

simbo

Postby simbo » Mon May 17, 2004 1:50 pm

i saw a while back an RTC {realtime clock } cartrige that does this timestamping {i also owned one a while back}

the cartridge contains a RTC chip {dallas 1302} and what looks like an pld chip or some sort of logic array

i think there is a project you can make yourself and it will work fine even if you unplug the cartridge and stick it all in the shed
a few months later and its the same time {quite accurate on a small internal battery}

place a WANTED post in the buy and sell thread
you should pay 20 - 30 euros for a s/h one {or less}

ill also have a hunt for schematics and projects allong the same lines
and place the links below

http://www.bygjohn.fsnet.co.uk/atari/y2k.html

important info about clocks and Y2K

i cant seem to find any H/B project links
hunted for a while and gave up
ill check the magazines index incase they ran a mod or project
in the german and english version

perhaps someone has a project to add an RTC

or maybe i can draw one up {if someone can scan theres {covers off}}

and make some good pictures it wont be hard to reverse engineer

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Thu May 20, 2004 9:48 am

Regarding a software only fix to the problem, such as an auto folder program, I dont think it would work, as although it could save the time the machine was shut down easily enough, the ST in it's standard guise doesnt' have any means to keep track of the amount of time it's off, so when botting again you still haev to set he new time, it would just simpyl have remebered the time it was last shut down. Marcel v2 is a pretyt good example of the problem.

I have absolutely no idea why Atari didn't put a RTC chip inside the machine as standard. If you are working with databases, not having a reliable time/date stamp is a nightmare.

I remeber the old RTC cartridge can you still get them somewhere???
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More

simbo

Postby simbo » Thu May 20, 2004 10:30 pm

ill ask about and see if one of my pals still has my old one

and ill let you know in a few days time
although a project to make one should be quite easy

AtariPsychotic
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AtariPsychotic » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:35 am

Contact Dalla Semiconductor and order some free samples of the DS1216E chip. Then plug that bad MF in a rom socket, load the Areal clock software and your smokin!

All of my ST's have this option and all keep perfect time and date!

simbo

Postby simbo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:30 pm

AtariPsychotic wrote:Contact Dalla Semiconductor and order some free samples of the DS1216E chip. Then plug that bad MF in a rom socket, load the Areal clock software and your smokin!

All of my ST's have this option and all keep perfect time and date!

LOL 8)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”