My new, compact Atari -> VGA adapter.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: My new, compact Atari -> VGA adapter.

Postby ube » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Greenious wrote:
Well, I don't think anyone is at this point, however, it is always fun to get appreciation for what you do, even if it is just a thank you or a cup of coffee (or a beer)... lol

In the license file on GitHub I've said that if you sell more than two you'll have to donate €2 per sold unit to a charity of your choosing. So if you'd like to show me some appreciation now, donate some money to your local women's shelter or whatever you'd like. ;)
Atari STE w/ MicroCosmosex | Atari Falcon w/ Skunk| ubeswitch mk1 | ubeswitch mk2 | ubeswitch mk4 | ubeswitch mk5 | ubeswitch mk6 | ubeswitch mk6 v1.1b

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 pm

So.. this is the big looming question, and I can't figure out why this hasn't happened for the ST computers.... but why is there no scan doubler? This board would rock even more if it could take the 15khz of the ST and 'double' it to the typical 31.5khz of VGA. I've seen many scandoublers over the years for the Amiga, but have yet to find one for the ST. Granted, I understand it wouldn't work with Mono-mode, since it uses a 70khz frequency (I think that's what it is anyhow).

Is there an IC out there that'd do this?

Edit: Hmm, like this one? https://sites.google.com/site/tandycocoloco/rgb2vga
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:22 pm

I have three Asus LD's that support 15k. I suspect there are more than a few that just use this kind of solution rather than a scan doubler. What would be cool is a monitor switch with built in scan doubler. I don't know what the demand would be like though.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:48 am

I have 3 older monitors that do as well, with varying clarity. The problem has always been availability. I can see them doing off soon enough. These days it is getting hard enough to find a new monitor that even has VGA.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:12 am

Yeah, there will be a point when we will need an onboard DVI/HDMI solution for sure. For now I stockpile 4x3 LCD's and RGB monitors.

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:48 am

leech wrote:So.. this is the big looming question, and I can't figure out why this hasn't happened for the ST computers.... but why is there no scan doubler?

This is why: :)

Ok, granted. Some of the components (or at least one, U2) can be removed for use with an ST. But scan doublning made well is not an easy task..

Edit looked at the compoment cost: from AE the cost of the board would double just from adding ADC and DAC. $10 per board. And the size of the board would be at least three times bigger..

leech wrote:Edit: Hmm, like this one? https://sites.google.com/site/tandycocoloco/rgb2vga

This is for use with a FPGA. I've been thinking of getting into FPGA's but not just now...
Atari STE w/ MicroCosmosex | Atari Falcon w/ Skunk| ubeswitch mk1 | ubeswitch mk2 | ubeswitch mk4 | ubeswitch mk5 | ubeswitch mk6 | ubeswitch mk6 v1.1b

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:01 am

Atari030 wrote:Yeah, there will be a point when we will need an onboard DVI/HDMI solution for sure. For now I stockpile 4x3 LCD's and RGB monitors.

Apparently, VGA to DVI converters are expensive and hard to come by, costing around US$ 100! Would it be equally expensive to design a circuit for the ST's output directly to allow DVI displays to be used?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Ideally you'd just convert on the mainboard, but, that would be a big job. It'd be cool to patch TOS so the res' are switchable from the desktop. There are VGA to HDMI adapters kicking around ebay for a tenner, don't know if they would be any good though.

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Atari030 wrote: It'd be cool to patch TOS so the res' are switchable from the desktop.

*whistles* :wink:

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm

ube wrote:
Atari030 wrote: It'd be cool to patch TOS so the res' are switchable from the desktop.

*whistles* :wink:

:D

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Made a quick edit of the mk5 schematics.. Missing is a DIN13 female, but it's available in a Eagle library if you do a search on google. I've left some space on the left side for it as well. What needs to be figured out is how to to the switching of the RGBHV signals between VGA and DIN13, probably best just to connect them directly to the atari port (or use the outputs of the pots for RGB).

JP1 is a header to use with a jumper.. Or attach a switch to..

Please note that I haven't tried this in real life. But it ought to work.

http://d--b.se/~ube/ubeswitch-mk5-spec.zip

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Fujiyama wrote:
Atari030 wrote:Yeah, there will be a point when we will need an onboard DVI/HDMI solution for sure. For now I stockpile 4x3 LCD's and RGB monitors.

Apparently, VGA to DVI converters are expensive and hard to come by, costing around US$ 100! Would it be equally expensive to design a circuit for the ST's output directly to allow DVI displays to be used?

