atari ste corrupts filesystem when write

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: atari ste corrupts filesystem when write

Postby ijor » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:46 pm

exxos wrote:Similar they blame "DMA chip" as bad. Nothing to do with it. Just noise on the bus.

Well. I think it is clear that there is a problem with the IMP DMA chip. If it is really "bad", or "too god" (and then too sensitive to noise), it is just semantics. That matters only if you want to blame somebody, which might have been an issue back at the day, not now. For the purpose that most people care, the IMP chip has more problems, and the ST has less problems than the STE, even with the IMP DMA chip.

Yes, I think we all agree that the -001 chip doesn't solve all the problems. And that the ST (non STE) also has problems. But it is a fact that the IMP chip is the one with most chances to have problems. And more so on the STE than on the ST.

I am just curious about what makes the difference between the STE and the ST. It would be interesting if somebody with an STE motherboard that has problems, tries to "convert" the problematic ACSI interface to "ST sytle". That should mostly be removing the TTL buffer that the STE design added on the ACSI bus.

Regarding ground and earth problems with the PSU. It is definitely a problem with floppy drives. I have a floppy emulator that doesn't work reliably with an external PS. It sounds as could be an issue with ACSI devices as well. But here, soviet992 tried using internal power without noting any difference.

It can only take just 1ns for something to work and not work.

Can't say I am 100% sure, but that doesn't seem to be exactly the problem here. Seems to be more an issue of noise creating an extra edge on the DMA chip. As I posted in another thread sometime ago, from the point of view of synchronous logic, the DMA chip has the worse internal design.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:57 pm

I do plan to try a IMP on my STE next time I have it connected up. I have played around with those buffers of sorts a while ago aswell, but nothing very interesting to report there. Mostly people go for faster ones and doesn't change anything, but slower ones would be better, they would filter more noise.

PSU's are not simple, can't just change one for another, have to scope it and see whats really going on. A lot of Atari PSU's dip in voltage when the floppy motor turns on, that in itself could contributor to trashing a SD card. Motor on/off just at the wrong time during a write cycle. The list of things it could be is pretty large.

I always use my own designed PSU, 10x better regulation, could be that simple reason why I never have any drive issues with any of my STE's. Though all this is just going around in circles all the time. Unless people look into the problem (which pretty much nobody does) then there can't be any correlation between likely hardware combos which work or fail.

Theres no data as to what version of motherboard people have working or not working. I suspect early STE revision will suffer more than later ones with the -38. But nobody is on board into building up a database of these things. I can't do anymore work as I never really had any issues here and probably tried around 20 STEs out all with the -38 all various revisions and none of them fail. Its working out what is different with my setup to everyone else's.. not easy.

As mentioned on my last report on my DMA page, Stefan had issues with many machines, all fixed with the diode or bus resistor changes. I don't think Stefan has one of my own PSU's though.

My last attempt is with jookie if he sends me his problem machine. If my current fixes don't work, then I would keep at it until I got to the bottom of it, maybe there is more to learn, no idea. If his machine works with my PSU but not his, then it just confirms what I already found. Maybe there is some other problem which I haven't seen yet, though unless someone sends me such a a machine, then thats it, nothing more can be done.

Though im not going to keep posting about this stuff for another year and another, trying to get people on board to getting to the bottom of that problem they actually have. Everyone here seems to have their own ideas and views on things, that's fine, I am just posting what I have personally found and what others have tried and confirmed. If people want to help, then try stuff out, get to the bottom of it. Endless discussion about it isn't going to solve anything.

All my work is published on my site, people can take it or leave it, or just change the DMA if they want the quick fix. TBH I'm not really bothered about this DMA stuff anymore. i'm not convincing anyone, people still think the 001 is the way to go, so just leave it as that. It worries my greatly since the only problem I had was actually with a 001 DMA. Which is one reason why I started this work. But I think it will be some years down the line before people will properly look into it, maybe when BEST run out of 001's ? no clue how many they have, or maybe when people start having write problems with the 001.

It really reminds me of exactly the PSU case again. I've probably had 100 ST's though my workshop. around maybe 3 years ago I so many problems with machines it was unreal. Turns out the PSU's were all bad. Got a stack of like 30+ of them. It was a huge wake up call for me, which is why I do the re-cap kits and designed a new PSU. Pretty much no problems at all now, if any. Unfortunately, most people don't understand this reasoning. People turn on the ST, works fine, so what the hell am I talking about PSU's going bad. They never had a PSU issue.. so they think im mental or something. Then one day their ST will constantly crash and only then they will think maybe exxos had a point after all. They dont need a new PSU, so they don't think there is a problem.

