EPROM programmer for the Atari ST?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

iggydrougge
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: EPROM programmer for the Atari ST?

Postby iggydrougge » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:50 pm

siriushardware wrote:
iggydrougge wrote:I know that there is a patched version of ACCESS.EXE that works under Windows XP. I personally run mine on a pizza-slice Pentium.

Do you have a link to that patched version, or would you mind attaching it to a post here? (If allowed).

http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/hilosyst ... rammer.htm

siriushardware wrote:
iggydrougge wrote:Parallel-to-USB will never work since those adapters don't have the necessary real-time characteristics.

That was my assumption, but I don't know for sure how 'smart' the programmer is and how much it relies on the host PC for event timing.

Scenario #1: The PC does everything, including the precise timing for such things as programming pulse lengths, and the programmer just provides the hardware interface / signal routing to the correct device pins and generates programming voltages.

Scenario #2: The programmer is relatively smart and the interface is just used for the parallel transfer of data and commands. All critical timing is handled by / inside the programmer itself.

In the case of scenario #2, I see no reason why it would not work as long as hardware handshaking is used to regulate the back-and forth flow of data and commands over the parallel interface. (I forget what the hardware handshaking lines are called on a parallel port, but they are essentially the equivalent of the RTS/CTS lines on a serial port).

In theory we could write an entirely new support program in (say) Python which would be cross-platform, and combine that with a USB connected Arduino providing the precisely timed control interface. Or these two items could be combined into one on something like a Raspberry Pi which can run Python / can support a keyboard and screen for high level user interface interaction and also has a hardware I/O port, although signal level shifting (5V to 3V) would be required in that case. Unfortunately the PI presents a particular problem in the sense that it does not have an 8-bit wide parallel I/O port. (To read or write a parallel byte on the Pi, 8 individual bits have to be read or written to consecutively, which makes parallel input/output less immediate than it should be).

I have pulled mine apart (for repair purposes) and there is no microprocessor inside the ALL-07. Lots of discrete logic, but no place where you can download a program for the burner to execute.

If you're going to involve a Raspberry Pi, just implement a parallel port using its GPIO pins and reimplement the control software and the ALL-07 should be ready to go. The Pi could supply any kind of interface you want. But what your standard PC lacks is exactly those GPIO pins, which is what a parallel port essentially was.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Now that's really surprising, I thought you would have found an MCS-51 family microcontroller or something in there, and certainly I expected a large RAM as well that code would be downloaded into / read into on the way between the PROM / EPROM / ROM and the computer.

At least that hopefully means the machine will never die from firmware bit-rot (since there is no firmware to rot).

Mine (touch wood) has so far never needed repair in the 20 or so years that I have owned it. What was the problem with yours which made you need to take it apart?

iggydrougge wrote:just implement a parallel port using its GPIO pins and re-implement the control software

Oh....Okay. :)

(It sounds like there would be an awful lot of reverse engineering involved in doing that!).

Then again, it sounds like there is someone clever enough to do just that sort of thing over at the website you pointed me to for the modified ACCESS.EXE (Thanks for that).

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the links BTW!

iggydrougge
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby iggydrougge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 am

siriushardware wrote:Now that's really surprising, I thought you would have found an MCS-51 family microcontroller or something in there, and certainly I expected a large RAM as well that code would be downloaded into / read into on the way between the PROM / EPROM / ROM and the computer.

As far as I remember, just lots of discrete logic, PALs and drivers/buffers.

siriushardware wrote:At least that hopefully means the machine will never die from firmware bit-rot (since there is no firmware to rot).

Oh, it will. There are a number of PAL/GALs in it, though I believe they have been dumped. You just need another programmer to fix your programmer.

siriushardware wrote:Mine (touch wood) has so far never needed repair in the 20 or so years that I have owned it. What was the problem with yours which made you need to take it apart?

One address line died, and I haven't fixed it yet since I found a cheap replacement ALL-07. The construction is made out of three sandwiched PCBs, so tracing the fault isn't very easy. At least I now have a working reference.

olivierg
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby olivierg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 am

Hi,

Sorry for response delay.
I have found time for assembling & testing my PCB prototype of Junior Prommer.
I have found in original schematic 2 errors:
1) On IC1 pin 1 no pull-up.
2) On IC1 pin 11, is not connected to ground but to IC1 pin 9

Now i have tested with 27128A and 27C020 in 12,5V (with mega adapter), works prefectly.
I have launch another PCB production of JP and mega adapter with DIP, now wait 2-3 weeks.
I wait the FIN support in PLCC32 for create PCB.

Any people as the Junior Prommer software in english ? I have only French and German.

Bye
Olivier
TT030 4/32 TOS 3.06 SCSI2SD 5.x HD, Mega STE 4Mb TOS 2.06 DD, Mega ST4 DD miniCosmosEX, Mega ST2 DD, 1040 STE DD, 2 x 1040STFM DD, 2 x 1040STF, MegaFile 30, Lynx 1

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 am

olivierg wrote:Hi,

Sorry for response delay.
I have found time for assembling & testing my PCB prototype of Junior Prommer.
I have found in original schematic 2 errors:
1) On IC1 pin 1 no pull-up.
2) On IC1 pin 11, is not connected to ground but to IC1 pin 9

Now i have tested with 27128A and 27C020 in 12,5V (with mega adapter), works prefectly.
I have launch another PCB production of JP and mega adapter with DIP, now wait 2-3 weeks.
I wait the FIN support in PLCC32 for create PCB.

Any people as the Junior Prommer software in english ? I have only French and German.

Bye
Olivier

Sounds good. I made my own Mega Adapter. I use Pinatubo with English translation provided by the author. It's awesome.

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:07 pm

Exactly, the Pinatubo is great. I am just missing support for flash chips. Here is the link for download:
https://www.schwingen.org/files/pinatubo/

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”