To be fair, I think the Indivision I bought for my Amiga was in the 130 range...

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:38 am

ube wrote:Made a quick edit of the mk5 schematics.. Missing is a DIN13 female, but it's available in a Eagle library if you do a search on google. I've left some space on the left side for it as well. What needs to be figured out is how to to the switching of the RGBHV signals between VGA and DIN13, probably best just to connect them directly to the atari port (or use the outputs of the pots for RGB).

JP1 is a header to use with a jumper.. Or attach a switch to..

Please note that I haven't tried this in real life. But it ought to work.

http://d--b.se/~ube/ubeswitch-mk5-spec.zip

Cool!
I have a DIN13 female part in my Eagle library (see attachement if anyone's interested). Not sure if I made it myself or found it somehwhere, but here it is along with an Atari cartridge connector which I made (should be OK, but double check before using) along with some other parts for some Atari projects I've been working on.

I suppose the switching between the two connectors should be handled by another TS5V330.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 am

In that case you'll need to switch HSync and VSync as well.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:54 pm

I love the design of this. Kind of wish the BlowUP remake was designed to sit closer to the machine like this one. It's brilliant, really.

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks. :)

Blowup? For the falcon? If so, I don't think it would work since those ports are lower than the DIN13 which means that the VGA connector has to be mounted over the port and probably put lots of strain on the PCB connector, unless there is a case that will sit against the computer.

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 pm

leech wrote:I love the design of this. Kind of wish the BlowUP remake was designed to sit closer to the machine like this one. It's brilliant, really.

I like the design too, unfortunately you're limited to what connectors are available and the Falcon030 uses the now discontinued DSUB19 connector for its monitor port. Those connectors are extremely hard to find and there's no "straight" ones available. With some extra work you could straighten every single pin of the connector but I don't know how secure it would be in that position. Hence, the 3-in-1 monitor adapter (which I assume you're referring to) was not made with a vertical design.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:14 pm

ube wrote:Thanks. :)

Blowup? For the falcon? If so, I don't think it would work since those ports are lower than the DIN13 which means that the VGA connector has to be mounted over the port and probably put lots of strain on the PCB connector, unless there is a case that will sit against the computer.

Yeah, I'm referring to this one, which sticks out pretty far, though yeah you'd have to make it quite a bit smaller for it to stand instead of lay down. That and the RGB port on the Falcon is a bit wider than the old circular DIN connector.

viewtopic.php?p=321484#p321484

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:17 pm

dhedberg wrote:
leech wrote:I love the design of this. Kind of wish the BlowUP remake was designed to sit closer to the machine like this one. It's brilliant, really.

I like the design too, unfortunately you're limited to what connectors are available and the Falcon030 uses the now discontinued DSUB19 connector for its monitor port. Those connectors are extremely hard to find and there's no "straight" ones available. With some extra work you could straighten every single pin of the connector but I don't know how secure it would be in that position. Hence, the 3-in-1 monitor adapter (which I assume you're referring to) was not made with a vertical design.

Oh hey, the man himself! Yeah, I totally understand why it wasn't designed vertically, it would have just been awesome if it could have been. Love the 3 in 1 adapter! I just tend to have a mess behind my computers, so still fearful it'll get damaged somehow. Still waiting on the case to arrive. Then again, still trying to find time to get it to work in MiNT as well :P

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:16 pm

leech wrote:
dhedberg wrote:

Oh hey, the man himself! Yeah, I totally understand why it wasn't designed vertically, it would have just been awesome if it could have been. Love the 3 in 1 adapter! I just tend to have a mess behind my computers, so still fearful it'll get damaged somehow. Still waiting on the case to arrive. Then again, still trying to find time to get it to work in MiNT as well :P

Yeah, time is the problem nowadays... that's what I miss about the first 20 years. I remember I sometimes wished time would to go faster! 8O
Not so anymore...

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

I might have an idea... It includes some 3D printing.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 pm

dhedberg wrote:

Soldercup DB19 are available, although a bit difficult to source. With that you could make a vertical adapter? I'm not sure it would work out better than your existing build though.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 pm

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Greenious wrote:Soldercup DB19 are available, although a bit difficult to source. With that you could make a vertical adapter? I'm not sure it would work out better than your existing build though.

Yes, soldercup versions are available, but I don't like using them with PCBs, they're kind of clunky. :-)
Last edited by dhedberg on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ube » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Time to bounce this again.

Troed did some coding. Looks like it works as intended.

Edit: Yoda says, sux at bbcode I do.

Last edited by ube on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”