Really gets into convincing people, never gonna happen. Frankly its why I don't really bother posting much anymore. Everything has been said many times over already. Not just with DMA , PSU's, and the rest. Some people accept 30+ year old caps fail, other says it nonsense, they never had a issue so its all rubbish. Was a guy on FaceBook who seemed to have a mini melt down last week about exactly that. Frankly I am just tired of it all.

I'm not trying to upset anyone here, but everyone has their own opinion about things, I base mine on research and what I have found personally. People can talk about stuff as much as they want, but unless people actually put physical work into things, then no real progress will ever be made. I've been saying exactly the same thing for almost 3 years now. so for me, its time to move on.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm going to order one of the Exxos designed PSU's i need a new PSU anyway, and can check if the issue is power related.
If not the case i have no problem in let Exxos borrow my US so he can test this issues himself, he probably its the only one that can get to the bottom of this.
Prefer to verify the PSU issue first, because shipping the US to UK and back to Uruguay could be a time consuming.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:20 pm

soviet9922 wrote:I'm going to order one of the Exxos designed PSU's i need a new PSU anyway, and can check if the issue is power related.
If not the case i have no problem in let Exxos borrow my US so he can test this issues himself, he probably its the only one that can get to the bottom of this.
Prefer to verify the PSU issue first, because shipping the US to UK and back to Uruguay could be a time consuming.

Its a good place to start. Though if your shipping a package then really please send the motherboard and US to me. With these faults have conflicting results its possible I may not have a problem with your US here. That board works with my US, so it would be the only way to diagnose is sending the US with the SD card , STE motherboard and PSU for US.

Best guess currently is the PSU, its the only thing which is different from what I tested with to what you have. Other than US itself. Though your welcome to send it here for testing just on its own anyway.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:31 pm

exxos wrote:
soviet9922 wrote:I'm going to order one of the Exxos designed PSU's i need a new PSU anyway, and can check if the issue is power related.

Its a good place to start. Though if your shipping a package then really please send the motherboard and US to me. With these faults have conflicting results its possible I may not have a problem with your US here. That board works with my US, so it would be the only way to diagnose is sending the US with the SD card , STE motherboard and PSU for US.

Best guess currently is the PSU, its the only thing which is different from what I tested with to what you have. Other than US itself. Though your welcome to send it here for testing just on its own anyway.

Talking about PSU Chris, i've noticed you've updated your site with the LITON POWER PE-2350-2 :)

That's the one i have inside my 1040 STF, the first atari i got. And yes considering the age, it seems to be a very good PSU, but not the most popular (i've seen more SR98 PSU than this one. but i confirm it's a very good one.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:37 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Talking about PSU Chris, i've noticed you've updated your site with the LITON POWER PE-2350-2 :)

That's the one i have inside my 1040 STF, the first atari i got. And yes considering the age, it seems to be a very good PSU, but not the most popular (i've seen more SR98 PSU than this one. but i confirm it's a very good one.

That one I had on test was doing very well. Regulation 0.2V but considering 80s tech.... It also depends on usage its had. All these machines I have usage is unknown, but I've had so many bad PSU's its unreal. While usage is a factor, over the amount ive had problems with, its mostly down to age. Though its not so simple as some PSU's stand the test of time better than others.

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 pm

exxos wrote:

Yes but sending the motherboard to UK and back could be a costly affair, considering that i have to add a 60% import tax to the total.
It will go over 100 pounds. In the economical sense of things even ordering another motherboard from you could make more sense.
Sending just the US also will be a lot less costly, maybe help get to the bottom of the DMA mysteries
Will try first using the new PSU then If not the case try other 2 DMA chips i have before.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:04 pm

soviet9922 wrote:Yes but sending the motherboard to UK and back could be a costly affair, considering that i have to add a 60% import tax to the total.
It will go over 100 pounds. In the economical sense of things even ordering another motherboard from you could make more sense.
Sending just the US also will be a lot less costly, maybe help get to the bottom of the DMA mysteries
Will try first using the new PSU then If not the case try other 2 DMA chips i have before.

Why such high taxes ?! Nobody else has mentioned anything. Normally stuff under £10 isn't even taxable.

Did I tag on the bottom of your board some SIL resistors, or do they have black ones around the CPU ? I can't remember if your board came before or after I tried the SIL resistors out.

