Faulty Mouse Ports?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Valkyrie
Atarian
Atarian

Faulty Mouse Ports?

Postby Valkyrie » Tue May 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to Atari Forum so I'd better introduce myself briefly.

I'm 27, female, from Gibraltar and I've had my Atari 1040STE since I was 15. I recently got all the bits back together in the hopes of getting it working again.

It boots up fine and I can see the desktop on my TV. I had the original Genius mouse from years ago, but it would only move up and down, not sideways. This mouse broke completely when I unplugged it the other week, so I bought a brand new mouse on eBay which was in original box and never used. (So it should work, right?) I've just plugged in new mouse, and can't get the cursor to move at all. I tried ALT + Cursor keys and this didn't work either.

If its loose mouse connection, I can open it up no problem and touch the connections with a soldering iron, but why would this affect ALT + cursor keys?

Can anyone help me with this problem please? Thanks a lot :-)

Valkyrie
/|\ Atari 520STE (upgraded to 1040)

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Faulty Mouse Ports?

Postby Greenious » Tue May 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Valkyrie wrote:It boots up fine and I can see the desktop on my TV. I had the original Genius mouse from years ago, but it would only move up and down, not sideways. This mouse broke completely when I unplugged it the other week, so I bought a brand new mouse on eBay which was in original box and never used. (So it should work, right?) I've just plugged in new mouse, and can't get the cursor to move at all. I tried ALT + Cursor keys and this didn't work either.

If its loose mouse connection, I can open it up no problem and touch the connections with a soldering iron, but why would this affect ALT + cursor keys?

The keyboard mouse/joystick connectors will sooner or later lose connection with the motherboard. So it might very well be that that causes your problem.

Also, if you're going to open your keyboard up to resolder the mouse/joystick connectors, it might be a good idea to get some solvent (I recommend 96% alcohol) and clean the keyboard pcb from any spilt coffee/coke/whatever.

The keyboard is a very simple construction, it is easy to fix, even with the most rudimentary knowledge, however timeconsuming work. After you open it up, you will find there are quite a few rubber thingies in there, and when you put it back together, I guarantee you that one will be missing, but don't worry, it is supposed to be one missing.

---

Is your keyboard working at all? (ie, clicking sound present when pressing a key) or is it completely dead?

You haven't opened your computer up and accidentally disconnected the keyboard, or inserted the keyboard cable wrong?

About your genious mouse. Some mice will sometimes stop moving in horisontal or vertical direction. That can sometimes be fixed if you open the mouse up, and adjust the optical sensors, that reads the movement of the corresponding "wheel" inside the mouse. Most often you just nudge them a little bit closer to the wheel, and it works again.

Your problem description suggests that the problem isn't your mouse though, but rather the connector that needs resoldering.

-----

Another "problem" with the atari keyboard is that there is a plastic pin on the underside, that helps stabilising and holding the keyboard up inside the case. If you put enough pressure on the upper side of the computer, for example when storing it for a longer period of time, that pin can punch a hole in the keyboard PCB. A couple of cables, soldering iron and some patience will fix the broken connections. That particular problem can be detected if you find that some keys work, and some keys don't. The working/nonworking keys are often in groups, making a pattern on the keyboard.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Wed May 12, 2004 1:41 am

Welcome to the Atari forum! Its nice to see new people on here. I also was into the ST when I was your age. I recently got into it and have collected various Atari models!

It sounds like your mouse ports are needing some work. You can touch them up with a soldering iron to get the connections good and see if that helps. Do all keys work on your keyboard? You can just press it and listed for the click.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Wed May 12, 2004 6:56 am

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the alt-cursor keys trick did not work with all TOS versions? But it should be really unrelated to the mouse itself. Did it use to work before?

In any case, mouse ports getting loose is indeed a very common problem - I had built my own extension cords to prevent that (my very first electronics-related construction, of sorts), and is nothing grave.

That said, a woman. With an Atari. From Gibraltar (make sure you put a pin on the map!). How much rarer can that get? Welcome (:

Cheers
Gryzor

PS I'm 27 myself, had a 1040STFM when I was 15 :D
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Valkyrie
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Valkyrie » Wed May 12, 2004 9:33 am

Ooh thanks for all the tips guys, I will definitely be taking a look at those this weekend. I am sure that when I unplugged (and broke) the Genius mouse I loosened the whole shebang. The mouse connectors were working fine before I did that. :?

Never spilled any coffee or coke on the keyboard, so I know it is nice and clean in there. :) Also, a couple of months back I did open her up to realign the disk drive which had come loose inside the machine. I probably nudged everything else out of alignment at the same time :roll:

I have another (probably dumb :oops: ) question. Theres loads of games on the Internet, including ALL the Pompey Pirates disks I always wanted to make the whole collection of. How do I get these games from PC to Atari? Do I use an Atari-formatted DD disk in the PC or a HD disk in the PC or what?

Nutking
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Nutking » Wed May 12, 2004 9:54 am

Valkyrie wrote: How do I get these games from PC to Atari? Do I use an Atari-formatted DD disk in the PC or a HD disk in the PC or what?

Hello Valkyrie,

Always use real DD floppys DOS formatted to transfer files from PC to ST.
Sometimes You might need to reformat them because Windos puts strange markers on the disk. To transfer diskimages to disk it's best to use "Make disk"

http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~ifmar/makedisk/

(tutorial)

I wish you lots of succes

dNK

Valkyrie
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Valkyrie » Wed May 12, 2004 4:39 pm

:lol: Thanks everyone! I took the ST apart and clicked all the connection back into place nice and tight and now the mouse and keyboard work perfectly.

Now I have a new problem so I'll start a new thread.

:) Very happy Valkyrie

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Thu May 13, 2004 1:30 am

@Valkyrie

To get most ST and MSA Atari ST disk images to DSDD disk you need to do some trickery. First of all if you use anything higher than Win 98 you will need to be in a pure DOS mode to be able to make the >720k disks! It will not work in 2000 or XP. Use a tool like ST2DISK.EXE or MAKEDISK.EXE to transfer the .ST image to a disk. You will need to convert the .MSA images to .ST images first. Again there are tools out there, usually in DOS mode, but this part can be done in 2000/XP DOS shell.

Another way would be if you had a Falcon 030, TT030 or HD drive in a ST and a large RAM disk or HD. You would copy the zipped ST image to a PC 1.44 disk and then copy over to the ST and then dump it to a disk using a ST tool like MSA-II.PRG or ST2DISK.PRG, but I think this would probably not be a option for you! ;)

If you need help let me know.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”