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:13 pm

exxos wrote:
soviet9922 wrote:Yes but sending the motherboard to UK and back could be a costly affair, considering that i have to add a 60% import tax to the total.

Why such high taxes ?! Nobody else has mentioned anything. Normally stuff under £10 isn't even taxable.

Did I tag on the bottom of your board some SIL resistors, or do they have black ones around the CPU ? I can't remember if your board came before or after I tried the SIL resistors out.

Here i enjoy a 60% import tax on all packages that enter the country only cd's and books are exempt :D.
I don't remember about the sil resistors, but i will check when i get home and post some pictures.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:25 pm

soviet9922 wrote:
Here i enjoy a 60% import tax on all packages that enter the country only cd's and books are exempt :D.

Thats really bad :(

soviet9922 wrote:I don't remember about the sil resistors, but i will check when i get home and post some pictures.

If not then I can send some with your PSU.. assuming you can either change the SIL resistors, or tag them on the bottom of the existing ones.. Aside from the SIL resistors and PSU, I don't think there is any other motherboard related issues that I have come across. The motherboard should be pretty bullet proof after that.

Which ultrasatan do you have exactly ? I might just buy one and try it out on my systems here see if I can get it to fail.

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:42 pm

exxos wrote:
soviet9922 wrote:

Thats really bad :(

soviet9922 wrote:I don't remember about the sil resistors, but i will check when i get home and post some pictures.

If not then I can send some with your PSU.. assuming you can either change the SIL resistors, or tag them on the bottom of the existing ones.. Aside from the SIL resistors and PSU, I don't think there is any other motherboard related issues that I have come across. The motherboard should be pretty bullet proof after that.

Which US do you have exactly ? I might just buy one and try it out on my systems here see if I can get it to fail.

Great let me check if the SIL resistors are present i have seen you performed various modifications on the motherboard.

I got my UltraSatan ver 1.2 from Lotharek store "http://lotharek.pl/" its the "Ultrasatan - Internal version" a little cheaper and a lot lighter so less shipping expenses.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:46 pm

soviet9922 wrote:Great let me check if the SIL resistors are present i have seen you performed various modifications on the motherboard.

I got my UltraSatan ver 1.2 from Lotharek store "http://lotharek.pl/" its the "Ultrasatan - Internal version" a little cheaper and a lot lighter so less shipping expenses.

I just saw the internal one, if the external one is using the same PCB then I might go with external then less likely to damage it. I guess I could always take the PCB out for internal testing.. not sure yet. Though see how you get on with stuff first.

I got 2 emails I think from you about PSU price, I did reply to the first one and just got a second.. though you need to check my store for prices and shipping.. shipping toe PSU likely be expensive as its pretty heavy and going USA. Though charges all calculated on the basket page just before checkout anyway.

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm sorry i don't see the message on the outbox and i resend it thinking i have committed some kind of mistake.
Now i see your email got to my spam folder on Gmail for some reason.
I will place the order from your store thanks.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:40 am

exxos wrote:I have played around with those buffers of sorts a while ago aswell, but nothing very interesting to report there. Mostly people go for faster ones and doesn't change anything, but slower ones would be better, they would filter more noise.

I meant to remove and bypass the TTL buffers altogether. If the problem is worse in the STE, it might be worth to test what happens if you retrofit the ACSI interface in the STE to the STF style (unbuffered). I have no idea if it will help, just that it could be an interesting experiment. I do realize it involves quite some work. And just for an experiment, hard to find the motivation.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:51 am

Just to confirm: The UltraSatan in my working "STe-with-001-DMA + UltraSatan" setup is a V1.2, PCB looks identical to Soviet9922's.

What I can't say is whether my UltraSatan unit's firmware is the same as the firmware in Soviet9922's. Is there a way to interrogate this information from the UltraSatan? Has the firmware in the V1.2 UltraSatan remained unchanged throughout its lifetime?

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Finally i got Exxos power supply from customs, and looks great never seen a PSU that a toroidal transformer on it.
Followed installation guide from exxos web site, and get it installed in a breeze.
Now the moment of truth load TOS and save the desktop :D, but no luck just doing this get total filesystem corruption like before :( .

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:36 pm

exxos wrote:Though im not going to keep posting about this stuff for another year and another, trying to get people on board to getting to the bottom of that problem they actually have.

The question is - does the user want to investigate, or just fix the problem? If a new DMA chip actually fixes the problem, then I don't see why that should be a problem.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:07 pm

joska wrote:The question is - does the user want to investigate, or just fix the problem? If a new DMA chip actually fixes the problem, then I don't see why that should be a problem.

I *think* I sent some SIL resistors aswell for him to swap out if he wants to investigate more. I've lost track with it all, had that many people emailing lately about DMA stuff and they all give up after half hour. They all want the quickest fix, but this doesn't help anyone else track down problems.

With him now having the same PSU, his setup should be the same as mine, aside from ultrasatan itself. The jury is still out on if there is some problems with them, or just fluke bad hardware combos which work or dont work.

All he can do is change the SIL resistors, aside from that, really he would have to ship me his motherboard and ultrasatan for me to try it out myself.

So unless someone tries all the fixes I suggest, and still has problems, they they will have to ship the stuff to me to try out myself and debug. Its the only thing which will possibly cause me to "re open" the DMA investigation. Though I simply can't unless someone sends me a hardware combo which doesn't work.

I wouldn't blame soviet if he just wants to change the DMA and have done with it, but from my point of view, its just back to square 1 again. Its why I said this is the last time I am replying to all this DMA stuff. I've done all I can with the hardware I have, and as I said before, my STE's here all have the -38 and work perfectly well. Same with soviets motherboard, worked fine with my ultasatan. So likely this little "hardware combo mystery" will never get solved.

Just as a thought here, I am not sure what files he is copying, but I had some odd issues copying files from PC and then copying them around in GEM from one partition to another. Though it was the filenames which was doing it, took me ages to track down, think it had a '~' in the filename and I think that caused copying to fail and I think it just "quit". Not sure if it corrupted anything or not though.

I would also suggest scanning the SD card on a PC reader with HDtune and scan it for errors. I've seen some really odd stuff happen to flash if it loses power during writes. Sometimes it can trash the card totally , like literally kill half the cells. Other times a full format seems to solve the issues. Sometimes the obvious things get missed. So scanning the SD card should also be done.

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Like to clear that i like to investigate this issue before swapping the DMA, chip it could be more productive so i will try to test all alternatives first.

Could love to ship the motherboard but sending it and then back, could be quite expensive like i say before.
I have tested 6 different SD cards i just write the PP´s 1gb image to it and then use it on the UltraSatan don´t even touch it from windows.

The problem only show up on the STe i have x2 STf and on both the UltraSatan and the 6 SD cards works flawless copy files for hours and no problems using the same power supply.

Doing any write of any kind to the SD card on the STe could cause the full partition to become corrupt from editing a file to copy one to saving the desktop.

Have done the diode mod as you suggested before but i don´t do any difference.
The UltraSatan is powered from the floppy cable so it use the same PSU as the Atari STe as suggested.
Also i have Exxos PSU installed now and the issue continue.

I received the SIL resistors Exxos i´m not sure what i have to do where they need to be soldered ?

:D

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:50 am

Got bored, and to distract myself from the scorching heat from the summer decided to look at a pair of death STe motherboards i have in storage. One of them (the older one) have the famous 001A DMA chips so desoldered and socketed my current Atari STe motherboard inserted the 001A.
And now all DMA issues are gone! i run the same tests as before using the same SD cards writing the card on windows like before, from the same software, using the same motherboard and the same US.
Now i don´t have a single write failure i can do things i never dream before like saving the desktop :D.
The original one was a C025913-38 PH23-030 9J2 89 ( bad corruption )
The new one working fine is a 9040JAD C398739-001A -31 I60511-01 ( good one )
Also have a C025913-38 PH23-030 9H1 75 ( have to test this one and see ).

:D

Some pictures.

soviet9922
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby soviet9922 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:16 am

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:06 am

soviet9922 wrote:One of them (the older one) have the famous 001A DMA chips so desoldered and socketed my current Atari STe motherboard inserted the 001A.
And now all DMA issues are gone!

Great :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:03 pm

soviet9922 wrote:Super awesome file copy video :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTuKW-X ... e=youtu.be

Use Kobold please. Much, much, much faster.
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Soviet9922, I'm glad you were able to address your problem by fitting a 001-DMA.

Although your new PSU didn't fix the DMA problems it will still be a major improvement on any 'legacy' Atari PSU so is still a very good thing to have.

It's unlucky that Soviet9922 and Exxos are literally half a world apart, making it impractical for the various components involved to go back and forth in order for the apparently 'reliable' / repeatable problem with Soviet9922's combination of STe motherboard, original DMA IC and ACSI device to be analysed by Chris.

Hopefully the next time this problem comes up - and I'm sure it will - it will be someone a little bit closer to Chris and as chilled-out and willing to experiment as Soviet9922 has been.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”